“Great new restaurant in Zhujiang New Town”
Review of Social&Co

Social&Co
Ranked #6 of 7,233 Restaurants in Guangzhou
Cuisines: Australian, New Zealand
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Love the owners Aaron & Jon. Food is wonderful and they always make you feel welcome with their warm smiles. Love going here. Highly suggest for lunch or dinner. There is also a nice patio.

2  Thank AmyMahon

Hi AmyMahon,

Thanks for the review!! I'm blushing from the nice comments about me and Aaron! With summer coming, the patio is in full force… see you there!

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

It was my first trip to Guangzhou and my friend suggested we try some western food. Social & Co came highly recommended.

We were a group of 4 adults and 1 teenager and we decided to do a tapas style menu in order to have a taste of everything. Would highly recommend the beef bourginion, fish and chips, the antipasti platter, fried calamari. My friend had the house chardonnay which was excellent and at happy hour - it was one for one at US$6 or 40 yuan.

Service was excellent with friendly staff that spoke English. The restaurant would not look out of place in Sydney or Singapore - great ambience - I would definitely go back!

2  Thank shoequeen71

Hi shoequeen71,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm glad that we lived up to the recommendation from your friend. We strive to provide the friendliest service in Guangzhou and I'm happy that we were able to do that for your group. Please come back and see us the next time you are in Guangzhou.

Warm Regards,
Jon

p.s. I love the username 'shoequeen71'!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

After many days of Fast Food and local "delicacies", it was Heaven for two Brissie girls to discover Social & Co.
Delicious Starters, Mains and Salads - so much so that we were totally greedy and did not leave room for dessert - on either visit!! (I guess next time we're in Guangzhou for the Canton Fair, we will have an excuse to go back yet again. Not that we need one!)
The Crispy Chicken Drumettes were a real treat and the Rocket and Parmesan Salad was divine! The Scallops were cooked to perfection and the Prawns reminded us of home! Did I mention the cocktails???
An unexpected treat was the conversation - Aaron was an absolute pleasure to chat with and even when things were busy he was gracious and generous with his time. Thank you Aaron, your kindness was really appreciated. Even the chat in the loo with the lovely Irish lady was a pleasant surprise!!!
If you're in Guangzhou for any reason - don't miss it!!

2  Thank Sharon O

Hi Sharon O,

"Is this Heaven? No, it's Social&Co!" Thank you so much for reviewing us. I'm glad that we were able to brighten your stay in GZ during the fair. I'll pass on your positive remarks to my partner Aaron… hope his head doesn't get too big! Next time you are in Guangzhou, drop in for another visit.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Experienced Social and co tonight over-indulging in starters, mains and dessert. All meals were of a very good standard. The starters we had were the french fries and Warm perma bakery bread. Proper chips with aioli and tomato sauce. One of these is enough for two.

The mains we had- Mums Cauliflower patties, Vegetarian Hot Pot, Beer Battered fish bites, Lemon and chilli dusted calamari and seared scallops. One vegie dish and two main dishes would have been plenty. All meals were of a very good standard and tasty.

The dessert was fantastic.We shared Lenore's chocolate self saucing pudding. We met one of the restaurant owners (Aaron) and he said it was a recipe his mother used in his youth which was similar to New Zealands famous Edmonds cookbook recipe. Comes with one scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. The only complaint was it needed two scoops of ice cream!! (which we ordered). Had a sensational coffee with the dessert.

In regards to service- there was always someone available that spoke impeccable English, meals were served in order and in a timely manner.

The total cost was 499RMB. It is a lot for Guangzhou but we ordered too much. Sorry for the lack of pictures but we were to busy eating.

Thank you Aaron and co for a pleasant meal. All the best for the new life in Guangzhou.

2  Thank Coke71

Hi Coke71,

Thanks for the great review! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your over-indulgence at So&Co. We designed the menu for sharing and it sounds like you did just that... better too much than too little :) I'll pass on your praise to my partner Aaron… hope to see you again when you are in Guangzhou

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Our stay in China was only brief as we were visiting ex pat friends of ours and then heading to Hong Kong… but our friends took us to this wonderful gem of a place in Guangzhou.
We sat outside on the terrace on a nice evening and the food, service and wine were excellent.
The menu is the perfect size for a group. It’s a sharing situation, so we went to town and ordered a tonne.. just so we could try a bit of everything… The best mains I tried were the Pork and the Calamari. I also recommend having one of their antipasto platters for entrée... delish! And the Banoffee pie should not be missed for dessert.
And have an espresso martini as well!.. I had two. I think that contributed to my hangover when heading back to HK.

Apart from the food and delicious NZ wine, I think the setting of this restaurant also stands it apart. It was so comfortable, clean and stylish. On the night we were there, the whole inside and outside was full, so combined with the décor and layout it was a really cool vibe.
The service provided by the double denim clad locals was good, but the Kiwi host was exceptional. He was wandering around and chatting to all the tables including us. It’s nice feeling at home all the way in China!
If you’re out for great Western food in a cool setting or a funky bar... I think this is the place to go in Guangzhou.
We will be back!!.. Whenever we get a chance to come back to China.!

Jon H, Owner at Social&Co, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Hi thanxdan,

Thank you for coming to visit and for taking the time to review us. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your visit. Reviews like yours really make my day! I look forward to having you back the next time you pass through China.