“Good Hotel”

Ranked #16 of 3,396 Hotels in Guangzhou
Auckland, New Zealand
“Good Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I enjoyed my stay at Double Tree by Hilton. My son regularly stays at this Brand in UK who booked us into this hotel. I do understand the constraints in a country like China. Overall experience was quite satisfying. Look forward to staying in one of the western countries.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Chris R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Rajendra, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou. We are happy to receive your comments and that you had a satisfying experience. The team is always focussd to create positive memories for our guests, so is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We will share your comments with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another warm chocolate chip cookie and stay with us.
Please contact me anytime should I be of further assistance: Chris.roberts@hilton.com Ph; +8618565028300

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed in this DoubleTree six months ago, and it ended up not good: air-conditioning only blowing hot air and keeping the room temperature 28 Celsius above, even in cooling-down January in Guangzhou, this temperature is definitely putting guests uncomfortable, because of that, loads of complaint letters wrote to Hilton HHonors, and the hotel apologized, and promised a change when I come back next time. So, here I am, having my second stay with this DoubleTree, for my 28th birthday.

As expected, I received room upgrade to a suite in Executive floor, plus a bottle of wine as birthday present from the hotel (I'm not into cake, that's all), and birthday cards, of course. As to the basic room conditions, this is a relatively-new Hilton property in China, so you won't encounter those typical "old" issues that exist in the Hilton properties in U.S.. The suite is big, comfy interior design and open-wide layout, "spacious" would be the correct word to describe. The bathroom is nice, big showers, bathtub next to the window, nice. The bedroom, hmmm...that's a piece: facing the Yuexiu Park and the old GDTV Signal Tower skyline, alright, not as "eye-candy" as the skyline view you may get from rooms in the Four Seasons Guangzhou, but this is still something can be called "Million Dollar View", haha.

The lounge benefit...last time I was here, it's not in service. Now they're providing breakfast, afternoon tea, and happy hour. The breakfast set is decent, indeed, not as much as you could get at the buffet restaurant downstairs, but I'm a person who prefer peace and quiet for breakfast, so I'm still prefer to have it in the lounge. Afternoon tea...not as much variety as the last afternoon tea I had in a Hilton property (That was Hilton Zhongshan Downtown), happy hour...as long as I can make Gin Tonic on my own, no complaints. hehehe. (One more "little" thing: the welcome cookie I received was cold, not warm or hot.)

Swimming pool is at the eighth floor, and it's a bit of...mind-boggling. I swam twice during my stay, once in the afternoon right after I checked in, another was on the next day's morning, both occasions "features" kids with wearing clothes, not swimming suits / trunks. I've confronted to the staff with this problem and asked them to make intervention, and he replied he will do it soon. However, from what I could see during my swimming pool time (more than 20 minutes), that staff was staying in the same location, chatting with his colleague and did nothing to those kids. Alright, does it mean that he thinks chatting with colleagues is part of his job responsibility, instead of managing the pool area and maintain a suitable environment for the guests? Fine, I understand those kids may be the children of some paid-guests, but that doesn't mean they could go swimming with wearing tank tops and shorts. If so, can I do the same thing next time I'm here, well, apparently not, since I'm not that barbaric / vulgar to run myself into "bottom-class".

Overall, I'm satisfied with the hospitality of the hotel staff and the efficiency (swimming pool staff excluded). However, since the "Room Temperature: 28 Celsius Above in Winter" incident, I still have my concern about the property, therefore, I shall have to consider it very carefully if I'm going to spend some nights during the winter. But summer is definitely fine.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Rodger C
Dear Rodger, thank you for choosing to return to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou. We are happy to receive your quite detailed comments and thank you for the positive remarks. Its always great to receive so much detail as we can share with the team members and help us improve. The AC is ofcourse much better, and apologies again about yoyur first stay. At that time we were only week open and had a few issues to balance the temperature, but all is well now. The Executive Lounge team have been doing a great job and now offer all lounge benefiits. Ofcourse if you would like a large buffet breakfast, you are always welcome to go directly to the main restaurant: 'OPEN'. For the swimming pool service, seems we dropped the ball there, apologies for that, and have already shared with the team so we can improve on those points. Once again, I have shared your comments with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another 'warmer' chocolate chip cookie and stay with us.
Guangzhou
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

