“Excellent Grill Restaurant”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 September 2014

We had an excellent steak and side dishes, accompanied with a nice bottle of wine. The Chef was around to greet us and check if we were enjoying our food. Service was attentive. A definitely a must go place if you are looking for a good grill while in Guangzhou.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Ambience is definitely nice considering its a brand new posh hotel. Staff is very courteous and attentive. Food is very good, not great. Prices are very expensive.
Biggest problem is food is served way too slow. Starter took about 20 minutes. Main course about 30 minutes. Biggest disappointment was the Atlantic cod, the fish was very tough and dry and overcooked. The French chef did come out and acknowledged and apologized.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Came here for Sunday Brunch when staying at the hotel the second time, and I must say - WOW! Buffet is immaculately maintained and everything looks so nice and appetising! The weekend I was there was the first time they had introduced this new BBQ grill in their outdoor terrace, some funny dishes like crocodile meat, but also the classic grill items as well! Service as usual is superb, they even recognised me from the last visit which was MONTHSSS ago! The service was so attentive that I ended up drinking almost 2 bottles of the yummy sparkling wine by myself, much better than those cheap prosecco some other hotels pours :)

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Excellent Sunday Brunch Buffet, not too many choices but only the best is served, nice environment, excellent service, great dessert.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Ebony is very atmospheric: low lights, a great buzz of activity, and very comfortable. I visited while on a business trip and sat by myself, a little too close to a family with a noisy, energetic and extremely mobile child (not really the restaurant's fault).

Things initially went a bit awry: they have a terrific-looking grill menu - reminiscent of the Mandarin Grill in Hong Kong - and I ordered the Iberico pork chop. 86'd. So I ordered the veal. 86'd. Monty Python's cheese shop? I didn't feel like steak so I switched to fish, and that seemed to solve the problem.

Starter was mushroom soup, with some little squares of ravioli. At the first taste I thought the chef had underseasoned - it needed salt - but then I ate one of the little dried mushrooms in it and all the saltiness came flooding in!

For main course I had the cod with chips and peas (British? Moi?) and was very satisfied. The cod was tasty, perfectly filleted, and the chips were big, chunky and nicely textured.

The real success was the dessert: a lemon tart. Sounds ordinary enough. It was served with a little jar of red berry compote and a dollop of soured cream. I tasted these latter items separately at first and was puzzled. The berries were nice. The cream was... well, sour. Then I tried mixing them both together with the lemon tart. Bang! Incredible!

Service was a little odd at times (being asked how I was enjoying the tart, for example, when it was apparent to anyone with eyes that it was totally intact and untasted). The 86'd menu items were disappointing but I suppose these things happen.

Wine is really expensive at 150RMB for just a GLASS (or 650RMB for a whole bottle, which is much closer to the price I'd expect to pay).

I'd definitely eat here again. Very highly recommended.