“Great service, but expensive”

The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou
Ranked #2 of 3,517 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Very nice hotel. Dining was excellent. The restaurant "Foods" was buffet style, and had dishes from all over the world. Something for everyone, and kid-friendly. Beautiful pool though construction outside hotel (construction rampant throughout Guangzhou) does create some noise pollution. Service in all areas was very. Had an issue with room air conditioner in one of the rooms that we had. Manager moved us to an upgraded room, which was a pain having to pack everything up, but new room was beautiful. Dining in hotel can be expensive.

Room Tip: Request a river view. City view is not very impressive.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
AndrewRogersRCGZ, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Mikeys2,

Thank you so much for taking your time in writing this note and sharing your recent stay experience with us. I am thrilled to know you had a great time, enjoying the excellent buffet at FOODS and the exceptional service that all the Ladies and Gentlemen at The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou genuinely delivered to you.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou.

Andrew C. Rogers,

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a party of 4 on a business trip to China and stayed at the Ritz for 3 nights. The staff in the club lounge was unbelievable. Each remembered names and who was with who. The concierge staff was incredibly amazing. I took a cab shopping about 15 minutes away from the hotel and could not get a cab to bring me back. It started to pour so I called my husband and asked him to ask the concierge what kind of cab I should be getting. She said forget that we are coming to get her. A Mercedes sedan shows up with driver and Pauling of the concierge staff with an umbrella and they take me back to hotel. Then Pauling spends time with me telling me all about Guangzhou, provides me with beautiful souvenir book and a gift for my grandson. It floored me! Then at breakfast my husband told the club lounge staff how much we enjoyed the inspirational saying cards on the tables each day. Before we left, they had gone out and bought the actual book the sayings came from and presented it to my husband. Really!
Rooms were absolutely beautiful and so clean. Anyone we encountered in the hotel was professional AND nice! What a place!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
AndrewRogersRCGZ, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Ms. Kim K,

Thank you very much for your compliments. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Guangzhou. You are absolutely experience the highlight of The Ritz- Carlton, Guangzhou: the hotel within hotel - Club Experience, which is definitely the best place to stay. I'm so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable experience and our Ladies and Gentlemen had delivered exceptional service to you. I believe recognition spurs repeat performance and I will definitely share your kind comments with my team. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you again in Guangzhou. Again, thank you very much for your recognition.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed here during the April Canton Faire, Great Business hotel and good location. Breakfast Buffett has a great variety and transport to faire was a good bonus. Great restaurants in the vicinity approx. 10 min walk

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
AndrewRogersRCGZ, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Ebi,

Thank you very much for taking your time in sharing your feedbacks on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the stay with us.

Regarding the great hotel location you mentioned, I am happy to share that the city landmarks including Guangdong Museum, Guangzhou Library, Opera House and Canton Tower are all right at our front door, and I would recommend you to take a visit at these fabulous facilities when it comes to your next visit in Guangzhou.

In addition, thank you for highlighting breakfast buffet and transportation of your stay during Canton Fair. I will share all your positive comments with my team.

Look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou.

Sincerely regards,

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel for business purposes with 10 other colleagues and I had a wonderful stay. What made the hotel special was the staff. They were genuinely friendly and extremely helpful especially the staff in the club lounge.

I will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
AndrewRogersRCGZ, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Karen,

Thank you so much for taking your time in writing this nice note. I am delighted to know that you and your colleagues had an enjoyable stay with us, and our Ladies and Gentlemen had delivered genuine care and helpful service to you. It always makes me feel extremely proud when hearing these positive comments from our guest. It is our Ladies and Gentlemen who make the hotel so special to our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel is located in the new city part of Guangzhou. It sits on the Pearl river bank opposite the Canton tower and right next to the IFC tower and a beautiful park. The park has several cafes and is just an outstanding area to spend time amidst the hustle-bustle and pollution of Guangzhou.

