Grand Metropark Hotel Xi'an
US$97
US$465
US$315
Sofitel
All reviewsbell towerbit datednice hotelcity attractionsold cityrooms are spaciouschinese restauranttaxi driverdrum towerhyattlobbychinawallfurnituretouryuan
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Upon entering the Grand Metropark hotel in Xi'an I was taken aback by the impressive lobby that stood before me.
Check in was quick and easy and the lifts to the rooms were close by, by the time I stepped foot out of the lift I was hit by the noise of parrots screeching and babies screaming.
As I walked down the corridor (which was adjacent to the balcony overlooking a seating area as the building is all open plan) I could see that the 2 or 3 floors above me were dedicated floors to a baby sitting service - this is a good idea but was not great during the late night/early hours when all we could hear was screaming, crying and the nannies shouting across the balconies to each other.
I was woken by this many times during the night and at 4am I finally gave up trying to sleep and switched on the TV whilst packing my suitcase early. Lucky I was only here 1 night.

Other than this, room was a little on the small side but pleasantly laid out with nice furniture, bathroom again was small but adequate, all very clean but the mattress was a little hard.

Food in this hotel was very nice, plenty to chose from at the breakfast buffet - lots of western and eastern dishes to chose from.
We did have dinner here the night we arrived and was served on a lazy Susan as usual in Chinese culture, the food was very nice but even tho there were 10 dishes to chose from, there was not much per dish. We weren't given an option on what we were going to eat - was basically "eat what they bring and if you don't like it then tough" - a number of dishes arrived and we weren't sure what they were but the waiting staff couldn't explain what was in there - this is not very good as we had one member of our group allergic to garlic.

Not sure if I would return to this hotel if I had a choice, it's a shame but there were too many issues within the first few hours of being there.

6.5/10

Room Tip: Avoid the higher up floors on the East wing as there are rooms dedicated to child minder services and all you can hear all night long is babies crying, nannies shouting across the corridors to each other and they have parrots in cages, constant noise during the early hours.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Lloyd T
Guest_Relation_GSC, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Metropark Hotel Xi'an, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

To Lloyd T
I am sorry to hear that your stay at the Grand Metropark Hotel Xi'an was not to your expectations.
We offer the babysitting service so that both employees and guests can have their children looked after when they go experience the city. However we are now dealing with the issue you have stated in this review.
Thank you for taking out the time filling out this online assessment, as it has given us a clear insight in what issues are in need of recorrecting and will be done so in due course.
Once again I apologise for the issues that you encountered, and i hope that this does not influence your choice of hotel in the future.
We Hope To See You Again!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Grand Metro Park is a very nice, spacious hotel. I think it was the Hilton or Hyatt before it was Grand Metro Park. We were only there 2 nights, but the room was quite comfortable. The service was good. Our stay included breakfast. They line up a buffet along a hall and then the breakfast room where you sit looks like one of the conference rooms. It was okay, but my least favorite between the hotels in Beijing and Shanghai that we stayed in on this trip as there was not as much variety and there weren’t as many people there either, so the food wasn’t always hot. Overall, however, I would stay here again were I to return to Xian.

Room Tip: Our room was on the corner (end of the hall) and was large and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lojo34
Guest_Relation_GSC, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Metropark Hotel Xi'an, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

To LoJo34,
Thank you very much for taking out the time to fill out a review, we apologise in the delay in response.
We are very pleased to see that you had a pleasant stay during your visit, also by uploading multiple photos of the room you stayed in, allows others a deeper insight into our guest rooms..
And you were right in thinking that Grand Metropark Hotel Xi'an was a Hyatt before it changed names.
We would happily welcome you back if you were to return back to Xi'an,

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

The good: centrally located, 15 min walk from the bell tower and 5 min from the east gate; a few min walk away from one of the city's main shopping street; nice rooms; clean bathrooms; great choice of breakfast; friendly service; two restaurants;

The bad: look dated and dirty, do t let yourself be deceived; except for the two restaurants and a dull lobby, the hotels doesn't have much to offer.

Overall a good hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

To Xueyan,
Thank You vey much in writing up such a positive review. Thanks the Grand Metropark Hotel's location within the city, allows guests to visit place like the Bell and Drum Tower, as you so mentioned. It also within walking distance of the Muesum of Forest Stone Tablets, and If your willing to go a little further, the Big Goose Pagoda.
We are currently renovating the main entrance to the lobby, which will add a new element to the hotel.
Once again, thank you for the feedback, and if you ever return to Xi'an, please do remember us.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights as part of the Travel Department Solo friendly Chinese Holiday
Hotel was very centrally located Rooms were in good condition and the beds were comfortable
Breakfast was very good with a wide and varied choices I would certainly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank JOANce

To JOANce,
May i personally thank you in taking time out to write a review for us, especially one so positive.
It sounds like you got the most out of the hotel during your stay,
and if your ever to plan to return to Xi'an, please do stay with us again.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I was overall pleased with this hotel. The lobby and public areas were quite nice, and our room was alright but seemed a little bit outdated. We kept having problems with the heater going off and the room stayed really cold. When we asked at the front desk they went up and fixed it, but then I think maybe it went off along with the lights etc. once you remove your keycard, and we couldn't get it started up again without asking the maintenance staff. There was also a leak in the bathroom ceiling. They got all of these things fixed very quickly as soon as we mentioned it, but it would've been nicer if we didn't have to ask.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Amenities were very nice here, including an expansive complimentary breakfast, a nice open bar/lounge area in the atrium of the hotel, a worthwhile gift shop, and my favorite - a great gym with a good selection of weight machines, cardio area, and a small indoor pool/hot tub.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank operaelm

To Operaelm,

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review. We apologise profusely about the problems you encountered during your visit. However, I am very pleased to hear that your overall experience at the Grand Metropark Hotel was too your satisfaction.
If you ever find yourself in Xi'an please do not hesitate to visit us again.