“WOW! I Couldn't get the smile off my face! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of W Guangzhou

W Guangzhou
Ranked #7 of 3,396 Hotels in Guangzhou
Shenzhen, China
“WOW! I Couldn't get the smile off my face! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

It is now 4:30 AM and I am lying here in my room unable to sleep. I arrived at the hotel near midnight for check-in and after a late night (delicious) pizza from room service, I was ready to hit the hay. I put my head on the pillow and heard a faint thumping noise in the room. I thought it would pass but after a half an hour or so it just seemed to get louder and louder. I started to read and reread my emails and chat with some friends online. At 3 AM the noise of music was so loud I just wanted to bury my head in a pillow. By now I was on the sofa in the living room of the suite and actually felt the vibrations on the floor with my feet. My friend was sleeping blissfully near me so I didn't want to call the hotel to complain in fear it would wake him up. At 4 AM I gave up and called the hotel who said that they will try to find the source of the problem. A few minutes later the music was quieter albeit still audible. Now at 4:36 AM the music and thumping vibrations are back and I still can't fall asleep. I am just writing this review because I have nothing better to do at 4:37 AM when I cannot sleep.

Otherwise, the other is one of the best hotels I have been to so far. The design is mind boggling. Every tiny detail was well thought out. I am constantly holding myself back from wow. The service is outstanding. Quick help and answers to my questions and needs. The staff here seams a bit cocky to me, but I would be cocky too if I worked in the W Guangzhou. It's an absolute stunner. The food so far has been great, nothing to write home about, but I have not tried the breakfast yet. The suite was quite big, I wish I got the one with the balcony though. Perhaps next time.

I like the beat of the song now. It got a thump thump thumpity-thump-thump-thump *bit of drumwork* and again, thump thump....

If they do not have Tylenol for me in the morning I will be really frustrated.

Anyways, if you offer top notch Bose sound systems in your rooms, you should make the rooms more soundproof.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Yosef N
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Hello Yosef N,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I’m are terribly sorry to hear that a loud music has disturbed you all night long and so you couldn't enjoy our signature W bed. I have reviewed with our Night Talent our procedures to prevent any similar incidents from occurring in the future. Meanwhile, it is our pleasure to know you liked our food and our hotel design.

Peter Katusak-Huzsvar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Macau, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel designed in a very fashionable way. Everything looks unique and modern, which surprised me a lot! It definitely has it's own style and special. The high tech design in room was amazing! I just enjoyed exploring the room so much! The TV and radio sets in bathroom were so nice! The indoor swimming pool was beautiful, a little bit too chill for the water tho. Location was great, right in the Central Guangzhou. Perfect to hangout with friends!

This is a very cool hotel, highly recommend for people who wants to try something new, something different from the transitional hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Hello Freedom W,

We really appreciate your positive feedback and thrilled to know that you love our design and enjoyed staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again on your next stay at W Guangzhou.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Whatever, Whenever service is not quite in the W league yet and needs some work.

Overall this hotel was fine and most definitely in the 4 star category. However when I stay in the W i want to think "Wow' and this hotel just didn't live unto the W hype.

The reception and Woo bar are impressive as you arrive. The check in went well until we got to breakfast...I had booked a double room yet only one breakfast was provided. I discussed this with the receptionist and the standard China attitude of 'blank stare, say sorry and quickly move on' was adopted. Given i had booked a double room for two adults I expected the room rate to include two breakfasts. After having to take a fairly assertive tone, asking to speak to the manager twice and spending well over ten minutes at check in the issue was resolved. However this was not the welcome i expected.

The room itself was nice and it was comfortable. But again there was none of the magic W Woo that i've experienced in Miami, Bali and Hong Kong. My biggest gripe was the fact that there was no international or British plugs near the mirrors for hair appliances. I didn't expect this to be an issue and rung Whatever, Whenever for an adaptor - what followed was a farce. It took multiple calls over several hours for me to explain the problem and I was finally told the hotel had no more adaptors and there was nothing they could do. Now in a local Guangzhou this is fair enough - but this is part of the Starwood brand. Why did the designers not think to offer a variety of plugs near the mirror and/or why had no one considered leaving an adaptor per room?!

Next up was the spa and fitness/pool area. Again this was nice but nothing mind blowing. The spa and changing facilities need some work. The sauna was not working but no one in the W seemed to know this. There was no spare towels out in the changing room (one per locker only), there was limited amenities in terms of lotions and the body lotion that they did have is a glitter based one...perfect for Saturday nights not so great for a Sunday morning after you are covered in it.

