“Very good value for money”
Review of Hotel Elan

Hotel Elan
Ranked #96 of 3,562 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I stayed with my husband at Elan hotel for 4 nights and we quite liked this hotel. It is not luxurios and the room is a bit small but it suit us very well and you cannot expect more for the money. The room is clean, well appointed, modern. You have tv with English channel, free internet and free breaktast (though I think breakfast is the weakest point). I liked the room because the design is rather boutique and looks new and trendy (no old carpets or deteriorated furniture but simple and modern comfort). In fact we are returning to this hotel for a night before we leave the country. The area is very lively, we ate a lot in the restaurant in front of the hotel and though they don´t speak English they made their best to understand.
The hotel is walking distance from the railway station or a tube station, but a bit difficult to find at first.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 July 2010

This is a hidden gem amongst all the high end hotels in Guangzhou. I looked for a reasonable but nice hotel and found this one and was very pleased. The staff could understand and speak English well enough to help me see things, do things and especially to eat nearby, There is a good seafood restaurant small and easy to miss except for the crates of live fish in front, nearby. With a very limited grasp of the language I found ordering a meal duanting without photos on the menu. I asked one of the hotel front desk staff forassistance, she dropped everything and went around the corner with me and commnicated my needs to them. I also asked for things to see and do - they gave me info , I made my selections then they wrote down in Chinese where I wanted to go so the taxi's could take me without any confusion.
Along with a helpful staff, the free breakfasts were tasty and filling, and the room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The free WiFi was a nice addition.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a small hotel with a very reasonable rate and in a very convenient location for shopping, eating and walking to several nearby things to see.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank 1siddhartha1
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during the Canton Fair. Room rate were doubled. But overall its a nice little hotel in an interesting neighborhood. Perfect for those who interested in apparels wholesale. Front desk staff are ok. Room a bit small for 2 and too near to neighbor building. But the room is comfortable and clean. Especially the bathroom. Forget about their breakfast and walk to the Chinese restaurant a few shops away beside the hotel. They have a reasonable decent dim-sum.

It's definitely not for family or family with senior folks. It's just a bit too far from the subway. (Yue Xiu Hua Yuan Station) - approximately 15-20mins walk. Consider ok if you are keen for a nice stroll after meal. One thing i like about the location is its close to the Yue Xiu Garden (Superb Dim sum) , and once you get into the metro, its convenience to get to anyway, Liwan or Tian He for instance. Or even the musuem.

I think if not they doubled the room rate during the Fair, (RMB600 - which you can get a fairly good big 4 star hotel's room elsewhere), for normal room rate of RM300, its definitely value for your money.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2010

First of all when I arrived in Guangzhou East Train Station, I was fooled by this taxi driver by asking RMB380!!! I advise that you do not go with a driver saying "taxi taxi" because he will take you to his car which is not a taxi after all!!! So i advise you to take those car rentals/transfers at the booth near the exit. The real fare to Elan hotel is only RMB30 so probably those booths will charge just a bit higher but they are the safest way to go!!!

Please note that this hotel is a smoking hotel, all the rooms and floors. The hotel has 6 floors and very simple but modern and neat. The beds were okay. I had a really big queen size bed and its warm and comfy for the rate. The room is well appointed and no carpet which I like coz as a hotel gets old, the carpet has that weird stink. The trouble that I had was the smell of the smoke, it gets through your room. So it was really uncomfortable. I had to put the exhaust on and cover the door with towels.

Most of the staff are friendly, but i do not bother because the chinese are known to be not smiling all the time. It does not matter, what matters is they do their job well, and they did. The nice thing about this hotel is their free wireless internet. They have tv and there's there are 2 channels that speaks english.

I went there for the Canton Fair and luckily they also have free shuttle bus but only every 8.15am to Pazhou Complex and return 6.15pm, so make sure you be there on time coz taxi cost RMB 50 if the driver is well, honest!

The hotel is situated in a sort of old street in Guangzhou, there are even young men giving out calling cards to foreigners or locals selling prostitutes right infront of the hotel. Be careful of your belongings because there are also robbers around.

The nice thing about surroundings is that you can find really cheap eats and tasty too! Just make sure you got your shots before leaving your country coz im sure they are not that clean. There is also this Top Clothes underground wholesale shopping which is really amazingly big with 3 floors under! They have a knock off Starbucks called One Dollar Coffee! hahaha But theyre as good as the original! I love their cold milk tea! 2 Floors below that they have this sort of small food court where you can get cheap meals.

There are some that you would enjoy like: the gated footscrub manicure salon 30 meters to the right for only RMB45, and further 5 meters they say is a foot massage place for only RMB 38; there is also this laundry place near the salon that's a third cheaper than the hotel laundry rate; to the left this time from the hotel, 40 meters a no nonsense seafood restaurant that serves crabs, oyster and seasonal fish...i paid less than RMB100!

Overall the hotel has gotten its wear and tear, dirty spots here and there but not that significant, the walls are very thin, you can hear people talking really loud! I do not recommend this place to families, but only to couples, backpackers and adults on a business trip.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank dutchgodess
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Although we appreciated the physical attributes of this hotel (nice design, very clean, and good location), the service quality was pretty poor. Among other things, our aircon cut off mysteriously in the middle of the night, which required us to open the window onto the very noisy street below (and let the mosquitos in). When we reported the problem in the morning, there was no apology or offer to compensate us in any way--just "we'll send someone to fix it." Which they eventually did, but after some time. Then they misplaced the key to their safe where they were keeping our passports, making us late to check out -- which was ultimately responsible for making us miss our flight! We will not be back.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family