“Disappointing”

Ranked #7 of 28 Coffee & Tea in Guilin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 January 2013

The waitresses helped me connect with wifi, but the one who waited on me seemed a little disconnected. But my major complaint was with the food. I ordered lasagna, but when it arrived it was a very small portion. It tasted ok, but for the US equivalent of $4 (28 rmb) it should have been much larger. I have eaten at a Left Bank restauraunt in Yizhou that was quite good-food, service, everything. But after eating at the restaurant in Guilin i had to stop and get some noodles as I was still hungry.

1  Thank hikeon57

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We went to this restaurant twice because the food was good and the waitress spoke reasonable English and was very helpful.The rest of the staff who attended to us were attentive but didn't speak English, it seemed. Location was good too.

Reviewed 13 November 2012

We shared a roast duck which left us both a little puckish as it was full of bones. Our friend though had pizza (48y) and loved it. The flower tea was exceptional, we probably should've had Western food as well. There was a huge selection to choose from! The staff had lots of English to tell us what 'iron braised' meant etc. dog, horse and cat also on the menu!!

Reviewed 31 October 2012

Great atmosphere, great food, quite the European scene, gentle music played while eating, quite a change from other Chinese restaurants on this tour..

Reviewed 18 October 2012

The only thing more unimpressive than the town of Guilin is the pathetic selection of restaurants. If you look in the top guidebooks/ travel sites, they all have a remarkably low number of choices for Guilin and of the two non "Western" recommendations consistently found, both had for some reason, closed since time of writing....what a pity. We were directed by our hotel to "Left Bank Cafe". Given the name, I was immediately suspicious as to what kind of authentic South China fare we were in for. Sadly, it was just after 9pm and most restaurants were already closing down.

Left bank is clean and spacious and the staff were attentive and pleasant. What fails miserably here is the so called food they serve. Menu was a glaring red flag. Pages were all with pictures, in English with only small font Mandarin. No locals to be seen in the restaurant. Menu was a veritable United Nations of food....lamb, pizza, Cantonese, some local items, hamburgers, etc.

We were a party of six. Five of the six felt it was the worst restaurant food ever consumed! The holdout, my eldest daughter, who is not a culinary Magellan, had cheese pizza. She thought it was "ok".

I have no recommendations to offer for Guilin other than to say you need to avoid this one at all costs.

2  Thank tippyview