“Hotel excellent area not good.”

Days Inn City Centre Xian
Ranked #69 of 2,652 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Thought the hotel was excellent, clean, comfortable, staff very pleasant, but didn't like the area. Very noisy, too much traffic and very dirty, there was rubbish everywhere, glad when we left. Enjoyed the visit to the city wall.

Room Tip: Our room was on the back of the hotel, no view but only spent two days there.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Located on the main road and within walking distance from the Bell Tower, The Drum Tower and the Moslem street, this Hotel made our days in Xi'an very pleasant, with clean rooms and good housekeeping assistance. The main attraction of the hotel was the breakfast spread which was included in our package. From veggies and fresh fruit to bacon and cold cuts with assorted breads and pastries and Chinese dishes, it provided a great start to the day's heavy sight seeing schedule.

Room Tip: Street facing rooms on higher floors for good city view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

(Warning: long review below)

[In short: 'meh'...cheap and dirty...not good for couples, probably good for people who just don't care about certain things]

Stayed with my wife for three weeks in April 2014. Difficult to say if I was ok with, or disliked, this hotel. This changed day-by-day but always teetered around 'its...okay...kind of'.

We had paid in advance (based on the brand name recognition)...otherwise, we would have probably skipped to another hotel. Just ensuring a room was nerve-racking (but maybe some find this enjoyable?). According to the DaysInn website everything was fine, but repeated calls to this hotel in China were greeted with: "we have no record of your reservation". Calls to the DaysInn customer service, while again confirming our reservation and ensuring us they would talk directly with hotel management, did not seem to influence the folks at the actual hotel. Perhaps needless to say, we 'surprised them' upon our arrival; however, in the end, they honored the reservation (hooray?).

Others have correctly pointed out the various 'failings' of this hotel:

1) Painfully indifferent service: Want to print something? You are advised to seek the "business center". Upon arrival at this center (i.e., a single desk), it is out-of-service..consistently...for three weeks. Want to use a phone because the one in your room does not work (no working number 5)?, they will of course provide one at the main desk, but you will need to 'out-yell' the two employees loudly chit-chatting with one another. While our check-in and check-out went smoothly as we did them at really odd hours (due to flights), I could see how others would think it was rather slow/inefficient...many times me and my wife would walk by the main desk and it was "standing room only" due to the number of people waiting to be checked-in.

2) Limited English: well, this is China so I am not bothered by this, but if you expect anything above "basic functional English", you would be disappointed. Maybe learn some key terms in Mandarin (or the local dialect)?

3) Dirty rooms (some aspects): the carpets are worn beyond all belief (small sections ripped out) and soiled (cigarette burns even in non-smoking, as well as other 'miscellaneous' stains). Pro: slippers are provided! The bathroom always smelled like a public restroom (but only between the hours of noon and 6pm...odd). The grout in the bathroom was flaking off, but they 'fixed' it by slathering some kind of compound over about 12 tiles so that it looks like a big wad of crusty gum.

4) No (functional) wifi (for laptops) in-room: extremely limited wifi on my laptop, to the point that I just gave up after a couple days. Oddly, my wife's tablet worked 'ok'...most of the time. Not enough to stream music over the web, but enough to check e-mails and perhaps make a brief Skype audio call.

5) Other promised amenities not working or just weird: heating/cooling = nope; in-room fridge = yes, but doesn't work; in-room safe = yes, but not anchored to anything so can be easily stolen.

On the other hand (open your mind....)

1) We paid 190 RMB per night (30 US dollars / 22 euro as of the time of writing). This included all taxes and two morning breakfasts. Even after adjusting for being in China, this is not terribly expensive. Thus, I can't call this hotel 'terrible'...we got what we paid for. Our mistake (not again!).

2) Breakfast was actually ok (maybe more geared for Chinese people?). My wife actually looked forward to it...me, not so much, but it was acceptable (I'm not fussy). Indeed, it was for 'only' two hours and if the coffee runs out an hour and a half in, maybe consider having some tea?

3) Bed and shower were clean. This is actually important I would say, as opposed to something more cosmetic like a soiled carpet. So, another positive. For those saying the bed was hard...this is pretty much the norm for Chinese hotels (in my experience). If you want 'western' soft beds, these are more likely to be found at higher-range foreign branded hotels. Upon talking with local Chinese, they generally prefer hard beds, so it is not surprising to find beds which match their tastes.

4) Central location: it is within a 10 minute walk to the Bell tower and the Muslim (Hui) district. It is less than that to the metro which takes you to the new high-speed train station. It is a 15 minute walk to/from where the airport bus drops and picks you up. Hint: be prepared to push and shove your way on this bus if you are returning to the airport...everyone else will be.

5) Wifi works in common areas: found this out much too late.

Still reading? Well, I hope this gives you some idea of what to expect (hint: don't).

Room Tip: Unless you enjoy being woken up by the street-cleaner loudly playing 'jingle bells' (that...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank irishiceman
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The good: This hotel is close to a subway stop and a straight shot from the north train station, close to a number of sights (Baiyuanmen shopping and food, Muslim district, Grand Mosque, Bell and Drum Towers, and city wall). There were plenty of places to eat and buy staple items near the hotel. They offer rooms with three beds in each, which was a plus for our large group.

The bad: I could go on for a while. Check in was long, they ignored us for the first couple of minutes until I spoke to them in Chinese. The entire hotels is pretty run down, and the rooms are not very nice. Beds are hard, I mean like "you will wake up every two hours because your body is numb hard. Breakfast is pretty weak, and is only open for two hours. If you show up during the second hour they slowly just let the food run out. The dude making eggs told me he could not make scrambled eggs, they only had fried.

Another bad: Service was pretty lame. They did not go out of their way at all. In addition to being unable to make me a scrambled egg, I was told they could not help find a cab, and could not help arrange transportation to the train station. Whatever.

Room Tip: Yeah, go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Good breakfast, centraly located, very very close to muslim quarter and people very nice. Good place to rest. The only negative thing is that the people who works there has very limited english, but the rest very good.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank garambullolap
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Right in the centre of main high street Xi'an. Could not get better. Strange entrance as one registers upstairs, downstairs is a travel agent. Large rooms, quiet even though facing main street traffic. Very helpful staff. Great rate. Buffet breakfast with good range of western and chinese dishes. Excellent housekeeping. Great value for money. Ask for the rooms on the higher floors.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank 2012sunilmumbai
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Our stay began with a long wait to check in even though it was late at night with a handful of people in line. Next downer was realizing there was no wifi on our floor, we had to go to another floor and sit on a hard bench and hope the internet would work. This place is definitely not in the city center, about 10+ minutes to walk to the city center and maybe more to the Muslim street. The bus stop is maybe 5 minutes away.
I would consider this place below the standard of the typical Days Inn in America. Slippers are provided in the room and I wouldn't touch the carpet without them. The AC wouldn't get cold, which was extremely frustrating in the August heat wave.
Interestingly, there is a Chinese bath/massage facility on one of the floors. We wanted to get Chinese foot massage, so my husband, who is originally from China and so speaks fluent Chinese, called the number in the hotel directory. They (apparently) told him there was the regular massage and the 'beautiful girl' option, and the 'foreign' girl option....sooooo, he explained that he and his wife seriously just wanted a foot massage. We went to massage/spa place, which was not very nice or professional, but the foot massage was actually very good, and cheap. I recommend it after a long day. Although we were pretty creeped out at first.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple