I stayed here for two nights with my 70-year old mother. I got a really cheap deal on the hotel through Agoda so I was predisposed to like the place, but also curious as to why it was so much cheaper than the other 4 and 5 star international hotel chains. The hotel is north of the centre of Xi'An, set on a large private square which also holds the Sofitel, another Mercure and a Chinese hotel. The BIG advantage of this is that the hotel is completely silent - no traffic noise at all - and you step out the front door into a square with trees and a fountain playing, rather than into the chaotic Xi'An traffic. The hotel is very well maintained, our room was on the small size but also very nice, big comfortable beds, super clean. The staff were all exceptionally friendly, helpful and polite, with excellent English. The breakfast buffet was fine (good coffee!) with plenty of European / American options alongside the Chinese ones.
I also liked the location - it was about a 20 minute walk to the Muslim Quarter which, let's face it, is pretty much the only place worth visiting within Xi'An itself. It was also a 20 minute walk to the train station where we got the bus out to the Terracotta Warriors.
The one negative point is that the facilities advertised on the hotel website - gym, swimming pool, spa - are not actually at the hotel, they are at the Sofitel on the other side of the square, along with four or five restaurants. I had been planning to go swimming, but the fact I had to cross the square rather than just wander along to the pool within the hotel put me off. Not a big deal, but this might be why the Grand Mercure was cheaper. Other than that - everything was great. And it was a lovely place to come back to after a hot, dusty day among the crowds.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Mercure Renmin Square is a heritage hotel, first opened in 1957 and is located in the grounds of Renmin Square. The hotel reflects the Sino Russian style of architecture, which is steeped in revolutionary history. There are 202 well appointed rooms, a restaurant and bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Expedia, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Mercure On Renmin Square Hotel Xi`An
- Mercure Xi An
- Accor Xi An
- Grand Mercure Xian On Renmin Square China/Shaanxi