We were booked into the Xian Sofitel as part of a Wendy Wu tour of Asia. There were 4 of us traveling, 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Since we needed 2 rooms, it was important that the properties we stayed in gave us connecting or at least adjoining rooms. My agent as well as Wendy Wu Travel confirmed with the Sofitel numerous times that we would be given rooms next to each other. When we arrived we were told that no connecting rooms were available, and that the only rooms close to each other were 2 kings not the king and 2 twins we had booked. After our guide (who spoke Chinese for us) pushed them, they first offered to upgrade us to king suites to compensate for their mistake and then suddenly the clerk "found"us two rroms right across the hall from each other. I was not happy but we decided to take them since being close was what mattered to me. When we got to the roooms, my kid's room was across the hall, but 6 doors down. We told the bellman that it was not acceptable, and he went to call the front desk. When he came back he told me they were sold out, and that was they will not be able to move us. Luckily our guide had hung around and started working on the front desk. After almost 30 minutes of back and forth, and being told repeatedly they were sold out, we ended up in rooms 4 doors apart. Later, I got online and found they had multiple levels of rooms (at and above our level) available on their website as well as 6 other Trip Advisor found sites.
Needless to say, we found their service severly lacking. Why they were not willing to make the effort to put us in rooms together knowing we had children is beyond me. All their literature claims they are a 5 star resort. Prior to arriving there we had stayed in 4 real 5 star hotels, and I assure you they would not have treated us that way. So for service I give them no stars. The property is impressive when you arrive, but the rooms we ended up in pale in comparison to the Beijing property we had just come from. They looked tired, and the bathrooms have tiny single sinks with no room for your toiletries.
The one bright spot was the breakfast that was provided. It has really good food, and the wait staff was very efficent. Things were looking up after our first breakfast until I called the concierge to ask for some info about visiting the Mosque in the Muslim quarter. I wanted to know if my daughter and I needed to wear long skirts and sleeves. The response was "I do not know, we do not go there." Really? One of the more popular attractions in your city, and you can't figure out how to get an answer for a guest?
So to sum it up, the property grounds are very nice, the rooms are NOT 5 or even 4 star quality, and the service stinks. If you want a high end hotel on par with the 4 Seasons, Fairmont or St. Regis try somewhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The majestic Sofitel Xian On Renmin Square locates right in the heart of its walled city. It is in the hotel complex of beautifully landscaped gardens stand a series of historical buildings of Sino-Russian architecture echoing more than 50 years of history. The 414 spacious guestrooms equipped with ultra-modern conveniences - the exclusive Sofitel's MY BED, rainforest shower, complimentary wireless Internet access. For the busy executive traveller requiring extra efficiency, the Club Sofitel has 56 rooms and suites with upgraded facilities, services and exclusive benefits. Azur delights with fresh, savory Mediterranean dishes and European specialties. At the Casablanca, experience authentic Moroccan dishes. Koi, our Japanese Restaurant is the very best in Japanese cuisine with an elegant atmosphere. Le Chinois is the most prestigious Cantonese restaurant in the city. Bar Bambu is the lobby bar with romantic live music, and you can also enjoy the international music our Habana Club of finest wine and cigars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, ACCOR, Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, Agoda, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Xian On Renmin Square Hotel Xi`An
- Sofitel Xi An
- Accor Xi An
- Xi'an Sofitel
- Sofitel Xian On Renmin Square China/Shaanxi