The check-in process was efficient and we were promptly shown our room. The room was huge (I think approx. 700 sq ft) and designed for kings. With a very large bathroom stocked with Asprey toiletries, a walk-in closet, and a very spacious sitting area, the room was superb. To our surprise we found the complimentary teas in the room to be high quality Chinese teas of 3-4 varieties, including my favourite pur-eh; all loose leaf and not the tea bag variety. The French press and French roast coffee was also much appreciated. The high speed internet was very good; something I have had a problem with in some Chinese hotels. The only issue was the air conditioning. Despite setting the AC at its lowest level of 16, it would not go below 22 and felt more like 24.

The breakfast spread at the hotel was one of the best I have ever encountered with foods from several different cultures. There must have been more than 10 counters with various foods. I especially enjoyed their bakery products and the espresso/cappuccino was strong and very good.

One other area I encountered some minor issues was with language. Not many people understand English at the hotel, but they quickly realize their limitations with the language and call in someone with better understanding of the language to step in and translate or sort out the issues.

I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to anyone travelling to Guangzhou.

Room Tip: Pearl river view rooms; executive lounge if its within budget.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
AndrewRogersRCGZ, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear vbh812,

Thank you so much for taking your time in writing this kind note and sharing your recent stay experience with us. I am thrilled to know you had a great time, enjoying the benefits from the superb location. I am also happy to see that you are satisfied with the room arrangement, the amenities and the buffet breakfast at FOODS that all the Ladies and Gentlemen at The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou genuinely delivered to you.

Also, thank you for bringing the language problem to my attention. We are looking into this issue and trust you will find it no longer being a problem when it comes to your next stay. Thanks again for letting me know your experience and definitely I will share it with my team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

As a weary traveller, arriving in a hot and humid Guangzhou, I was made immediately welcome. . The rooms are lovely but the staff are simply wonderful. The attention to detail is extraordinary
For example, I was using a slip of paper to mark the page in my novel left by my bed, next day, a Ritz-carlton bookmark was neatly laid on top. A beautiful hand written card in my room wishing me well the day before I left.
The food is first class, the decor, everthing was really good (not the weather, not their fault).
Quite the most immensely enjoyable customer experience. 10/10

Room Tip: Some rooms look over the opera house and library - at night this is illuminated and is beautiful.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
AndrewRogersRCGZ, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Slidesorter,

Thank you for taking your time to share with us your recent stay experience. I'm so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable experience and our Ladies and Gentlemen had delivered exceptional service to you. I believe recognition spurs repeat performance and I will definitely share your kind comments with my team.

In addition, we suggest you to spend some time in exploring the local facilities surrounding our hotel during your next trip. The Library, Museum and Huacheng Square right at our front door are truly the great resources for you to experience this wonderful city.

I hope to see you again in Guangzhou very soon.

Warmest regards,

Andrew C. Rogers,

Reviewed 24 May 2014

The first great thing about the Ritz Carlton in Guangzhou is that it is located extremely well, right in the city centre, in a really nice part of town. (The Guangzhou Library is right in front of it, and so is a beautiful public garden where you can walk or jog.)

The second great thing about this hotel is the facilities, which are par excellent. The gym is well equipped, open around the clock; the bar and restaurants I tried were all great (both food and ambience); the room service standard was terrific and the breakfast buffet had enough variety never to get me bored in the one week I stayed there.

The best thing about this place though, and the one thing that would make me want to go back again for sure, is the staff. Whether it was the lady who came to pick me up at the station, the gentleman who brought me room service, or the lady who checked me out,they were all exceptionally friendly, genuine and went out of their way to make me feel at home. By Chinese standards, their English was excellent, and they constantly were on the look out for how to make my stay a more pleasant one.

The room was also very comfortable - the only thing I missed was an ironing board, but I requested them to set one up for me and they complied immediately - and overall, I had a great stay. I would definitely go back the next time I'm in Guangzhou.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that overlooks the park and library instead of the rooms that overlook the back s...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear ShahineArdeshir,

Thank you for taking your time in sharing your recent stay experience with us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you had enjoyed a great time with us, highlighting the great location, well-equipped gym, the bar and restaurants, terrific service and great breakfast buffet. Besides that, the Ladies and Gentlemen who have delivered the exceptional service always make me feel extremely proud. I am happy that the team have done a great job to make you feel at home. With the team, I look forward to welcoming you back to the “home away from home”.