“A Slice of Heaven on Earth”

The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou
Ranked #1 of 3,522 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 6 May 2009

Just returned from this hotel on 4/25/2009. Don't believe other reviewers too much regarding employee attitudes and/or accommodations. If one scrutinizes aything too closely, one is bound to find faults. I used to be that way. Trust me, I am a top shelf customer and can be extremely picky. But this place is the top of the top and delivers. I transferred from another hotel as a basket case (I won't go into it) and departed like a Hollywood movie star. They soft spokenly cater to your every whim and anticipate your needs like a 5-star + hotel is supposed to if you relax and give them a chance which is what I experienced: written directions to the cab driver for where I wanted to go in town, handling my plate for me on the buffet line, etc. There where times I walked around and didn't have to do or touch a thing for a serviceperson to understand what I needed and have it done. That's service. I smiled alot, relaxed and did alot of bowing and they seemd to hook me right up!

As far as I'm concerned, this hotel is a secret bargain at $195 US for the luxury. You wouldn't pay $195 for the Ritz in the US. For $195 US, I had a Pearl River view room, which you can view online, featuring floor-to-ceiling views of the river (spectacular at night!), extremely plush living/bedroom "suite" with private hallway, closet, master bathroom w/jacuzzi-style tub and flat-screen tv (CNN US & International), glass shower, remote control floor window shades, etc. Where else can you get that for $195? The hotel floor hallway carpets and doors are so thick you car hardly hear yourself. When you open the door to your "suite" and walk down your "hallway" revealing a panoramic view of the Pearl River all you feel is 10-star and a slice of heaven on Earth.

My tip for those complaining about the lack of neighboring concerns at the locations is to jump in a cab and head into town! At $3-5 US a cab ride, this is no difficult thing to do! I transferred from a hotel in a busier, crazier part of town (15 minutes away) and it was only 24CNY (~ $4 US) with traffic. At that rate, I would go shopping in the morning, come back, swim at the hotel, go out to get my hair done, come back, change clothes, and go out to the clubs for the evening again! Ask the hotel to write all the addresses you want to go to in English (for you) and Chinese (for the cab driver) in a notebook for you and be on your way! I would just hop in a cab and show the driver my little "black" notebook and all around town I went: movies, clubs, shopping, musuems, famous parks, Pearl River Cruise 2x... Why did I need the hotel to have everything developed around it? I didn't fly 10k miles to see another Barclays megastructure...

Did I say the food at the "Foods" restaurant was another exceptional bargain? I don't usually go in for the "hotel" priced meals thinking that's where they'll trap you since you're on their premises. At $28 US I initially though buffet breakfast would be a little pricey until I saw an unilimited 5-star quality italian expresso service, fresh fruit and vegetable juices, steak and lamb chops, dim sum, yangzhou fried rice cooked to order with your choice of fresh seafood picks, congee, fresh carved ham, and then the traditional bacon, eggs, and flapjacks. Needless to say I was hooked. Dinner was just as ridiculous with unlimited lobster tails, imported shucked Oysters, roast duck, more steak and lamb chops, tiramisu and on and on at $45 US. So, it's your choice in the new land of opportunity: you can spend $45 of unlimited eating on premises and take your plate to the rock garden with waterfalls, or you can jump in a cab and head into town for cheaper eats. All in all, how could anyone complain?

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,053)

Reviewed 27 April 2009

Firstly the positives. This is a new hotel and still has the new feel to it. The rooms are very elegant and well appointed to the standard expected from this chain. Almost all the staff I experienced were friendly and spoke excellent English from the front desk to housekeeping. The pool is large but being outdoors is somewhat dependent on the weather. The buffet breakfast was extensive and the food very good.

However, there are several downsides to this hotel that mean I will certainly not be staying here again in the near future or recommending it to others. The biggest negative is the horrendous location. This is basically a building site with a hotel stuck in the middle. There is building noise 24 hours a day and nothing is accessible by walking from the hotel. For the first time ever in China it was not even possible to walk to a convenience store, or any kind of store, as there is absolutely nothing close to this hotel. Probably in five years time when this whole new area is developed this will be a good location, but for now it is bleak.

Some smaller issues we experienced were that the lobby area is very small so there is nowhere informal to go. We travelled with a small child and there was nowhere to just relax in the hotel. We also experienced some issues with staff at the dinner buffet, in particular the buffet manager who had a very poor attitude not expected from a Ritz Carlton. There were people smoking in the no smoking section of the restaurant and instead of the staff asking the smokers to stop they wanted us to move to another location. The staff appeared totally unconcerned about this and in fact appeared petrified of asking the smokers to stop. They persisted to lie that in fact it was a 'mixed' area when it most certainly was a designated no smoking area. Other customers had also commented that their 'non-smoking' rooms stunk of cigarette smoke.

