“People watch with good wine”
Review of Left bank cafe

Left bank cafe
Ranked #61 of 317 Restaurants in Guilin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Needed non-Chinese food, we climbed the outside staircase to Left Bank Cafe. It's located on a pedestrian only street so if the weather is good sit on the balcony to watch the world go by while dining. Dishes ordered were spaghetti, garlic bread, and pizza. The food was fine, nothing special. The service was attentive - something not found routinely in China. I have no idea what type of red wine I had but it was excellent. It was a very relaxing meal. We enjoyed watching all the activity on the street below. If ever in Guilin again, I would stop by.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Our family (two adults, two children aged six and eight) ate here at the recommendation of the Sheraton. While the building interior is large and beautiful with great potential, and the servers were gracious, the food (sweet and sour pork, fried rice, pork dumplings and beef and onion skillet) was mostly lacklustre. The standouts were the beef and onion skillet, as well as a nice bottle of French Bordeaux, which was very reasonably priced. The restaurant was obviously used to serving large tour groups, and maybe the guides know what the best things on the menu are. I was also disappointed at the dirty tablecloth and chair covers. Left Bank Café is located on the pedestrian only area, which was also less than appealing to us.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

I write this review about 4 weeks after I ate at this restaurant. I was one of a party of 16. Our tour leader oredered a mixed banquet for us. The food was absolutely delicious. It was the outstanding that I had in China in a tour that covered 5 cities and 14 evening meals. The food was of a very high standard but the vegetable and fish dishes were the highlight.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

This restaurant is located about the street and you can sit on the verandah to eat. You can watch the comings and goings on the street while you wait.

Our guide ,Cherry, took us to this place and assisted in selecting some of the local food.

Food was tasty and well presented

Reviewed 5 April 2013

I have walked past this 2nd floor restaurant for several years and never ate there. We were invited out for supper and ended up here. I was very surprised how large and private it was. Many private dining rooms and several medium size dining areas. Very nice atmosphere. The entire place was very clean and well decorated.

Our waitress spoke excellent English and was most helpful in making suggestions. She was very attentive during our entire stay.

Because I am American my friends insisted that we have several types of pizza. I have had both good and bad pizza in Guilin. I am pleased to say theirs was one of the best. They used mozzarella cheese and a good pizza dough, which was thin and cooked just right.

The rose flower tea was a pleasant and tasty surprise. The flavor was unique and excellent.

I plan to return here for a several course supper of both western and Chinese selections. I have a strange feeling it will be excellent.

When you take an enjoyable stroll down Walking Street, stop at the Left Bank and enjoy a good meal at a decent price.