“Beautiful room, beautiful lobby and pool though a few issues”

DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou
Ranked #16 of 3,430 Hotels in Guangzhou
Orlando, Florida
“Beautiful room, beautiful lobby and pool though a few issues”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

New and modern hotel, where I visited twice recently when attending trade shows. An upgraded room was provided due to my Diamond status with Hilton. The room was beautiful, especially the tub with the full window view. A few issues are noted in this full review I wrote at http://boardingarea.com/pearlsoftravelwisdom/2014/05/hotel-review-doubletree-guangzhou-china.

I would stay again, but only if the padlocks are replaced by key card locks on the doors.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Chris R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Cmargoli,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou, and a big thanks for so much detailed feedback! I have copied your full feedback to our team and discussed in detail already.

Thanks for all your positive comments, and even a bigger thanks for your suggestions.

There are so many comments to reply, but I will just select a few key points.

First of all, the door that was padlocked in the lobby is not a designated fire exit, and all the 4 designated fire exits are open and available as always. We take fire safety very seriously and abide by local & international standards. However the reason the door was padlocked was because the main lock was broken, and good news, this has now been fixed, so no more padlocks.

Sorry that you had a few issues for English language, this is always a challenge, and for the coffee machine, we have instructions, so not sure if they were missing in your room, or hiding in the draw? Wil pay more attention to that.

Not sure what the issue was with the newspaper? We offer 4 different newspapers daily, so perhaps our team missed this with you? Something I will also be following up, and sorry for that.

Interesting comments about the Executive Lounge, and I really apprcaite, cause some of the issues I was ot aware of. Red wine glasses are now next to the red wine bottle (not in the fridge). We now offer bottled water as a choice. Never had anyone request, but 'we listen' so have added that one. And will see what we can do with the wines.

As for my phone number, thanks for your comments, I always offer to everyone my full contact details. Honestly I dont get called very often, but when I do get called, is usually something very important and I want to know directly so can help to make sure everyone receives the experience/service that they expect. Usually is small issues where there is a misunderstanding, or a very special request, and iseasy for me to help out... and above everything else... thats my job!

Please feel free to contact me anytime should you wish to discuss further? Meantime your comments have been some of the most useful I have ever received, and I appreciate your balanced approach to highlight all the good things as well as point out the suggestions to improve.

Thanks again!

Please contact me anytime should I be of further assistance: Chris.roberts@hilton.com Ph; +8618565028300

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel is up with a lot of good hotels. It has friendly staff, very clean rooms, comfortable bed, restuarant, bar, pool, recreation centre, coffee shop and reasonably priced. WiFi costs about US$10.00 per day and the room service is effecient and the food good. It is situated within the city of Guangzhou and near a lot of shops and restaurants. The views of the city are very good at night.
Will be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Maldann, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou. We are happy to receive your comments and thank you for the positive remarks. We will share your comments with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities. Glad you enjoyed the views of the city from the hotel. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another warm chocolate chip cookie and stay with us.
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is a modern and well equipped business hotel. I stayed here few days in March when it was raining. The rooms are clean, spacious and I had a good view over the city. The pool is outside (weather warning), and the gym is new and serves the purpose. There are various restaurants inside the hotel, which I used both for breakfast and lunch. Quality and service in the restaurants was good. Hotel staff was helpful and spoke English. Check-in and check-out was slow.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jeremarkus, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou. We are happy to receive your comments and thank you for the positive remarks, especilaly that you enjoyed the restaurants for lunch & dinner. Sorry if the check-in & out was a little slow, something we will look into! We will share your comments with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another warm chocolate chip cookie and stay with us.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

