“Deeply Dissapointed”

Ranked #7 of 3,396 Hotels in Guangzhou
Kuala Lumpur
“Deeply Dissapointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I checked into the hotel on 10th August 2014 & have specifically emailed back a reservation agent by the name of Anna Kwan to help me make restaurants reservation on the 8th August 2014 to reserve a table at Bing Shen on 12th August at 730pm for 6 pax & to reserve specific dishes on the menu knowing that they usually sell out that specific dish early. To my dismay I received no reply from W. When I checked I wasn't advised me on the status of my request either. Hence on the 12th morning I went personally down to the concierge to inquire if any reservations have been made and was told by a gentlemen that he tried to email me but apparently I never got the reply.

He assured me my instructions have been carried out and insist that I bring a hotel name card to show to the hostess to ask for my reservation. To my horror there wasn't any reservation but I was given a slip to head to a common hall on the 3rd floor to be seated. I have my business partners to entertain & to my dismay they told me that the particular dish I've ordered was sold out.

I always had a good impression on W and their front line staff and make it my hotel of choice whenever I am in Guangzhou. When I checked in this visit I was given rather lukewarm treatment and as returning guest as well as a SPG Platinum member I expected more.

As a hotel of this repute, I suggest the management to recall and analyse on their shortcomings so that future paying guests and valued members will be given the right treatment. Not even the best interior and technological advances can replace genuine warmth and efficiency when it's expected!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sonnysan
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hello sonnysan,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent experience and please accept my apologies that we’re falling short in our communication and service delivery. I have personally followed up with our concierge and IT teams, why the e-mail addressed to you has bounced back several times and how the communication in this case could be improved.

I really appreciate that beside your busy schedule you took the time meeting me personally and also your constructive feedback.

Please rest assured that service delivery is our main target and I hope that we can show this to you upon your next visit.

We look forward welcoming you back on your next visit at W Guangzhou.

Peter Katusak-Huzsvar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Long
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Spent a night at the W Guangzhou and service standard has been consistently high across the board for Chinese mainland. Also love the separate room for the loo, which comes with its own basin (would be a good idea to place a piece of soap in this room).

Bedding super comfy too. Didn't want to leave the soft duvet and pillow-topped mattress.

The WOW factor of W is becoming somewhat routine...details of the room decor have already shown minor signs of torn and worn. The light switches are fun to explore, but not exactly convenient to use. The dark corridor in room can be confusing.

The shower was not user-friendly and it takes a minute or two to get warmer water...maybe an environment-friendly design? Power sockets should have been better positioned, like, not behind the bedside lamp.

It takes about seven mins to reach the closet metro station. There is no major mall nearby, but there are a lot of nice eateries and bars around the corner, offering Turkish, Spanish, Macanese and Chinese choices.

The design might be flawed, but people made the difference. Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Hello KahOn,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at W Guangzhou. We are thrilled to know that you liked our signature W bed and the design of our guest room. Thanks for your comments and we’ll try our best to make your next stay with us even better!

Best regards,

Beijing, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

W should be a high quality service but i did not feel that, from check in untill check out . receptionist were really not too friendly and warmly..... the first of all is smiling, receptionist smil but not from their heart, sham... specially named 'Maggie" , it is a really a bad exprenice for this time with her service, we trust W thats why choose here which is the only one W in China, but service really so so , I think I will not pay this $$$$ for your hotel service again ...... This is the only one W in China and opend last year, we planed to saty W Bangkok end of this year, I have to think about this now....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LY5260
Hello LY5260,

Thank you for your feedback and please accept my apologies for letting you down upon your recent experience. I have already shared your comments with the Welcome Office team and we have re-trained all check-in and check-out procedures to make sure that we consistently deliver our high service standards.

I hope that you did not lost your faith in W Hotels and you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves. Please feel free to contact me upon your next visit that I can manage your experience personally.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

You stay one you stay at them all. Maybe that's the selling point. All the W Hotels I have been to are similar... bouncy music when you enter, dimmed lights, the colours black and white, non-attentive service, and the need to look cool. This relatively new one in GZ was no different. Was there for one night only and nothing was too memorable. Room amenities were good, with separate compartments for shower and toilet, and a walk-in closet. Room size was fair. They have some of the most unnecessarily complicated room switches across the industry and I don't know what value that brings to guests. Looking the window you look directly at a neighbouring office tower on the central axis of Zhujiang New Town (the new CBD). Location-wise it's at a weird spot. Unlike the Grand Hyatt or Ritz Carlton it's not directly on the central axis. But taxi was not hard to get so it's ok.Did not try the dining outlets but heard breakfast was so-so. Gym facilities were ok, not great.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CHM1
WGuangzhou, Director of Residences at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Hello CHM1,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your feedback regarding your recent experience with us at W Guangzhou.
I can assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously, and we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Juliana Salla
Director of Residences
Macau, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

GZ W shows very good care to customer. Before my arrival and throughout the entire stay, their associates contact me and see if they can assist me with anything. Their manager, Monica Zhang, is a great and valuable staff i must say. When I just check in at the lobby, the front desk associate already notes my preference through Monica's notes. When I arrvie my room, the wonderful amenity and the greeting card from Monica also suprises my husband and me a lot. We will surely come back to GZ W again in the near future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Annienisa,

Thank you for your wonderful review regarding your recent stay with us at W Guangzhou.
I am thrilled to hear that we managed to make your stay impressive. I would also like to thank you for your kind words about our Welcome Office manager Monica, I will certainly share your comments with her and the entire team and thank her personally.
Looking forward to welcome you back at W Guangzhou in the near future.

Juliana Salla
Director of Residences
macao
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Hardware is the best and software is getting better as well. People from welcome desk and concierge were nice and helpful as well as housekeeping.
Only one thing I wish they improve is internet speed in the room.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank hj225
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

It's stunning - once I walked into the lobby I was mesmerized and almost forgot I came for business. The service was fantastically helpful, i enjoyed my room and breakfast and the music CD in room was a nice touch.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Hello ideal_balance,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to know you enjoyed your stay at W Guangzhou and liked the W music. We hope to welcome you back soon!