“Good value hotel in a nice location”

Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square
Ranked #10 of 2,550 Hotels in Xi'an
Dublin, Ireland
“Good value hotel in a nice location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Hotel is part of Accor chain and shares facilities with Sofitels and other hotel on Renmin square. It feels safe with security on gates 24h, even though we really felt safe anywhere in China in our travels anyway. It's about 20-30 mins walk to Bell Tower area, where you have all the shopping, restaurants etc. Staff was helpful. Concierge organized a driver and private tour to Terracotta army for same price as tour operators.

Room was a bit smaller than in other hotels we've stayed in other cities, but sufficient for the 2 nights we have been there.

Bed was quite hard, so if you prefer softer check some other hotel. Also swimming pool is located in Sofitel building.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
SofitelXian, Manager at Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear guest,

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and hope that your next visit with us will be as pleasing as the previous one.

Grand Mercure Xi'an on Renmin Square

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Rexburg, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel is supposedly just a 4 star hotel. It is surrounded by other nice hotels and the grounds are magnificent. There are nice restaurants nearby and you are inside the Xi'an city wall. the breakfast buffet was very well set, with eggs cooked any style you want and an assortment of Chinese and Western style dishes. It was a great way to start our day.

The rooms had free wifi and although they were a little dark, they are clean and the amenities are all there. You will love this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SofitelXian, Manager at Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Mercure on Renmin Square Xian. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Your sincerely,

Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Unfortunately I only stayed at this hotel for two nights. The entire experience can be summed up with one word - Opulent. The hotel is set in a large compound with other hotels and the grounds are magnificent. The room was large and spacious with all of the amenities that you would expect in a five star hotel, robes, slippers and The bathroom was also stocked with all possible personal needs packaged in a tidy presentation case - perfect. The mini bar was stocked with an extremely wide variety of just about any libation that you could desire. It also enjoys residence in the same park as the Le Chinois restaurant which was fantastic. The breakfast buffet was a sight to behold with more choices than you could possibly savor in both Western and Asian selections. This hotel is extremely high on my Must return list. People have commented on the location as being too far away from attractions. I found it to be PERFECT. I don't expect to always walk to destinations while on vacation (which I always am), so a short axi ride or long walk is never a problem. Face it people when you walk through neighborhoods you experience the true flavor of the place that you are visiting. I look forward to my next stay at The Grand Mercure Renmin Square Xi'an

Room Tip: Any room in this hotel will be fantastic
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank BobChase
SofitelXian, Manager at Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Grand Merucre Xi'an on your recent visit to the city and very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.At Grand Merucre, we strive to provide superior levels of service to all guests; therefore your feedback is very important to us and we thank you again for providing it. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here.

Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed here for two nights with my 70-year old mother. I got a really cheap deal on the hotel through Agoda so I was predisposed to like the place, but also curious as to why it was so much cheaper than the other 4 and 5 star international hotel chains. The hotel is north of the centre of Xi'An, set on a large private square which also holds the Sofitel, another Mercure and a Chinese hotel. The BIG advantage of this is that the hotel is completely silent - no traffic noise at all - and you step out the front door into a square with trees and a fountain playing, rather than into the chaotic Xi'An traffic. The hotel is very well maintained, our room was on the small size but also very nice, big comfortable beds, super clean. The staff were all exceptionally friendly, helpful and polite, with excellent English. The breakfast buffet was fine (good coffee!) with plenty of European / American options alongside the Chinese ones.
I also liked the location - it was about a 20 minute walk to the Muslim Quarter which, let's face it, is pretty much the only place worth visiting within Xi'An itself. It was also a 20 minute walk to the train station where we got the bus out to the Terracotta Warriors.
The one negative point is that the facilities advertised on the hotel website - gym, swimming pool, spa - are not actually at the hotel, they are at the Sofitel on the other side of the square, along with four or five restaurants. I had been planning to go swimming, but the fact I had to cross the square rather than just wander along to the pool within the hotel put me off. Not a big deal, but this might be why the Grand Mercure was cheaper. Other than that - everything was great. And it was a lovely place to come back to after a hot, dusty day among the crowds.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up probably have more light - we were on the second floor so our room was a little on t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank maririgirl
SofitelXian, Manager at Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear guest,

At the same time,we appreciate your sharing your concerns about the swimming pool, we are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I arrived at the hotel past mid-night. There were few Local fm Shantung were making noise at front desk over their reservation. There seem some miscommunication with their reservation by the agent. The hotel is fully booked for next few nights. Hotel could only garner them 1 night. one of them raised his voice n bang table. The front reception handled it calmly and patient. A pity that there was only her manning the reception. I waited for almost 15-20 mins before I could register. All in all I managed to get to my room at 1:30am to 1:45am. If she couldn't settle the dispute of the early group am wondering will I get to my room? hotel shd consider extra manpower.

