“Disappointing”

Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square
Ranked #7 of 2,550 Hotels in Xi'an
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We were booked into the Xian Sofitel as part of a Wendy Wu tour of Asia. There were 4 of us traveling, 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Since we needed 2 rooms, it was important that the properties we stayed in gave us connecting or at least adjoining rooms. My agent as well as Wendy Wu Travel confirmed with the Sofitel numerous times that we would be given rooms next to each other. When we arrived we were told that no connecting rooms were available, and that the only rooms close to each other were 2 kings not the king and 2 twins we had booked. After our guide (who spoke Chinese for us) pushed them, they first offered to upgrade us to king suites to compensate for their mistake and then suddenly the clerk "found"us two rroms right across the hall from each other. I was not happy but we decided to take them since being close was what mattered to me. When we got to the roooms, my kid's room was across the hall, but 6 doors down. We told the bellman that it was not acceptable, and he went to call the front desk. When he came back he told me they were sold out, and that was they will not be able to move us. Luckily our guide had hung around and started working on the front desk. After almost 30 minutes of back and forth, and being told repeatedly they were sold out, we ended up in rooms 4 doors apart. Later, I got online and found they had multiple levels of rooms (at and above our level) available on their website as well as 6 other Trip Advisor found sites.
Needless to say, we found their service severly lacking. Why they were not willing to make the effort to put us in rooms together knowing we had children is beyond me. All their literature claims they are a 5 star resort. Prior to arriving there we had stayed in 4 real 5 star hotels, and I assure you they would not have treated us that way. So for service I give them no stars. The property is impressive when you arrive, but the rooms we ended up in pale in comparison to the Beijing property we had just come from. They looked tired, and the bathrooms have tiny single sinks with no room for your toiletries.
The one bright spot was the breakfast that was provided. It has really good food, and the wait staff was very efficent. Things were looking up after our first breakfast until I called the concierge to ask for some info about visiting the Mosque in the Muslim quarter. I wanted to know if my daughter and I needed to wear long skirts and sleeves. The response was "I do not know, we do not go there." Really? One of the more popular attractions in your city, and you can't figure out how to get an answer for a guest?
So to sum it up, the property grounds are very nice, the rooms are NOT 5 or even 4 star quality, and the service stinks. If you want a high end hotel on par with the 4 Seasons, Fairmont or St. Regis try somewhere else.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to comment your recent stay with us on Trip advisor.

Our sincere apologies for what must have been a very disappointing experience. We can well understand how it would have given you a bad impression. Our hotel has always seeks to provide quality standards to all of our guests and this time round, we obviously did not meet up to your expectations.

We are extremely disappointed with the performance of the reception and the concierge team on this occasion. It is evident that the lack of courtesy, the way of communication, the manner in how our ambassadors handled your request as well the overall lack of care and attention was unforgivable and definitely not in keeping with our service standard. For the points you have mentioned, I will surely ensure our managers be working with the team to provide the necessary training so as to avoid reoccurrences of similar incidents.

I do hope that the shortcomings that you have kindly brought to our attention following your most recent stay will not preclude you from a future visit to Sofitel Renmin Square Xi’an. As a result of your kind advice, we feel confident that we will have taken the necessary steps to improve the deficient areas.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Xian in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Sofitel Xi'an on Renmin Square

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We were booked into the Xiang Sofitel for 3 nights and on arrival asked if we could upgrade our reservation to an Executive Room. I am an Accor Advantage Plus member and showed my membership card which seemed to cause major confusion. While I told the lady on Reception that I wanted to pay to upgrade she kept insisting that I could have free drinks in the foyer bar and discounts on meals with the Accor Membership but no further upgrade. Both parties were becoming heated until finally she realised I was not insisting on a free upgrade but wanted to pay for the upgrade. Some further training is required for the front of house staff. The Executive Room was fine with plenty of space and reasonable facilities. The Executive Lounge however is one of the poorest we have experienced. While the staff are extremely friendly the quality of food and beverage is poor. Breakfast was just passable and the evening drinks were bottom of the range. I would question whether it is worth upgrading.

