James Joyce Coffetel Guanguang Branch
Travelocity
US$63
US$31
Trip.com
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Although the room was fine (clean and quit) it was frustrating to get room service or really anything that required communication with those involved. The restaraunts food was fine, and as long as I could point to what I wanted. I did not encounter any staff that could speak any English. Maybe that is expecting to much being that this is China? Maybe a little arrogant of me as a native English speaker? For those on foot the location could be better for access to tourist venues.

My experience of the bed in my room was fine. I have read a lot about how the beds are so hard???? Not my experience. Some staff seemed put off by me trying to communicate with them to get something I wanted, like coffee, matches, etc. I am not sure though if that is the culture or if they where just being rude.

Overall, with exception of location, I would stay here again. The price was good, the room as well as rest of hotel was clean, food was decent to. Really what else could you want???? At under 70.00 Canadian Dollars a night?

Room Tip: The standard rooms are fine as they are unless you are after a view. You just need to go outside to get that!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mitchell C
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

The hotel staff do not speak English and the service is very poor. The continental breakfast is just ok and the moneys worth. It is not centrally located and away from the Indian restaurant.
The bed n pillows are very hard and we had a difficult time.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We were pleasantly surprised after reading some of the reviews. The Plaza was not an international luxury hotel but it was clean, the service perfectly adequate and the breakfast was fine. The beds were comfortable. It was a short taxi ride into town where there were plenty of good restaurants. I would come back here.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kirsty A
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Very mediocre, no staff speaks English; non-existing service; very hard beds; most guests were oriental and the breakfast was maily oriental and therefore really unsuitable to western tourists. The situation of the hotel is fairly good.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We spent 1 night there in the first days of January. Our stay was a part of Grand China tour, and the hotel was booked by our travel agency. We liked our stay there. Hotel is modern, clean and well kept. Room and bathroom are of modern design (bathroom was with frost glass walls). Everything worked properly. Beds and pillows were very comfortable and the softest in comparison with other hotels we stayed in mainland China. The breakfast is purely Chinese and very delecious, with good choice. Hotel is located not in the center of Guilin, but in several km from the central square and Sun and Moon Temples (about 10-11 RMB by taxi). There is a shopping mall nearby (5 min by foot) where you could find some snacks and fastfood (for example, KFC).

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends