I stayed 4 nights at the Sofitel on Renmin Square in Xi'an, and I must say I was impressed. I have had a few experiences in China at prominent Western hotel chains where the local property doesn't quite live up to the brand reputation. Happily that wasn't the case at all with the Sofitel in Xi'an.
The lobby is spacious and beautiful, the front desk staff very polite and helpful, and the room was lovely. The room looked a tiny bit dated, but only a tiny bit, and it was more of a design/interior decoration out-datedness than any sort of shabbiness of the room itself or the furnishings. The breakfast buffet was also outstanding - as is almost always the case at top-tier hotels in China. There's even a pretty lively bar/nightclub in the basement, with a band and plenty of room for dancing and reasonably priced beer. It's a bit hard to find as it's in a long tunnel that runs under the hotel, but just keep walking and you'll find it.
Xi'an was a wonderful, crowded, hectic city, and the Sofitel was a nice respite from the craziness outside. Be wary of the taxi queue outside the hotel (and of taxis in general in Xi'an). I was told it's one of the major few cities in China where the industry isn't regulated and rip-offs are common. Most of the taxis outside will refuse to take you anywhere except the airport or to the terra cotta warriors area, and if you get in without either a local Chinese friend or assistance from the hotel's staff you're likely to be fleeced. For getting around town just flag down a tuk-tuk and negotate a price before you get in. 10-15 RMB should get you anywhere in town, but don't be surprised if they ask you for 50 or even 100. Just laugh and say 10, and if it's not raining on Friday/Saturday night, the driver will probably accept. The hotel staff can assist here too - in the evenings there is a bellhop standing at the street entrance, and he'll be happy to flag one for you and set the price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The majestic Sofitel Xian On Renmin Square locates right in the heart of its walled city. It is in the hotel complex of beautifully landscaped gardens stand a series of historical buildings of Sino-Russian architecture echoing more than 50 years of history. The 414 spacious guestrooms equipped with ultra-modern conveniences - the exclusive Sofitel's MY BED, rainforest shower, complimentary wireless Internet access. For the busy executive traveller requiring extra efficiency, the Club Sofitel has 56 rooms and suites with upgraded facilities, services and exclusive benefits. Azur delights with fresh, savory Mediterranean dishes and European specialties. At the Casablanca, experience authentic Moroccan dishes. Koi, our Japanese Restaurant is the very best in Japanese cuisine with an elegant atmosphere. Le Chinois is the most prestigious Cantonese restaurant in the city. Bar Bambu is the lobby bar with romantic live music, and you can also enjoy the international music our Habana Club of finest wine and cigars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, ACCOR, Southall Travel, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Xian On Renmin Square Hotel Xi`An
- Sofitel Xi An
- Accor Xi An
- Xi'an Sofitel
- Sofitel Xian On Renmin Square China/Shaanxi