Room Tip: Probably not worth upgrading to Executive room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very concerned to learn that our services and quality of food were not up to your expectations. I am truly sorry that this was a disappointment and please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we will take the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I found Sofitel and it's staff very good. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful. My friend is a member of Accor and we were upgraded to a junior suite which was very nice. The only thing was the clear glass doors on the toilet and shower... which is ok if you the only one in the bathroom but the gkass carries through to the bedroom side but frosted thank goodness. My friend and I called it our daily peep show!

Apart from this,the hotel was wonderful. The breakfast buffet was very good,with no waiting or queuing. Large selection of everything you could want. One thing though...you had to ask for the butter and it was brought out one small piece at a time as though it was rationed.

A wonderful place to end my holiday with a dear friend.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

At the meantime,I am concerned to learn that you encountered a little problem at breakfast. I am sorry that this is a disappointment and please rest assured that we take the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during our recent trip to see the Terracotta army in Xian. We chose this hotel as it seem to have good recommendations. It is very clear at check-in it was one of the best hotel in Xian. The number of tourists and business people in the Lobby tells its own story. The hotel itselt is on the middle of Xian, within the City Wall and you can see the central bell tower in the distance when driving there. The hotel itself is in a big complex, with the Grand Mercure hotel and the Sofitel convention center nest door. All belonging to the same Le Club Accor group.

The Sofitel itself has two wings, East and West, and is link by an underground walkway, which has been turned into a gallery selling arts. We were allocated to the East Wing, which seems to be the quieter wing as more of the restaurants and hotels shops seems to be in the other wing. We received an upgraded to a Junior Suite because my wife has elite status with the hotel group. The Suite was very nice and suitably plush and has a separate working and sitting area. The bathroom is also very large with a walk-in shower. We had the city view and the view is nice. There is also a few panoramic elevators serving both wings. The lobby can feel a bit crowded, but that is not the hotel's fault as I think there must have been a convention and other tour groups staying at the same time.

Two issue which took the shine off from being a "5 stars". One one occasion I made the mistake of using the bathroom in the lobby area before going out. It was quite obvious that someone has smoked in the bathroom. While this may be the inconsideration of one guest, I do not understand why the hotel does not take step to install smoke alarm to deter this behaviour. Being subjected to smoke in an enclosed space is not fun. The other issue was breakfast on the first day, as we were in the East Wing, there was only a small restaurant called Koi. It was clear on this morning it was overwhelmed. The hostess was having problem keeping people out. We could also have breakfast on the other wing, which is a much bigger restaurant and I think the selection is also better. Again, the chaos in the morning was caused by guests, but for a 5 stars hotel maybe a booking system the night before could have been implemented?

In the end the breakfast was pretty good, but my advice if you are staying in the East wing is that avoid the small restaurant and immediately head to the west wing for breakfast. It may mean you have to wake up earlier, but is worth it. A shopper mall is within 15 minutes walk from the hotel if you don't fancy eating in the hotel's own restaurant.

All said and done, still one of the best hotel in Xian, but further improvement is possible.

Room Tip: Choose a hight floor room if possible. A coin toss whether you like view of the street or the intern...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very concerned to learn that some of the areas of the hotel were not up to your expectations. I am truly sorry that this was a disappointment and please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and we have brought this to the attention of the relevant department.

Thank you again for providing your feedback, it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

baku
Reviewed 20 June 2014

In the centre of xi'an, this 5 stars hotel is very well located inside the wall. I travel with my family and small kids, the room is confortable .
the hotel have 2 towers, east and west, we stayed in the east tower, where the restaurants are.
they offer excellent service, and we dont have any problem

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sofitel Xi'an on your recent visit to the city and very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide superior levels of service to all guests; therefore your feedback is very important to us and we thank you again for providing it.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours sincerely,

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 19 June 2014

It is a fantastic hotel, with all facilities you can imagine. Very well located. Shame I couldn't try all restaurants...
The gallery connecting the two buildings is really an experience, the people in the lobby extremely kind and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Centre of Xi'an inside the old city wall.
A good standard and clean with good facilities.
The only drawback was being woken at 6.00 by the most awful "piped music" as the flag was raised. Not he hotels fault but get a room facing the square not the street.

Room Tip: Get a room on the square side not the street to avoid the dreadful piped music in the mornings....
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Studd2710
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very concerned to learn that your expectations were not met. I am truly sorry that this was a disappointment and please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.