“Excellent”

Ranked #18 of 3,394 Hotels in Guangzhou
A TripAdvisor Member
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

Very convenient for transit passengers. Hotel is of five-star quality with excellent, friendly and English speaking staff. I was met by hotel staff and brought personally to the hotel which is about 3 minutes from the airport. A warm welcome by one of the managers while I was in the line waiting for service. I arrived at around 11 pm and the manager agreed with no hesitation when I requested for a late check out up to 4 pm the next day. In the end, I did not need to check out late. I checked out around noon.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

Due to a delay on a China Eastern Flight, I arrived too late at Baiyin airport to meet my colleague for onward travel. I had made an advance booking for 1 night the following day, so rang a colleague and asked him to change the booking to 2 nights and I would use this hotel for a base for both nights. He did this but when I got to reception they said they had no room for me reserved, to which my colleague started an argument. I trust him that he has done as asked as he had also booked a room but despite the hotel not being exactly full there was a scene. However great credit to the hotel as they apologized for the mess and sent me up to the business floor and a room upgrade. The hotel is very very pleasant with background music cheering up a stressed traveller ! - The reception in the business lounge was seemless, and this looked like a very tidy area. Not sure what difference in price would have been but a very worthy chill out zone.

Room was airy, clean and tidy, was disappointed that I looked out onto the ATC tower and not the busy airport, being a aeroplane fan as a child, I was quite excited about watching the planes take off and land as I lie in bed but that was hardly the hotels fault. In fact due to being on the side of the hotel meant it was quieter than I expected.

Went to the Universal Buffet Cuisine Restaurent, and whilst I thought the choice was limited for westerners none too keen on chinese, my colleague (Chinese) was filling his boots and thought it was splendid, The steaks and ribs were cooked to order but not in rush. You could not stand and wait despite the restaurent being about a quarter full, and the chef just put them on the counter when he was ready but they were ok. There was no chips, so I asked and they soon arrived with a large plate for about 4 people, to which I felt embarressed as I only ate a handful, still made the effort which is important.

I could have had breakfast in the business lounge but not with my colleague so went back to the buffet restaurent. The western food was warm not hot although again it was poorly attended so there was no turnaround. Go to the Steak counter for Fried Eggs.

I returned to the hotel on the second day earlier than planned and as I was now alone, I thought I would head off down town. I have been to Guangzhou before and new where I wanted to be, the Concierge (or rather a helpful female member of staff on duty around the lobby) gave me precise instruction and directions on the subway and armed with maps just in case I headed off. Despite being at the airport the journey via the metro was brilliant and took around 40 mins to Hangshu station (2 changes) right near the pedestrian shopping area. 3 Hours later I returned to be greeted by the same member of staff who genuinely was interested in how I got on.

I was in room 1634, and the maintenance staff were painting and varnishing room 1632, so there was a very strong odour on the corridor but not in my room. It highlighted the ongoing program of refurbishment.

Had breakfast in the Business Lounge but I have to say it should be avoided in quiet periods. The girls do a grand job in tending to you needs but the food could have done with some TLC (or at least been stirred) as the Bacon and Beans were not very attractive and despite my comments about the food in the Buffet Restaurent only being warm it was better than being conjealed.

Check out very quick but as I say it was quiet on the business floor and a steady stroll across the road to the airport was a real bonus.

Thinking about making this my base for future visits instead of battling down town to the Marriott,

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2011

Pullman is a beautiful hotel situated right next to Guangzhou Airport. The decor in the hotel is stunning! Although the rooms are modern "looking", I found the bathroom wash basin is old with some slight cracks. The TV was old style and wasn't a new modern Flat screen TV which I expected from a 5 start hotel. (I was in a standard room. perhaps due to the room type?) I feel certain areas in the room need a refurb to bring it up to true 5 star standards. I found Resturant staff seem to be nervous, perhpas due to lack of confidence in English language, however they were polite. Once again the main restaurant decor is stunning but the food was nothing much special to highlight. Check-in took a long time with so many photo copying going on with cross checks of IDs. Perhaps this is the standards in mainland China? Otherwise the hotel is good.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

stayed here a few times. always good. good facilities within the hotel. friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business