One of the best hotel I have ever used. I shall stay in this hotel again next time I go to Guangzhou, China. Excellent value for money spent. Clean and good service. Central location, within walking distance to subway.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Eliot, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou. Thanks so much for your comments, you are simply too kind to say we are one of the best hotel ever! Certainly the team and I all try very hard to create memorable experiences for everyone, and comments like yours will motivate everyone to try even harder! The subway is close as you mentioned, and actually there are 3 subway sttion in walking distance. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another warm chocolate chip cookie and stay with us.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Hotel is great, especially the cookie!!! Room had a great view on high floor with floor to ceiling windows. Restaurants were excellent, room spotless and very large. I need to compliment Adam, the restaurant manager on property. He was extremely helpful and told us many places to see and places to go to shop. Thanks Adam ! My only complaint is that a hotel of this quality shouldn't nickel and dime you to death with $10 USD a night charge for wifi. As I was told that it's a Hilton policy to charge for WIFI , that's not true at all since only 3 weeks ago I stayed in a Hilton in Carlsbad Ca. that offered free WIFI in the rooms.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are great and very very large.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JPY, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou. We are happy to receive your positive comments about the hotel, the rooms, and ofcourse the 'Cookie'! A big thanks for your kind words about Adam, he is always trying his best to help people visiting Guangzhou with tips and tricks on where to go and what to see. he will be very hapy to read your comments. As for the Internet charge, I fully understand your comments, however it is actually a Hilton Policy. I cannot answer for the hotel you mentioned, but is Asia Pacific there is not one Hilton or Doubletree by Hilton that offers complementary internet. Having said that, we do offer free unlimited WIFI in all public areas. Thanks again & I will share your comments with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another warm chocolate chip cookie and stay with us.
Ahmedabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Property is what you would expect a Hilton to be, and as usual when you Checkin to a Doubletree you get a nice Cookie, Loved that Cookie. This is a New Property, as Hilton is the Late entrant in China Market, very well Maintained.
We Stayed here twice during Canton Fair and both the Stays were Excellent. They Run Free Shuttle to the Canton Fair Venue which most of the Hotels do in Guangzhou.
The Rooms are Very Comfortable, and Nicely Appointed. Take a Higher Floor to get a Nice view.
The Breakfast is Good, a huge spread and Top Quality Food.
The Location is a bit off, Not Close to a Metro. You need to take a Cab for most of the places, which is cheap in Guangzhou. Its a bit difficult for the Taxi guys to Understand the location of this Hotel as its a New Property. So always Carry the Hotel Card.

Room Tip: Take a Higher Floor Room for nice Views
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear MJX, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou. We are all very happy to receive your comments and thank you for the positive remarks about the hotel and nice rooms etc. Glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay during Canton Fair, and perhaps next time we can do a better job to point out the Metro station, actually there are 3 in walking distance (not more than 10 mins) from the hotel. We will share your comments with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another warm chocolate chip cookie and stay with us.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed at the DoubleTree in Guangzhou for several days this month while on business.

Overall, I was very impressed by the overall decoration and cleanliness of the hotel. It is in pristine condition, with the grandeur of its larger cousins, yet the homeliness you would come to expect from a top-class boutique hotel.

The hotel is located in a decent area in Guangzhou - it is in a fairly busy commercial district, but far enough away from office buildings and shopping centres that you don't get too many crowds on the street as you walk out of the main doors. While others may deduct a few points for there being a lack of restaurants or other amenities around the hotel, I personally think that the most important thing is to have a convenience store nearby that you can visit at any time to get water, bottled drinks or snacks - and while it is true that there aren't that many shops nearby, there is a very good convenience store a stone's throw away on the left hand side of the hotel as you walk out the main doors.

The most impressive part of the hotel is the rooms. They are spacious, clean and very nicely decorated. My room on the upper level guest floor (above 25th floor, but not executive) had a fantastic bath tub with a separate shower and toilet, large bed, an ottoman, flat screen TV, several desks and tables - the room had large bay windows with stunning views of the vicinity as well as all the standard facilities you would expect from a top class hotel. It was very comfortable and cozy and I slept very well.

