“Incredible Jade Carvings and Jade products to buy”

Tian yi Jade factory
Ranked #5 of 77 Shopping in Xi'an
Winnipeg, Canada
129 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Incredible Jade Carvings and Jade products to buy”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We like to take these factory tours because you learn so much about how they create such wonderful items.

The most interesting part here is how an artist takes one piece of round jade and can actually carve up to 7 different jade balls inside the original piece. It just seems impossible to do yet the Chinese do this everyday at the Jade factory.

We enjoyed browsing at the factory but didn't buy anything. We prefer to buy jewellery in our own country, Canada, where we can return the item if we are not 100% satisfied.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Ken J

Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fake jade abounds in Xian!”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

During a visit to the Terracotta warriors museum we bought a cheap "jade" bracelet from a stall on the way out of the museum. Only cost $3 but looked so real and felt good, and the story about Xian jade is so appealing. But my wife and I were not surprised a few months later when it broke and we could see that it was made from highly polished, coloured concrete. There must be quite a big industry in fake jade, for there were hundreds of these bracelets for sale. Buyer beware!

Visited April 2013
3 Thank CharlesnTree
Washington DC, District of Columbia
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Magnificent Jade, Great Learning, Prices for all budgets”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Jade has always fascinated me. My step mother loved it and had several carved pieces. The Jade factory taught us the difference in the stones and how to tell the quality of the jade. Jade is basically either river Jade (the purples and pinks) or mountain Jade. Jade is really nephrite and jadeite.
The pieces range in price and some of them are so astounding that it's worth going just to see the carvings. If had unlimited money I could do some real damage there. I do recommend it for a learning experience as well as for shopping.

Visited June 2013
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great Place To Visit But Beware !!!”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We had such high hopes for this place but unfortunately we discovered a few lies and trickery. We had one of the workers there show us around and give us a quick guide to jade types and quality.

We had a look at some of the high quality bracelets and were quite surprised at the prices, we knew the highest quality jade isn't cheap but we sensed they were prepared to take advantage of people's ignorance.

We were told that because this is a Government owed factory, all prices were exempt of taxes. I think this was just a clever line to fool people into accepting their prices. We were told any jade cheaper than this is definitely fake. Big statement unless you go and check every single piece out there to confirm.

The thing that really bugged us was in regards to a particular piece. It was a dragon that had a red faded look, at first we thought wow, but then realized that they had many of the same piece scattered around the store, but never displayed together.

I collected a few of the dragons and put them side by side, it looks like the pieces were all dipped in some sort of red dye to give them this effect. They all had the identical markings. I kept this information to myself and asked a senior member of staff about how the jade is red. They went on to give me a detailed explanation of how the minerals in the jade cause different color tones. This unfortunately confirmed that they are deliberately selling jade products, knowing that they have been artificially altered to increase their price.

I have no doubt that they sell very high quality products, but unless you're a highly skilled buyer of precious stones, you can expect to be taken advantage of.

I may be being unfair, but based on my experience, this is what I think.

However, if you're just visiting it to see the products, this place is very visually appealing.

In China generally, I think getting a good piece of jade for a fair price would require help from a friendly local who knows how things work.

Happy shopping :)

Visited May 2013
7 Thank Hoquester
Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Rip off”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

While in Xian on 23rd October I went on a tour we were taken to a Jade factory where my partner bought me a jade bracelet with different coloured stones around it which we were told was made from 10 white carat gold. The bracelet broke after less than 2 weeks and when I got back to my home in Western Australia I took the bracelet to a reputable jewellers who informed that the bracelet was not made from white gold and would be difficult to fix it due to the metal used in it.

The bracelet was paid for by credit card and the name of the Jade Factory on the docket is Xian Tian Yi Xian Cn CNY. It is a big disappointment to our holiday to know that we paid a lot of money ($146.00 AUD) for a bracelet that isn’t worth anything. I have been unable to find an email address to contact this Facotry to complain so if anyone can help with an email address please let me know. I should have been more careful - buyer beware. Thanks

Visited October 2011