Holiday Inn Shifu Guangzhou
Ranked #26 of 3,522 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Great Hotel. Nice rooms and bathrooms. Everything seems pretty new. Good breakfast spread. They run a nice club lounge serving good snacks in the evening if eligible. KFC, Mac, Pizza H all walking distance. Lots of cheap shopping, Metro is 10 mins walking and 7RMB taxi (if they are willing to go). Very ethnic n/hood may not appeal to business travellers looking for a more international or downtown location.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 April 2009

It is hard to write a fair review seeing as I have only stayed in one hotel in China. The Holiday Inn, Shifu might be really great - according to standards in China.. But for me, it was not great. If you do not speak Chinese you might struggle communicating with the staff as most do not really speak or understand English. BIG difference from Hong Kong.

Let me begin with the area of Guangzhou - the Holiday Inn does not seem to be situated in a very nice part of town. The street is packed with people and very dirty. There is an alley full of stinky cats, kittens, dogs, puppies and goldfish in one direction that leads to Sharma Island (possibly a nicer place to stay.. the island does not seem as packed full of people and the streets are a little bit cleaner) - The other streets outside the hotel lead to shopping centers and residential areas. I think the word filthy pretty much sums the area of town. The smell that hits you when you step outside the door can at times take your breath away.

This was my first trip to China. I was not prepared for the smell of the water. The hotel gave two free bottles of water in the bathroom for brushing teeth. As I lie in bed at night, I could smell when my neighbors came in in the evening. The water had such a pungent smell that I could actually smell it as they took showers in the evening.

The breakfast was a mix of English and Chinese. You can have an omelette made to order, they have french toast, fried eggs, fruit, cereal, yogurt... The Chinese side was dumplings and fried rice, veggies .. interesting combination. I stayed for two weeks and the breakfast got a little old by the end, but they do offer a lot of variety.

The room was cleaned every day and the housekeeper was very friendly and helpful. The bed is SO VERY hard. The hotel does offer an array of pillows for your comfort. The bedding was always clean and though there was a sign warning of bugs, I did not see any.

The gym on the top is small and old but useful I suppose. There was never really anyone in there so I had the run of the place to myself. The rooftop pool STINKS. I would not swim in it as the smell is quite offensive.

China still allows smoking in doors so make sure you take that in consideration when you chose the floor your room is on.

After being at the hotel for two weeks I learned the area and felt comfortable. Upon checking in I felt unsafe and a little freaked out by the area. There is a lot to explore and investigate, if you are traveling alone and just want to wander around and take in the culture this might be a good hotel.. I think there are nicer hotels in the area though so if I were returning I would look around.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank mle_webb
Reviewed 4 April 2009

At first arrival it seems like a bad part of town, but then the fun began there is a bunch of shopping outside, lots of things to see and do. We went to the garden hotel and lots of places, but this place had all the flavor, they have like a small Beijing street out in front of the place, so there is plenty of shopping to be had, same stuff as in all the other shopping placed.

After a few days of thinking to change, coming home to shifu was AWESOME, every night, a chilling cession at the lobby bar and then a bit of shopping. We found some cool stuff. The more we stayed the cooler the hotel was. The service was pretty good, and I live in a hotel pretty much, I like decent places. This place offered all of that and a bit more. We had a super enjoyable time at this hotel. super place for a first timer.

English is always an issue at every place, we even tested the shangri la.

This place offers a super value. I stayed at a place not near the size in Singapore and it was much more expensive. This was 70 bucks a night and was nicer than my holiday in in Sing (190 a night), both places were great. This was no exception. Really a decent hotel.

Give it a shot, you wont be dissapointed. After 4 days we were hooked on it, when I go back, I will stay there again. Really enjoyed having all the parts about China like right outside the front door, easy to shop and go, go back to the hotel relax a bit. NOt much bar scene out front of it, but it was worth the money and we had some fun with it.

Check it out!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2009

Holiday Inn Shifu is extremely clean, extremely large room and extremely great location!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beadshopper
Reviewed 6 March 2009

i thought i should write a review as there are no current ones for this hotel. In one word fabulous. If you are a business traveller, and need the internet connection, take the option of an upgrade to "club class". It gives you free internet and once you are on for more than 2 hours per day (not hard becuase the connection is slow), you are paying the same price as normal room + internet charges. The "club class" has a private meeting room, happy hour, and a clean fresh area for relaxing, meeting, enjoying a snack or a drink. The staff in this room are also experts at kindness and advice on their busy city. All the hotel staff are great. This is a fabulous hotel. Greenery cafe is close and tasty, there is also a very famous 100yrd old eatery up the road on the left. Bank of China, Comerical Banks for money changing and China Post are all handy (Western Union). This is a great place for working.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank nonduplume
Reviewed 16 December 2008

I stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights and I was really impressed with almost everything the hotel had to offer.

The room was of a very good size, the beds were comfortable. I had free internet access (free internet access only applicable if you stay in the club level.)

The bathroom had a glass 'wall' that seperates the bedroom and the bathtub. It was a nice touch so that you can actually watch TV while taking a bath!.

The one and only thing that was slightly disappointing was the quality of the food in the hotel. both in the executive club lounge AND the room service. The food in the club lounge was very average. the room Service, menu does offer vegetarian menu.. which is great!.. BUT the quality of the food is quite mediocre. I ordered 2 different dishes in 2 consecutive nights and both of them were really below average.. oh.. do NOT order the Tiramisu.

That said, there is plenty of other food options that are much better just downstairs, just along the 'shopping' street. so food matters should be the least of your worries.

Would I stay there again? Of course i will!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank babytay
Reviewed 19 November 2008

I've traveled to Guangzhou twice a year for the last 10 years and have tried various hotels...All of which have cement slabs for mattresses...The H.I. Shifu Guangzhou is no different...I've come to accept that for Guangzhou. But the rest of the hotel is phenomenal. The lobby and check-in is on the 4th floor, and you have to switch elevators, so it is somewhat inconvenient to get to your room, but once in the room--wow, very nice. Great bathroom, huge room, well appointed decor. We were upgraded to a club floor room, which included breakfast and evening snacks and cocktails. I've had better club floor food, but overall, wasn't too bad. My only complaint with the club lounge is that it's far too small for the number of club floor rooms/guests. Went there once about 6PM for 'dinner' and not only was there no room to sit, there was, basically, a waiting list for a table. I'm sure it's sufficient size for most of the year, but I was there during the Canton Fair and I'm certain they were booked to capacity. Great staff, weird location though--the hotel is more or less in a neighborhood--the taxis have to turn 3-4 times on side streets to reach the hotel. I didn't venture outside the hotel, but it was very much in a neighborhood. I do plan on going back to Guangzhou next April for Canton Fair, and already have my room booked at the H.I. Shifu Guangzhou!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business