the hotel is very nice, the rooms,staff,breakfast,pool,gym everything was great. the location is pretty good especially if you are muslim because its near all the Arabian restaurants.would have loved to stay longer and definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Chris R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Moey, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou. We are happy to receive your comments about the hotel & team members, and thank you for the positive remarks. There are certainly some great Muslim restaurants near-by, perhaps next visit we can recommend some more for you.
I will share your comments with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another warm chocolate chip cookie and stay with us.
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We recently stayed at the hotel and enjoyed our stay. We exchanged US dollars for the local currency on our last day and checked out of the hotel. We took a taxi to the tain station and wanted to pay wiith the money we had just received but the driver complained that the money was "no good". We left for Hong Kong and want to exchange the money we had receive that morning at the hotel at the train staition in Hong Knog and had the same issue. Some of the bills we received AT THE HOTEL WERE COUNTERFEIT. I wrote to the hotel and claimed but they claimed they checked the bills (the bills were run through the machine before they were given to us). But the fact is we had 100 Yuan bills only from the hotel. Most were fine but some were not.
I would expect them to make a little more of an effort to check out the issue.
I am 100% sure we got the bills from the hotel.
Very disappointing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank OrnaKadish
Chris R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Ornakadish , thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou. I am sorry to hear about the problems you experienced with the money exchange here in Guangzhou. This is ofcourse a common problem in all cities in China, and especially in Guangzhou. I fully understand and feel your frustration with this, its happened to me at times also. I have fully checked with the team member & supervisor on duty to ensure that they followed procedure for checking the cash you exchanged and what they have handed to you, and also reviewed the case on CCTV camera to ensure there was no mistake. Our team did follow all the correct procedures for this, so honestly speaking the chances of the fake money coming from the hotel are very minimal, almost impossible. I am sure as a regular traveller you know many tricks that taxi drivers play with fake money, and perhaps this is what happened in this case. Rest assured we have already shared this case with all cash handling team members to remind them of the risks involved. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another warm chocolate chip cookie and stay with us.
Shenzhen, China
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Hotel and staff are fantastic. On site buffet restaurant was incredible. Internet was very slow with a weak signal. I am HHonors VIP, so expect the executive lounge to be my get away each evening. Was VERY disappointed by the beverage and food service. Hope that the executive lounge staff can learn from their first Canton Fair and make adjustments for further visits. Great hotel in a great location, just need to learn how to treat the VIPs better.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Russell B
Chris R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Russell, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou. Thanks for your kind comments about the hotel, however sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations in the Executive Lounge. I can assume which days you stayed with us, and agreed, we have some room to improve, the team was not so well prepared for a few days when we had an increased number of guests. Good news is that this has all been reviewed in detail, and trust that we wont have problems like this again. Sorry for the trouble! Thank you again, and I hope to welcome you back soon when we can show you the true meaning of our Doubletree by Hilton service.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed for 3days and 2 nights in Guangzhou China and stayed in Double Tree by Hilton, with my sister. The hotel was impressive, location was perfect, in the heart of the city but away from the noisy busy areas. The hotel is about 8-10 minutes walk to Beijing Street -the shopping area. About 5minutes walk to the park and there was a Chinese temple in there. The lobby was very clean, it was huge and a mix of modern and contemporary design. I would like to commend the friendly staff and good english speaking bell boys. The concierge helped us to book our Train Tickets to Hong Kong :) We appreciate the attention given to every hotel guests. Staff was very polite and helpful. It is a plus that the staff can communicate in English language well. The room was awesome, we had a great view of the city with the park (it was just a rainy day when we were there) We were located at the 36th floor, at the Hilton Honors Floor. It was very clean and comfy. We love the soft bed and pillows. There was a TV in the bathroom, by the bath tub., which was wonderful ehehheeh. The towels were changed daily and they have Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries :) The breakfast buffet was good, the restaurant has a modern design and it has a very large space. I love the wooden furniture in the restaurant. It gives a fresh , open ambiance of the place. There was a mix of food served at breakfast -Japanese, Western, Chinese. We enjoyed the pastry table. they had a great decor on he table :) BUT we didn't find the western breakfast that great. The hashbrown was as hard as a stone, the bacon was a tough as a rubber. You can request for a hot cholocalate for breakfast, although it is not initially offered.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Rowena, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou. I am very happy to receive your comments and thank you for the positive remarks. Sounds like you enjoyed the visit, and sorry for the weather - not much we can do for that one. Appreciate th comments about the Bacon & Hash Browns, will look into that with the Chef. Perhaps next time you can try a 'Bowl of Hot Chocolate'... something not to miss!