“Excellent Value”

Guangzhou Grand International Hotel
Ranked #50 of 3,522 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 12 December 2012

This is a very good and excellent value hotel. The room was not huge, but a good enough size and was well equipped. The bathroom was also very nice. I didnt go to breakfast so cant comment on that, but the service during check in and out was also very good. The staff spoke brilliant English (which is rare in Chinese hotels) and were extremely friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a hotel in this part of town, then I recommend staying here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Toasty11

Reviewed 24 November 2012

The most pleasing thing of the hotel was they offered me a suite in place of my deluxe room booking. It included the executive lounge and unlimited consumption in the mini-bar. Being an old hotel the rooms are not so posh, but were well kept and the overall amenities were quite good. The staff was pleasing and courteous. Overall it was a great deal. Thanks Grand International.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with view of IFC & Guangzhou tower
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Rohitkale
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Ok, So its canton fair... This means alot of visitors for Guangzhou.... Let me add alot of (mostly) overseas english speaking visitors.... But still a real struggle to order food in the restaurant, get information from the concierge or the operator on the phone...

Eg, i needed to print something out, noone could understand what i needed, i needed to know what time the next bus was to the fair, again noone could help, i wanted to know what meat was on the buffet, again noone could help me... It was a real disappointment as the hotel has enormous potential other then the Manager"s cutthroat policies towards its guests, i have particularly encountered this earlier when i was 15 minutes later then supposed to check out and he insisted on charging me for the extra day!!!! Not saying i was not at fault, i was caught up in some traffic and so got back later and then there was a huge line of guests waiting to get on the elevator.... Still some humility towards guests goes a long way and ensures their return...

Food was soso, location good, shopping around, not far from fair, buses in the morning going and in the evening coming back... They even have an attendant on each floor but not sure what they are supposed to be doing.... Also found it interesting they reduced the exchange rate the day the fair started, guess its their time to charge....

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We stayed here for one night and paid for the price of a motel room but had a 5-stat hotel room. The checkin was fast. The staff were friendly. The onsite chinese restaurant offered good food. The foot spa on the 6th floor was also nice and reasonably priced. All in all, it is a nice hotel and I will definitely come back again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Having lived in the countryside on the outskirts of Guangzhou in 1998-1999 I was excited about my return visit this summer, this time as a professional, and able to afford a proper hotel room! I decided to go with the Guangzhou Grand as I didn't want my experience to be too western-style and I have to say, I wasn't disappointed in the least! The hotel staff were incredibly attentive and made me feel as welcome as any important business guest even though I arrived looking rough and tired with a huge rucksack after spending a month in Mongolia. I was given an unexpected upgrade and felt like I had died and gone to heaven when I entered my room. It was stunning! The room was perfect in every way and I especially appreciated the bath & shower to relax in each night, not to mention the complimentary drinks in the mini-bar! I am only sorry that I didn't have time to enjoy more of the amenities of this hotel but based on the room alone, I would have no hesitation in going back!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I was only there one night, and this is the first time I had stayed in Guangzhou. My notes on the hotel:

- Rooms are huge. Massively huge. I think it is bigger than some friends apartments in NYC.
- Bed: Comfortable but a little too firm for me. The sheets felt a little funny, but I have to admit, I am a bit of a princess when it comes to stuff touching my skin. Probably for most folks, it would be fine. But if you are like me and you have sensitive skin, it felt a bit funny.
- Shower: Good with strong water pressure, but the way the shower head is setup, it is next to impossible to avoid getting some of the water in your mouth. If you are extremely concerned about avoiding the water in China and you like to take showers, I would avoid this hotel
- Breakfast: Good – not great. The offering of western food was limited and it didn’t taste very good. Staff was a bit rough around the edges. Actually, it may be generous to say it is good. It's passable.
- Transportation: From airport the hotel says is is 80 Yuan. It cost me 120 Yuan. Little things like this always cause me to be suspicious.

Overall it is good. Having not stayed in other hotels in town, it is tough to make a fair comparison. Compared to the hotel I stay in Shanghai, it is a step down.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2012 via mobile

I've been there're several times and is perfect, big rooms, good meal for breakfast, and good price, in Europe you couldn't find that at less of 150€. If you can, always ask for king size bed. Next to the hotel you have an Starbucks. In front you can find a mall. To hang out at night, near of the hotel there is a pub called Qba, live music from Cuba. Enjoy.

• Stayed: September 2011