Overall my stay was very pleasant and comfortable. The hotel buffet breakfast is as good as they come in the region and there are several choices of restaurant, together with a lobby lounge with decent live music in the evenings. There is also a cake shop opposite for those that need to buy souvenirs.

Our company used the limousine service - the prices were on par with other international hotels, but the car was new and clean, and the service of the driver was very good. In terms of service, overall, I found all the staff to be very friendly, polite and well-trained, especially the front door staff.

If I were to be picky, then I would point out these few minor gripes:

- As with every review I write, I still don't understand why in this day and age, hotels still charge for WiFi internet service in the rooms. It is free in virtually all shops and institutions (convenience stores, cafes, government buildings) in just about every modern country, yet hotels still insist on charging an extortionate amount of money for these services. As a business traveller, this baffles me, but to be fair to the DoubleTree Guangzhou, this is not unique to them;

- Smoking. I asked for a non-smoking floor, yet the smell of smoke was very noticeable along the lobby as I walked to my room. It was also very common to see guests smoking in the lifts and in the lobby. Which brings me on to my next minor gripe;

- Service of staff. While the majority of the staff were genuinely excellent, there were a few at the front desk that appeared pretty blasé to just about everything - they didn't give any friendly reminders to guests that were smoking and on two occasions I had to swap my key card because they had 'forgotten to input the room number into the card'.

That said; overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HK_Bigman
Chris R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear HK_bigman,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou. Great to receive so many wonderful coments & feedback about the hotel, its always good to hear that we are doing tings well.

Even more important to receive the suggestions where to improve.

As for the WIFI, we do offer free WIFI in all public areas, which many hotels do not. And our price for WIFI is less than USD$10 for 24 hours, so is equal cheapest among the leading hotels in Guangzhou. It is still a global standard across all Hilton Worldwide Hotels for charging, but, we are offering a very competative price.

As for smoking, apologies for that. Please remember this is China and although we do our best to control this, sometimes guests have their own ideas.

Finally regarding the team members service, ceratinaly something I have alreday shared with our team yesterday. Perhaps somewhere we can improve.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

New and modern hotel, where I visited twice recently when attending trade shows. An upgraded room was provided due to my Diamond status with Hilton. The room was beautiful, especially the tub with the full window view. A few issues are noted in this full review I wrote at http://boardingarea.com/pearlsoftravelwisdom/2014/05/hotel-review-doubletree-guangzhou-china.

I would stay again, but only if the padlocks are replaced by key card locks on the doors.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Cmargoli,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou, and a big thanks for so much detailed feedback! I have copied your full feedback to our team and discussed in detail already.

Thanks for all your positive comments, and even a bigger thanks for your suggestions.

There are so many comments to reply, but I will just select a few key points.

First of all, the door that was padlocked in the lobby is not a designated fire exit, and all the 4 designated fire exits are open and available as always. We take fire safety very seriously and abide by local & international standards. However the reason the door was padlocked was because the main lock was broken, and good news, this has now been fixed, so no more padlocks.

Sorry that you had a few issues for English language, this is always a challenge, and for the coffee machine, we have instructions, so not sure if they were missing in your room, or hiding in the draw? Wil pay more attention to that.

Not sure what the issue was with the newspaper? We offer 4 different newspapers daily, so perhaps our team missed this with you? Something I will also be following up, and sorry for that.

Interesting comments about the Executive Lounge, and I really apprcaite, cause some of the issues I was ot aware of. Red wine glasses are now next to the red wine bottle (not in the fridge). We now offer bottled water as a choice. Never had anyone request, but 'we listen' so have added that one. And will see what we can do with the wines.

As for my phone number, thanks for your comments, I always offer to everyone my full contact details. Honestly I dont get called very often, but when I do get called, is usually something very important and I want to know directly so can help to make sure everyone receives the experience/service that they expect. Usually is small issues where there is a misunderstanding, or a very special request, and iseasy for me to help out... and above everything else... thats my job!

Please feel free to contact me anytime should you wish to discuss further? Meantime your comments have been some of the most useful I have ever received, and I appreciate your balanced approach to highlight all the good things as well as point out the suggestions to improve.

Thanks again!