Bell Tower Hotel
US$63
US$58
US$221
US$96
All reviewsmuslim quarterexcellent locationroom facinghotel is situatedmetro stationancient citytour guidewarriors
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Not a great first impression, because when we tried to check in they didn't have our booking even though I had a confirmation slip from booked through their website. 10 minutes later and a call to the sales team to confirm we did in fact have a booking they gave us a room. Unfortunately, despite being a "non - smoking" room, as soon as we walked in the room stank of old cigarettes! Lucky for us, we were able to be moved to much nicer room that didn't smell of old cigarettes... The furnishings are very dated and you can definitely tell it hasn't been renovated in over 10 years. The only good thing is its prime location! Very close to everything in x i'm so if they renovated it would be amazing...

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The location is great, rooms ok, but the front desk was rude and unethical. Upon checkout we asked the front desk to call a taxi to take us to the airport. They refused and said we need to use their private hotel car at 4x the price. We asked for the phone number of the taxi company, so could call the taxi. The front desk refused again, hoping we would have to take their expensive hotel car. A passer-by heard the discussion and pointed us to the Melody Hotel 2 blocks away, where there is a regularly scheduled airport bus. The Bell Tower Hotel did not even mention that to us, and essentially held us hostage to earn a few bucks more. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone based on their behavior. There are more honest hotels in the area.

Room Tip: A hotel is as good as the people who work there. I do not like being scammed.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank curt1953
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Of all the hotels we stayed at while travelling in China, this was the least pleasant experience. As others have indicated, the location is the primary selling point. Walkable to restaurants, Muslim Quarter and other nightlife and certainly a spectacular view of the Bell Tower. The lobby is quite nice, but the rooms and other public areas are old and getting shabby. Breakfast was as mundane and average as anything else. We like it cool at night, but the hotel had not turned on the AC yet in April so it was quite stuffy. I also believe we were overcharged for drinks in the lounge.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel used to be the top hotel in Xi'an 15 years ago, but it continues to go down hill. As long as the prices are low - it is worth staying at. If the prices are above $120 USD per night - there are better hotels to stay at than this one.

I stayed in the executive suite and check-in took a while - as did check out. They still use the Chinese way of checking everything in the room and making you wait before they allow you to leave. They have obviously not learned from the other western hotel chains how to speed up the process for those that have to make flights and assume check out will be "normal procedure."

The executive suite is from the 90's. The carpet is all new, which is good, but the furniture, bathtub, bed lamps, etc - are from another era. -again - no problem, as long as the price reflects the accommodations.

Internet is free and is relatively fast for China. I was happy with the Internet service - which is the most important for me.

You are also in the middle of everything the city has to offer. Location can not be beat.

If you need to check in early because of an early arrive of a flight, this hotel is also very accommodating.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RZirkelbach
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I usually stay in another hotel in Xi'an but on account of it being booked up I ended up here. I had known the hotel and have attended conferences there in the past, at which point it seemed quite grand and well located.

I stayed on the 7th floor (business floor) and the view over the bell tower is unrivalled. However, the room was appalling for this price range - the official photos are very deceiving. The furniture was old and dirty, everything was chipped and scratched and stained. The huge old A/C sounded like a train running through a tunnel and the lights did not appear to work outside of the living room area. The bathtub was extremely dirty and uninviting and the shower was essentially a pipe sticking out of the wall, emitting one very hot or very cold dribble of water. Breakfast was equally bad and I eat my fair share of hotel breakfasts - the standard is never particularly high but I usually bring myself to eat a plate. However, when the bacon hurts your teeth to chew, you know its probably left over from yesterday.

Staff were fine and I was only staying one night so I did not make much use of the other facilities.

Location is excellent, overlooking the bell tower and a few minutes from the muslim food street and so on. However, I would advise against judging this hotel on location alone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business