“Very new apartment - great location but just ok breakfast”

Citadines Xingqing Palace Xi'an
Ranked #25 of 2,612 Hotels in Xi'an
Canberra
“Very new apartment - great location but just ok breakfast”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment on the 15th floor which looked very new. It was very modern looked and comfortable with a nice couch and TV, dinning table, a well stocked kitchen, two bathrooms both with a bath and even a washing/machine front-loader/dry combo! Each room had a big flat screen TV. We got one roll away bed for the kids (4,6) and just put the mattress on the floor at the foot on our bed. It was fine for them to share which was good as if we got another one it would have had to go in the lounge-room/kitchen. The beds were on the hard side but ok (for China!).

The place felt so lovely and and we were all very happy to arrive here after a bad hotel in Beijing.

Breakfast wasn't great however and could be easily improved a lot. A very little gloomy room tucked away in a weird place on the 5 th floor(that you needed to access via the 6th floor!) and not a great choice for westerns. We had to ask a few times for more bread and butter. We ended up buying fruit bread and cereal for the kids in the well-stocked supermarket in the basement and bringing them to breaky. The staff werent nice or helpful here although they were nice and helpful at the front desk! Maybe they need better training at the breakfast.

The fittings all seemed very cheap however and I do wonder what this place will be like in 2 years time. I think it was very recently refitted (at a bargin price in record time no doubt - very modern China)!

Cant comment on the value as this was booked for us by our tour company we only got a one line price. I would say its a 4 star place - except for the breaky which is 2-3 stars.

Room Tip: As for a renovated apartment on a higher level to avoid traffic noise. I am not sure if all the room...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Shixia, SMT at Citadines Xingqing Palace Xi'an, responded to this review, 18 November 2012
Dear Guest,
We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. At the same time, we are happy to have met your expectations in service and quality standards. Receiving such positive feedback from our residents motivates us to further improve our commitment to delivering good service.

Once again, thank you for your valued patronage. From all of us at Citadines Xingqing Palace Xi'an, we look forward to welcoming you again at any one of our serviced residences.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed in this very nice modern Citadines Xingqing Palace Apartment in Xian. The staff have limited understanding of English. We had booked this apartment nine months ago, but when we arrived at 15:00 hrs our room was not ready for us and we had to wait for one hour in the lobby with all our luggage. The two bedroom deluxe had two toilets, shower over the bath, which was a little difficult to get in and out of, and comfy king size bed. It had a modern kitchen with 4 glass hot plates & an air-conditioner that worked well. The safe fitted our gear and was fixed to the wall. The two level Vanguard Supermarket was next door which had a good selection of Western & Chinese foods and was open until 22:00 hrs. The supermarket did not accept foreign credit card, only cash.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I stayed for 5 nights while I was doing tours in Xi'an. I booked this hotel online and paid about 45$/night. This place is perfect If you're looking for a hotel that's affordable, comfortable & where you can cook some meals. It's not luxurious & there is nothing special about it. The apartment hotel lobby is quite normal, nothing fancy however the room was very adequate in size & space. The rooms are fully equipped with a small kitchen area, large closet, small bathroom with a shower & bath and cable with a few channels in English. Can't complain, when I came back from my tours, my room was always clean & tidy, water bottles were restocked and I always had plenty of clean towels.

I have to give the service 5/5. The staff was helpful, although granted that there was only two staff members that spoke English, however others tried to help me with the use of phone translators. I was always given directions, helped when I needed the keys for the lockers in the sauna and even the bellman came with me to the bank across the street when it was late. I really appreciated all the help I was given. I enjoyed my stay and would definitely recommend the Citadines.

The only thing I wasn't too thrilled about was the location, it's quite far from the airport and many taxi drivers do not want to drive you there since it's out really out of the way. It took me about 20 minutes to find a driver. It's about 1 hour and 20 minutes away and be prepared to pay about 150-160 RMB.