The hotel wi-fi is so slow its unusable - i don't know if this is a limitation due to China's firewall or if this is an issue in the hotel. Either way it's painful and don't expect to read many emails or surf much.

The good parts...the breakfast was excellent with a great selection of options. We had cocktails and food in the Woo bar and this was well executed and very enjoyable. As we were leaving on the Sunday an afternoon tea was being set up with what looked to be a mad tea party themes and it looked excellent.

The staff we again average with the exception of one French gentleman who unfortunately I did not get his name. He was very much present in the hotel, always stopped to greet guests and generally help out. He was very much part of the W and what I would expect for this brand.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Ncon,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W Guangzhou. I am very sorry to hear that we did let you down on several occasion during your stay. Please accept my apologies for all the inconveniences and please be assured that we have addressed all of your feedback to the relevant Department Heads. On the other hand, I’m happy to know that you enjoyed the drinks & foods in our WOOBAR and liked our breakfast selection. Thanks again and I hope that you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves upon your next visit to Guangzhou.

West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

By far of one of the nicest hotel in Guangzhou and one of the nicest W Hotel I had stayed in and I have stay in many of them across Asia.
The area is close to many bars and places to eat, 5 mins walk and two dry cleaning/laundry stores which is always helpful when in GZH for two weeks.
The hotel staff are very polite and helpful, the lounge floor is huge and beautifully furnished, as are the rooms. The hotel isn't in the thick of the action which is good at night for sleep, taxis are very inexpensive, just make sure you have the hotel address in Chinese for the return journey written down and carry small notes as a lot of taxi drivers don't turn on the meter and then try to charge you 5-10 times the actual fare!!!
GZH has changed a lot over the past 10 years and there are many great places to dine at night, alcohol and wine are expensive.

Room Tip: High Floor and Club Rooms are great
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hello mark h,

Thank you for sharing your great review with us. I am very happy to hear that we managed to exceed your expectations and you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcome you back on your return.

Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

One of the best hotels in China and the best W in the world.
Great lounge, large rooms with all amenities. Service with a smile was fantastic.
Priced right for GZ. Great bars and restaurants around the corner. Great location.
Will stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Hello shinrai,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It is great to hear that we have exceeded your expectations and have delivered a great experience. We look forward to welcome you on your return!

Breda, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I've stayed in this hotel 2 times now and it's really great,
Entering the lobby is an adventure of it's own.
Marverlous breakfast and a great nightclub to unwind, so yeah I'm gonna be back in october.
It's close to a cool outdoor restaurant and bar area, approx 50 bars and restaurant.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank KJOverbeeke
Hello KJOverbeeke,

Thank you for your continuous support towards W Guangzhou. We’re happy to know that you have had a great stay with us. I hope to see you again on your return.

Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I checked into the hotel on 10th August 2014 & have specifically emailed back a reservation agent by the name of Anna Kwan to help me make restaurants reservation on the 8th August 2014 to reserve a table at Bing Shen on 12th August at 730pm for 6 pax & to reserve specific dishes on the menu knowing that they usually sell out that specific dish early. To my dismay I received no reply from W. When I checked I wasn't advised me on the status of my request either. Hence on the 12th morning I went personally down to the concierge to inquire if any reservations have been made and was told by a gentlemen that he tried to email me but apparently I never got the reply.

He assured me my instructions have been carried out and insist that I bring a hotel name card to show to the hostess to ask for my reservation. To my horror there wasn't any reservation but I was given a slip to head to a common hall on the 3rd floor to be seated. I have my business partners to entertain & to my dismay they told me that the particular dish I've ordered was sold out.

I always had a good impression on W and their front line staff and make it my hotel of choice whenever I am in Guangzhou. When I checked in this visit I was given rather lukewarm treatment and as returning guest as well as a SPG Platinum member I expected more.

As a hotel of this repute, I suggest the management to recall and analyse on their shortcomings so that future paying guests and valued members will be given the right treatment. Not even the best interior and technological advances can replace genuine warmth and efficiency when it's expected!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sonnysan
WGuangzhou, General Manager at W Guangzhou, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hello sonnysan,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent experience and please accept my apologies that we’re falling short in our communication and service delivery. I have personally followed up with our concierge and IT teams, why the e-mail addressed to you has bounced back several times and how the communication in this case could be improved.

I really appreciate that beside your busy schedule you took the time meeting me personally and also your constructive feedback.

Please rest assured that service delivery is our main target and I hope that we can show this to you upon your next visit.

We look forward welcoming you back on your next visit at W Guangzhou.