Stay here in five years time, but chose another hotel in the meantime.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Lima1
Reviewed 1 March 2009

Actually, I don't know how to give my rating to the hotel....

I have been to this hotel for several times for dinner and high tea before today, and I was really enjoyed in this hotel, it is clean, elegant environment, friendly staff, and nice foods…

However, today, I got very disappointed.

I heard that the SPA in this hotel is the best among the 5-stars, so I decided to give a try today, but I have been told that all the rooms have been fully booked till 6pm. Since I got to have dinner at 6pm today, so I planned to come back next week. But before I left, I would like to find out more about the SPA, so that I have asked the customer service (manager? Not quite sure. I name her as “A” here) quite a few questions, such as the price, the product to use, the rooms, the packages, the opening hour….. A was not in patient to answer my question which I can tell from her attitude (this is nothing you can compare with the SPA in Westin, which I went right after I left this holtel), then I was fine, but what annoys me was the other customer service (I name her as “B” here): B came to the reception while I was talking to A, then she asked A something while I was still SPEAKING, and A answered B’s question without saying “excuse me”, and not apology either after their conversations. How rude the people are!

OK, I will never return to their SPA….. restaurants, will be under consideration, even I think the waitress and waiters are very friendly there.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank nali1
Reviewed 12 January 2009

Very nice hotel, we were there only for an overnight stay in between plane rides. It is rather far from the airport. Watch out for the rush hour traffic jams if you are trying to make a flight.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank radua
Reviewed 2 January 2009

We got a great rate for the three day stay at this hotel in December. The staff were very friendly and efficient and all spoke good English. We needed to change our reservation, make bookings for future travel and store luggage until after we checked out. The staff did all of these very proficiently. I'm too much the pinchfist to have tried their pricey meals but my wife gave their breakfast high praise. The gym is the best one I've seen in a Chinese hotel and the pool is big enough to do laps in, though in winter it was also almost warm enough to cook eggs (no, I didn't try). Our room was very large, beautifully appointed and had a fabulous view of the construction going on all around that part of town (I counted 48 cranes). Which brings me to the bad part. Walking around the neighborhood is as pleasant as a stroll in an open-cut mine. Those who enjoy cement dust and jackhammers won't be disappointed. The route to the nearby metro station was blocked by ongoing construction so trips to any other parts of town began with a circuitous Y10+ taxi ride a farther station. Still, the hotel itself is an oasis is this desert of aesthetic appeal and I thoroughly recommend it for those who appreciate 5-star treatment and enjoy a good gym.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 December 2008

Let me preface this review by saying that the hotel is wonderful, the service tries hard but disappoints with gaffes that one would not expect of a 5 star property.

The hotel is beautifully appointed. The room is spacious and bed is extremely comfortable. 2 LCD tvs (one in the bathroom), well-stocked amenities and the tea range (with real tea leaves) is excellent, with herbal teas provided in evening..Breakfast buffet, room service and restaurants were all of excellent quality. Room has all the latest features, including a DVD player- though the wireless phone system seems to have some bugs and kept dropping out.

Staff are attentive, always looking to help and are proficient in English. However, compared with other similar-level hotels in Asia, some smaller details are not up to scratch yet. For example, confirmed non-smoking room but given smoking room, wake-up call came 10 minutes late, as hotel 'forgot', was asked to specify newspaper preferences, but the one delivered was not the one ordered. Hotel staff also provided erroneous information (twice) about how to make IDD calls. Surprisingly, there is no survey form to gather guests' feedback.

As other guests have mentioned, the location is not yet well known. However, didn't have any problems, since the hotel staff provided a namecard and handwrote the address.

It is a beautiful hotel - and new - just the service is disappointing!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Aussie_Travels2
Reviewed 29 November 2008

I stayed in this hotel when I was in GZ for the Canton Fair.

It is by far a very high-end, and up to par Ritz Carlton Hotel...

The check-in was very quick, and the room is really state of the art. Everything is electonically controlled, and the different tea selections (with real leaves, not tea bags) was a great touch.

Buffet Breakfast has a very nice selection, and service quick and efficient.

Only downside to the whole experience is that not all the taxis know where the hotel is located as it is very new, and that someone had dropped off a package for me, but the hotel forgot to inform me of the package when I checked out, and I had to wait for the package to be delivered to me at the GZ Train Station.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business