Generally the hotel service is good. Room is spacious and clean. Being inside the square create kind of exclusiveness and privacy for the guests.

There's 1 local mall approx 200m away. Bell Tower is 2 stops away. u can take public bus at 1 CNY. much cheaper than taxi or tuk tuk. I asked 1 cab to Tangs Palace at Wen Yi road, they quoted me 100 CNY. it's ripped off ! I wanted to ask hotel for help but lobby was so busy and I couldn't find any conceige for help. Certainly more room for improvement.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank phyl98
SofitelXian, Manager at Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear guest,

At the mean time, we are very concerned to learn that you encountered some problems in the room as well as in the concierge. we are so sorry about that. please rest assure we have brought this to the relative department and prevent the future occurance.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We picked the hotel based on good review here.
I want to point out the hotel location is not central, it would take a good 20 mins to walk up to the intersection or Main Street from the hotel and then a few more mins to be able to cross it! I did not enjoy the walk as some sections were not pedestrians friendly and Xian drivers were either blinded, don't care or both. I couldn't flag down any taxi.

Check in went well, we arrived early from an over train from Beijing and were allowed to check in. Thankyou. It was rained heavily outside so let our driver go early, and went to have lunch at the Sofitel, it was very delicious. We couldn't get out, as all umbrella were on loans.
Our room was facing the front, we could heard birds in the morning, and we could open our window. May as well, as our room was quite warm and stuffy, I rang housekeeping no one spoke English there. I rang the reception you must call housekeeping! I was giving up. Then there was a knock, a lady appeared with a small fan, using her hands gesture I then guessed that, a/c system is only works from 6pm to 6 am only.
The bed was very good, softer than expected, linens were good quality. I did sleep well here.
The minibar fridge was in the room, with free water bottles and kettle for teas & coffee making.

In the morning, I wasn't sure where was the breakfast room was, so asked the front desk, this person was not at all friendly, she was rather rude , without looking at me and barked at me "4 floor"!
My husband wanted to report her for her rudeness, but I said let's go eat breakfast, they probably won't do anything about this.
Breakfast was ok, plenty to eat but nothing outstanding or nice tasting. The eggs omelet were swimming in oil. However, breads and pastries were good and enough to make me happy.

We went out with our tour guide to See the Terracotta soldiers and Xian main attractions, we have lunch at one of the local BBQ restaurant, and went back to the Sofitel for our afternoon drink before heading out to the Tang dinner show.
We were checked out by the same lady who checked us in, and all went well, she was friendly, and efficient.
Not sure if we would come back to this hotel or Xian, we found Xijan people were the least helpful, agressive, pushy and viewing tourist as walking ATM and ready to rip us off at any chance they can.

2 Thank gmocanu_perth
Dear guest,

At the same time, we are very concerned to learn that you encountered some problems in the room as well as the frontdesk that you are not peobably satisfied with. we are so sorry about that. please rest assure we have brought this to the relative department and prevent the future occurance.

Tubingen, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Overall
Very nice hotel built by the Russians in the 50s, well maintained! You will not feel and see the age. Hotel is good for tourists wishing to see the city by themselves as it is close to the center and the Hot Spots are in walking distance.

Location
As the Hotel is a bit away from the center, it is very quiet and safe. As already said, you have all the important spots in walking distance. You can walk in a square to see the drum and bell tower, the city wall and the flower / Muslim market.

Cleanliness
Clean room, although a lot of people already lived there (you can see this on the carpet). Unfortunately, both of the big towels had hairs on it.

Room
Big room, unfortunately it is a bit dark. As there was no free King- or Queensize bed when we arrived, we had to take a 2 bed room. But it was possible to push them together (Yes, it was dirty below the beds...).

Bathroom
Big enough, clean, new shower and bathtub available. I already mentioned the dirty towels.

Staff
Friendly, good English speaking staff (even the cleaning lady could speak English).

Breakfast
Western and Chinese style available, wide variety, very good quality.

Miscellaneous
We'll definitely come again if we visit Xian again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
SofitelXian, Manager at Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear guest,

At the mean time, we are very concerned to learn that you encountered some problems in the room, we are so sorry about that. please rest assure we have brought this to the relative department and prevent the future occurance.