The good:

-Great service
-Near supermarket (open late until 9-10pm), Watsons (pharmacy), bank & spa
-very spacious rooms with small kitchen areas (very good if you want to save some $$ and make your own meals)
-Sauna & steam room ( I really suggest trying them out, there are well maintained & very clean. Great way to relax after a long day of touring, and the bonus is that it's always empty, I went everyday after my tours, and there was always no one)
-gym with a good selections of machines

The bad:

-very far from the airport & to my surprise, many taxi drivers did not know the area. I suggest you bring the phone # with you and try to print the the hotel name in Chinese, this will help you to get a taxi quicker.
-the breakfast is not amazing (typical Chinese buffet breakfast with limited western choices (toast & jam, watermelons, and maybe a few cereals)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Rosestar99
Shixia, SMT at Citadines Xingqing Palace Xi'an, responded to this review, 25 September 2012

"
Birmingham
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Stayed here for three nights with family (incl five and six year old) as part of tour of China. First time we've used Citadines and would definitely return.

We stayed in a two bedroom deluxe suite, which was more than adequate for our needs. Although there are no food facilities on site, there are plenty of places to eat locally and a supermarket next door.

The manager saw us to our room to check everything was ok and generally the staff were good, with some having a reasonable command of English. You don't get some of the services you'd expect in higher end hotels but that's not their market and we worked round it.

I will certainly check out Citadines as an option in future.

• Stayed July 2012

West Calder, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I stayed here one night on business and liked the place. The rooms are very modern with nice laminated flooring, a comfortable bed and a small kitchen area. The bathroom was spacious enough with good quality tiling, all clean and fresh and adequate toiletries.

There was in room tea making facilities, a good sized colour TV and free wifi in the room and the reception area. If you like Karaoke, there's a fantasy bar for that right next door.

Overall, I liked the place and would stay again whether on business or a few days holiday.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I'd read great things about this place, and seen great pictures, so I was really disappointed when we checked in.

The first issue, the apathy of staff. Some were great, some really didn't care and couldn't wait to palm you off to someone else rather than having to struggle talking to you (as most of them speak no English). I was happy to try speak mandarin - as I'd learnt some basics in preparedness before hand. But it was clear they'd rather not speak to us.

The second issue - I'd crequested a non-smoking room, and when we entered our room, there was an ash tray, and it smelt of smoke. We went back downstairs to find out why we were in a smoking room, and were then given a non-smoking room. That room was much better.

I'd read a lot of reviews for China hotels where the beds were hard and the aircon couldn't be turned down - this was one of them. Each night we'd wake up really hot, but you can't turn the aircon down. Also, the fridge temperature couldn't be turned down either, so the yoghurt we bought went off.

We looked at the breakfast, but decided against it. It seemed to be traditional Chinese fare, where we were after western basics (toast, cereal etc).

Both rooms we saw were a lot older/more dated than I expected - given the reviews and pictures I'd seen. But they were clean. Perhaps the other positive reviews were for different rooms? We stayed in a standard room.

We did encounter some helpful staff, who explained to us how to get the bus to the Terracotta Warriors, and were friendly. So overall, the hotel was not bad, but not good, just so so.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Shixia, SMT at Citadines Xingqing Palace Xi'an, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Citadines Xingqing Palace Xi’an! At the same time, we are happy that you pointed out the valued patronage for improving our service in the coming days.

Once again, sorry for the inconvenient. From all of us at Citadines Xingqing Palace Xi'an, we look forward to welcoming you again at any one of our serviced residences.
Fowey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2012

this citadines was fabulous. We were given a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe bedroom suite which was enormous and everything was new. Essentially it was an apartment and so relaxing to return to after a heavy duty sightseeing. We liked the neighbourhood: there was a traditional street food market down the road, a food market and modern shops all nearby. Taxis and local buses took 10 minutes maximum to the bell tower inside the city walls. I felt we had more of a taste of the local community than if we had stayed inside the city walls.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family