“Cheap and good location”
Review of Grand 0773 Hotel

Grand 0773 Hotel
Ranked #182 of 659 Hotels in Guilin
Reviewed 29 April 2013

The hotel is in a good location and is the right price but I was pressured to get on board their package boat ride. How so? Well, I got in late, around 11pm and hit the bed soon after. Around midnight my phone rang. It was the tout, I mean my ride that never showed at the airport, wanting me to sign up for the boat ride. How thoughtful, at midnight!
I did end up taking it though and found out how much I was over charged. Much of the time was spent in shopping malls before the ride started.

Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Jon D

Reviewed 11 April 2013

We selected the Starway Grand largely because of the advertised "complimentary round-trip airport shuttle" among the services. They did send someone to meet our flight -- but made us wait over 2 hours for other guests to arrive before we could leave the airport, so we missed the Li River cruise that was our main reason for coming to Guilin. And upon check-in, we learned that the return airport shuttle is NOT complimentary, but they could charge us 150 yen for a taxi (which locals tell us should cost around 45 yen). Otherwise, hotel is okay. Cute 60's-era rooms with colorful shaggy chairs, the wi-fi works great, and the room has a mini fridge (though it makes a loud buzzing noise). Staff spoke enough English to help us, and the location is great -- 1 block away from the water.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the street, fun for people-watching and not too noisy (5th floor).
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lori S
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We travelled to Guilin on the 24 January 2013 and stayed one night at Grand 0773. We had free pick up from the hotel from the airport upon arrival. Once we reach the hotel we were straight away checked into our room, even though it was before the check in time. The service from the front desk personnel was very efficient, fast and polite. The location is excellent. You can find good cheap food just across the street from the hotel. And shopping is within walking distance with good choices, reasonable pricing. The night market is also very very near by. So is Kentucky Fried Chicken.

The only disadvantage was they speak very little English. So, if you can speak a bit of mandarin it would definitely be of great use when you are in china.

If I go back to Guilin, I will definitely stay at the Grand 0773 again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Dianakpg
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We stayed here in January 2013 as part of an extended trip in China, over 5 weeks.
This is a good value hotel, not too many frills though.
The weather was unusually cold. We were expecting temperatures of 15C and above, instead it was around 0C, freezing point. The hotel is comfortable, but not set up for winter tourism. There was a large air conditioner/heater in the room which kept us warm enough. The lobby has an area to the side which serves breakfast (Chinese food) and a western style breakfast as an extra. This was just coffee though. Check out what they have in summertime, it may be different.
There are many really good restaurants nearby, the hotel will recommend.
There is a safe box in reception and as we were traveling with cameras and computers (I had equipment as it was a business/holiday trip) we availed of it. They recommend that you do not leave unattended valuables in your room and only open the door after looking through spy-hole, they are security conscious.
We did not like the breakfast much, we are fussy though and like a Western breakfast.
The staff were friendly and helpful, only one of them spoke any English and our Chinese does not exist. We got by though with phrase books and phone-apps to translate into Chinese.
Recommend the Li River trip (they have a tourist desk) and go up the hill in the Prince's Palace, great views, make sure to bring your camera. The mountains on the back of the 20Y note are on the river Li, exactly the same view as you will get from a boat. The boat trip is the best thing to do here, indeed one of the best things to do in this region of China. You should also visit the rice paddys, great mountain views and villages.

Room Tip: Go for the honeymoon suite or one of the rooms directly below it, they are the larger corner rooms a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DiveLikeaStone
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We booked 2 rooms but Reception allowed us to have an early check in to one room first at 9am as the other room is not ready yet. My room is facing back, is quite. We stayed here for 2 nights, this hotel room's are modern, simple & colourful decorated even the room's floor are not carpeted, you still feel the room are clean & looks new with LCD TV & glass Toilet door. When you do a online booking you can request for new renovated room . This hotel is near to downtown very convenient. walking distance to shopping center, restaurant and gardens. At night there is a "Xie Cheng Jie" nearby walking about half an hour to reach.
The only thing is room is without WIFI, you need to go lobby to have WIFI and they will off the lobby lights during night time. left ony the reception counter with light on. But it is safe to have your internet access at the lobby.
For transportation from the hotel to airport, you can ask the travel agent to arrange is abt RMB 180 per van for 1 way.
Opposite the hotel is a shop selling Guilin Mee Hoon Soup, I like the Mee Hoon Soup & fried rice. At nigt there is a roadside stall beside the hotel selling those like " LOKLOK" Hmmmmm ask for spicy one is yummy & tasty.....There is another roadside stall also selling the same "LokLok" just opposite the hotel beside the GUilin Mee Hoon Soup Shop.
Come out from the hotel & turn left then walk straight , at the corner there is a small shop selling porridge like HongKong porridge. Nearby is a market selling fresh fruits too.
I booked this hotel at 30% off with Agoda. not more than RM100 per night is worth the value .

Room Tip: We stayed in 5th floor with all new renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Lazybird-Penny
Reviewed 22 September 2012

The Grand 0773 Hotel is not a luxurious place, but offers good vaule for money and is definitely something different. Our room was very colourful decorated and made us smile! The reception staff was friendly and although we only stayed one night, we could store our luggage until the departure of our night train for free. This hotel is definitely recommendable for all independent travellers staying in Guilin.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelSisi
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stood two nights in the hotel, and for being China it was still OK, but disappointing for what I expected for the reviews I had read. When I entered I realized it was not what I had in mind, and inside you can feel the Chinese style. The rooms trying to be modern and fashion, but with poor furniture, lirty walls, and dated feeling. The bathroom seemed to be OK, but for the expectations, again was disappointing. The shower inside, had all the front wall with mold, and not really clean. For sure I used flip - flops (even I must say, I only don't use them when being in the hotels I visit for Business purposes). We asked to see another room, and it was smaller and worst bathroom. Location was OK. Walking distance from the Elephhant atraction, and others. We had to be back after three days, on our return from Yangshuo, but when we arrived in Yangshuo, we decided to cancel, and don't go back to the 0773.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple