“Qin Dynasty History baked in the earth”
Review of Day Tours Xi'an

Day Tours Xi'an
Ranked #42 of 83 Tours in Xi'an
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Xi'an as a must-see destination in China now stands up there with Beijing for those travellers interested in the history of this ancient land. The discovery of the Terra-cotta warriors, horses & chariots in 1974 by Shaaxi Province farmers & the resultant archaeological development & painstaking restoration work has catapulted Xi'an into the first rank of world tourism. The sheer scope of the site is amazing, the Qin Terra-cotta Warriors Museum is divided into three pits comprising a massive area of over 16,000 square metres! The 1000s of soldiers and horses in the main pit are lined up in rows surrounded by a rectangular, raised viewing platform, allowing visitors (vast numbers of them) to edge their way along the platform to see all of the clay figures on display. Another standout feature of the visit for me was to see Mr Yang in person (the farmer who actually discovered the pieces in 1974). The tight-lipped, camera-shy Mr Yang was given a job for life by the government to sit round all day signing books about the Terra-cotta Warriors! One of the challenges for tourists is to try to sneak a picture of him, as if he senses that someone is trying to do this, he will invariably thrust out a "No photos" sign in front of his face! Our guide told us a wonderful anecdote of Mr Yang's hilarious encounter with President Clinton in Xi'an in 1995. Before we visited the museum site itself, we visited a nearby factory where you can buy replicas of the Warriors, all ranks (foot soldiers, kneeling archers, generals, etc) & in all sizes. All manner of TCW-associated objects were for sale at the factory. Both it & the Museum represent Terra-cotta tourism overdrive! All sort of keepsake gimmicks are available for the tourist including photos of your face superimposed onto the torso of a Terra-cotta Warrior (Personalised Warrior Statue)! Non-Terra-cotta activities in Xi'an include driving, cycling or walking along the impressive, high City Walls & a visit to the Giant Wild Goose Pagoda.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

Last September, Three of my friends and I went for a travel on the silk road, china. It was the most great and wonderful tour that we ever had.We found out many people are itching for exploring the these ancient trade routes between China and the West began in Xi’an, China . So here i would like to share some top things to do in Xian, Silk Road China.
The Silk Road China
The Silk Road (Route) is a historically important international trade route across Eurasia. A rich collection of images, text and annotated resources on the cultures of the historic Silk Road China helps you know more about the great Golden Silk Road Route China.

Ningxia Ancient Tombs
Xixia Imperial Mausoleum (Emperor's Tombs) in Helan Mountain in Yinchuan, Ningxia, is called as "Oriental Pyramid"

Three famous festivals of Musilims
1. Balram Festival:The Rozah Festival, or Islam Balram, is an important traditional festival of ten minority nationalities, Xinjiang Uygur, Ningxia Hui ethnic groups. Kashgar is a big family where all ethnic groups....

2. Corban Festival (Eid al-Adha): called Feast of the Sacrifice, the Major Festival for Muslims.

3. Mawlid (Maulidi) Festival: It is the observance of the birthday of the Islamic prophet Muhammad which occurs in Rabi' al-awwal, the third month in the Islamic calendar.

Qomul Hami Hui King's Mansion & Tombs
(1) Qomul Hami Hui King's Mansion

(2) Qomul Hami Hui King's Tombs

The Karez Underground Irrigation System: It is a special irrigation system in Desert area. Along with the Great Wall and the Grand Canal from Beijing to Hangzhou, are three major projects of ancient China.

The Grape Valley: It is a National 5 a-level tourist scenic spot famous for grape.

Jiaohe Ancient City Ruins: is the largest, oldest and best preserved earth construction City in the world and also the most complete city ruins that has been saved more than 2,000 years in China.

Tuyugou Valley
Tuyoq or Tuyugou is one of the most ancient Uyghur oasis-village in the Taklamakan desert, with a well preserved Uyghur orientation, and few tourists. It is famous for its seedless grapes and a number of ancient Buddhist meditation caves nearby containing frescos.

Loulan Ruins: Loulan was an ancient kingdom based around an important oasis city along the Silk Road already known in the 2nd century BCE on the north-eastern edge of the Lop Desert. The term Loulan is used to refer to the city located near Lop Nur as well as the kingdom.

Uyghur cloth printing dyeing (Xinjiang Uyghur Ikat): Ikat, or Ikkat, is a dyeing technique used to pattern textiles that employs a resist dyeing process similar to tie-dye on either the warp or weft fibres prior to dyeing. The word ikat derives from the Indonesian word mengikat 'to tie'.

Hotan blanket (Xinjiang Palazi): The palazi is a kind of traditional blanket that dates back more than 3,000 years ago. Usually woven using colorful wool thread, palazi-weaving has remained largely unchanged through the centuries.

Hotan (Nephrite) jade: While nephrite jade possess mainly grays and greens (and occasionally yellows, browns or whites), jadeite jade, which is rarer, can also contain blacks, reds, pinks and violets. Nephrite jade is an ornamental stone, used in carvings, beads, or cabochon cut gemstones.)

Saussure Involucrate: Xinjiang saussurea involucrata (Alias snow lotus) Main growth in north and south slope of Tianshan Mountain. Several varieties of snow lotus are used in traditional Tibetan medicine.

1  Thank josiehuang
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I am a solo backpacker and usually stay away from booking tours (as you know, typical 20 year old backpacker on a budget). However, I decided for the Terracotta Warriors I would make an exception. I booked a Terracotta Warriors in Xi'an with Gary and I was highly impressed about the service. The guide was really informative, let me stop whenever I wanted to take photos, any questions I asked were fully answered. It was a really great way to see something that you hear about your whole life...and I was not let down! The Terracotta Warriors themselves were spectacular, and I even got a chance to have my photo with the warriors! I learnt so many things that I never knew and the guide was very enthusiastic (something which is hard to find these days)! Thankyou Gary for organising this!

Reviewed 6 October 2012

I booked a last minute trip with gary to Mount Hua and I was impressed. Gary knew a great deal about the site and also is an excellent conversationalist. The most important part why I would recommend him over other travel companies is his fees are very clear and broken down. I knew exactly how much I am paying for services vs other required tickets. He is also knowledgeable about getting around in XiAn, our entire tour took us from the morning until 9 pm at night when we got back by train, but we got to see literally everything. Gary is one of the few guides that really understands the westerner's perspective on travel. I think you will not be disappointed if you let him take you to see XiAn.

1  Thank LostInTimeAndSpace

Been to Day Tours Xi'an? Share your experiences!