“Impressed!”

Aurum International
Ranked #42 of 2,652 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I've staying in quite a few hotels in my day, but have yet to, until now, really valued service. I always value location and "bang for buck." Not any more. I am writing this review still at the hotel itself. The room is nice, beds comfy, location good, price reasonable. Yes there are condoms in the bathroom, but this hotel does not seem dodgy at all. I lived in China for 3 years and this is a quality 4 star. The tv has no English channels, but the internet (wifi) is free and fast, so use megashare if you really need English programming.

What I'm impressed with is the staff. I'm very sick and sadly cannot do any activities that i had planned (including the warriors). I went toothed lobby bar for a delicious hot chocolate and told the reception I need my room clean as I am not feeling well. The girl was very nice and said right away. I had my hot chocolate, came up to my room to find extra water, a humidifier running and a nice note from the cleaning staff urging me to rest. They must have noticed my medicine and that I had used a the tissue (which they left extra again). Between that and the overall pleasantness of the rest of the staff, I have toi say, this hotel is a must stay for really anyone.

Room Tip: Choose non smoking
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank GordHK

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Upside:

a) good proximity to shopping and tourist sites; and

b) the day manager named Frankie was very accommodating, their saving grace to my disappointing experience.

Downside:

a) their night manager named Alex was not helpful to my needs at all. Our cable TV did not have a single English speaking channel (CNN, BBC, HBO, etc....) even if it was in their list of channels. When I brought this to his attention he immediately dismissed it as cable repairs due to ongoing construction. He didn't even bother to have it checked, move me to another room, or do something about it. He didn't budge from his position;

b) two evenings before my check out date I wanted to book a hotel car service to take me back to the airport after check out. Without checking, this same manager turned to the lady front desk co-employee beside him, murmured something in their native dialect, and immediately said that there will be no hotel transfer available because of the numerous bookings the hotel had that weekend which didn't seem so since I didn't see a whole lot of guests during my stay there from Aug. 22-25, 2013. They said my best option was to use a cab which they could book at the same price as the one I paid from the airport to their hotel which was RMB 190.00. I objected at that price but they offered to negotiate a discount with no guarantee (thank you very much). When I asked how many airport cars they had Alex said, "Two". I told him I would come back the next morning to find out if he got a discount. When I went down the lobby the next morning, I saw the other manager Frankie talking to the hotel car driver that picked us up from the airport. I asked if he could book me for a transfer from the hotel to the airport the following day and no problem, right away the deal was done-----no questions asked. Then I asked Frankie how many hotel cars they had, and he said, "Four". So in my mind not only was Alex unaccommodating, he even lied to me about the number of cars they had.

c) When I checked in the afternoon of Aug. 22, I asked the front desk if they had city tours for tourists. She apologized for not having. Fine. Two days later I noticed a poster in the lobby of city tours and its rates. When I asked the front desk why they told me earlier that they didn't have city tours, she said the drivers and tour guide speaks in their native dialect only.

d) My wife & I noticed that whenever we sleep the aircon temperature increases in the middle of the night and we'd have to uncover our blankets. Then it would get cold again in the early morning. This happened every night. I think they purposely set their aircons that way to save on energy.

e) One afternoon I wanted to go for a swim in their indoor pool. When they handed me a towel they asked if I had a swimming cap. I said, "Of course not, men don't wear swimming caps". After which she should me a written sign that stated that all guests (male & female) should wear a swimming caps. They don't rent, you'd have to purchase one from them at RMB 20.00 each. My question is, "And what would I do with that swimming cap after when no other part of the world requires you to wear swimming caps?"

f) When originally booking for hotels in Xian, China, I noticed something. Most of them do not offer breakfast with their rates. Breakfast meals are paid separately. And here in Aurum Int'l Hotel their breakfast was in an independent function room in the 3rd floor, not a fixed dining area. Not too enticing for me.

Overall, my impression of the people from mainland China (City of Xian) are a bit backward or unglobal. They have a beautiful city with wide streets, tourist attractions, shopping centers and all but they are not very welcoming to tourists. I call it the "Club Mentality" ------ since you're not originally one of us, we could care less about you. They simply are not tourist friendly. 1. They don't care to learn English. 2. In spite of "No Smoking" signs, they still smoke in public places like hotels, restaurants, malls, etc...... 3. Their restrooms are dirty and smelly. 4. They don't mind crowding in to you. It's nothing to them. 5. Their big city has a taxi cab shortage. Quite sad.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank masigan_brian
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We booked this hotel through a travel agent in Shanghai. It was good but not very good. The lobby was clean and room size was ok. The room we stayed was opposite to the local government, so every morning 6 a.m. we woke up by the national anthem!!
But the hotel has very good location. It was easy to walk to the Bell Tower and train station. Also you can find many local shops around.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms opposite to the local government
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Checked in to this hotel and the staff spoke perfect English. The rooms are okay, what you would expect in this price range. Perfect location. Beds are quite good (by Chinese standards). There is a Jamaica Blue (coffee shop) and a supermarket just down the alley next to the hotel which I found brilliant!

I did find the television didn't work though and the in-room movie selections offered a sex-education section which confused me a little!

Overall an okay hotel. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The hotel is next to the Shaanxi Provincial Government; so, many of the guests are probably bureaucrats from the counties who are used to setting the rules in their localities. When they stay in this hotel, they often talk loud and smoke on non-smoking floors. Even though the hotel is supposed to have 4 stars, the low quality of some of the guests really degrades the experience of other guests. The location is quite convenient. The breakfast does not have as a wide selection as most 4-star hotels in China, and the quality of the food is just acceptable.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Only 2 or 3 stars standard. My room is kind of dirty,where you see stained carpet and shower curtain and sofa. What is more annoying is the layout of the room, which is not square or rectangle, and making you uncomfortable. The TV is not flat screen.

Room Tip: Don't book here
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Aurum International Hotel, Xian, China

A former classmate has been working on a World Bank project nearby and recommended this hotel.

The location is nice. It is adjacent to the Shaanxi Provncial Government Center. It is about 4 blocks from the Bell Tower, the very center of Xian. A couple of blocks away is a pedestrian walk that has many restaurants, including Burger King, McDonald's, Dunkin Donuts, and a Walmart.

I was upgraded to a mini-suite, a living room with a desk and a bedroom. Each room has an old-fashioned Chinese TV. There were no international channels. Internet was included. Everything worked. Housekeeping was nice and cleaned my room twice a day. Lighting for reading in bed was terrible. The entire hotel looks kind of old.

Food was terrible. I tried the RMB 50 breakfast buffet. The coffee was so bad that I switched to tea, to the consternation of the waitress. I also tried their RMB 58 lunch buffet and found the same things served. I resorted to buying things at a nearby bakery for breakfast.

There is a full menu of massages available. There is no hanky-panky.

My major disappointment was the gym was closed "from now on."

Some hints

* In the first named alley south of the Aurum, Nan Chang Xiang, there is a good fruit stand.

* It is better to buy beer from convenience stores than the myraids of "Tobacco/Alcohol" places.

* The Walmart has a good selection of Chinese wines. More importantly, they were resting on their sides.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo