“How can a hotel be 4 star and not provide A/C in the rooms”

Gaosu Shenzhou Hotel
Ranked #922 of 2,559 Hotels in Xi'an
UAE
“How can a hotel be 4 star and not provide A/C in the rooms”
Reviewed 27 April 2009

No A/C in the rooms
Corridor yes but not the rooms
Tempted t sleep in the corridor
Hence too hot and uncomfortable

Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Hebrew first
Santa Ana, California
Reviewed 3 November 2007

As members of [--] in October of 2007, my wife and I stayed at the hotel for three weeks. We would rate the hotel as “tourist class” inasmuch as it needs refurbishing, although it boasts decent enough rooms and facilities. We requested extra chairs and an ironing board (and iron) and we not only got them right away but kept them in our room for the 21 days. Although the beds are terribly hard, and the lighting in the room for reading was horrible, and all room heating was not available until the government said it was cold enough, there are some very good points: (1) free internet service if you bring your laptop, as well as free services of a technician to help connect if you have difficulties, (2) grand, wonderful buffet breakfasts each day with everything you could want, and (3) a choice of two restaurants for dinners. In addition, we thoroughly enjoyed the foot massages which were given in our room ($15 US each). We suggest that you ask for a room with a view of the city wall as it is lighted at night and is quite beautiful as a view.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank GlobalVolunteer
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 October 2007

The Hotel itself is ageing and needs renovation although it looked like the reception area had been modernised, but having said that the rooms were comfortable and were generally clean, so we had no complaints apart from the “air conditioning” whch just seemed to push air around no matter what temperature was selected. It wasn’t too much of a problem at this time of year but you couldn’t live with it in the Summer. Breakfast (the only meal we ate at the Hotel) was fine and plenty of it. The reception staff didn’t appear to speak English, but fortunately we had a Chinese guide. When we went out at night we caught a taxi back to the Hotel using the Hotels card and were never ripped off, they always used the meter. Apart from the proximity to the city wall, the Hotel is a bit far to walk to any shopping, so you do need to taxi if you stay here

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Goldstein
Tasmania
Reviewed 2 September 2007

We have just returned from our stay at the Gaosu Shenzhou Hotel in Xian. Our initial thoughts of the hotel were - very impressed. Unfortunately as we delved further into the hotel we realized that the front entrance was a facade to create a false impression.
Our room was average, looked tired and in dire need of some renovation.
The windows didn't open.
Beds were rock hard (this is nothing different from any of the other hotels we stayed at in China though)
The staff - although willing to help as much as they could, it seemed only one person per shift could speak english, our attempts to communicate did result in the service required. This hotel was used by alot of European groups and I did pick up that some of the staff could communicate with these groups easily.
Breakfasts were good in the hotel, a great mix of Eastern and Western options.
We ate one night in the restaurant and found it to be under utilised but the food was good.
The bar $ seemed quite inflated from what we had experienced in Beijing.
The Location : This hotel was located outside the City Wall and I found it to be in the middle of nowhere....taxi's were cheap though to travel to the Muslim quarter/Drum Tower etc.

• Disliked — Bathroom in the Hotel room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Villes_Family
Washington, DC
Reviewed 9 March 2007

Hotel has been renamed: Gaosu Shenzhou Hotel. I've stayed in some of the finest hotels in the world, but for my trip to Xi'an I stayed where my volunteer organization booked the rooms. I was there for three weeks.

While the hotel rooms could use a bit of a renovation, never in my wildest dreams did I expect to enjoy my stay so much. My room looked out directly at the southeast corner of the City Wall, which was magnificent. Every single employee went out of their way to take care of whatever requests I had. Two of them even took me to various parks and other locations in the city. My room had an Internet connection (free), air conditioning, plenty of hot and cold water, bottled water delivered daily, terrific service, very comfortable big bed. The room was quite large, too.

The breakfast was beyond belief, as someone else described. The dinners were delicious. I found the location to be perfect. It was a very short walk (directly across the street) to the City Wall and into the center of the city. Yes, the neighborhood was not the best, but for me I loved it. So much street life, friendly people everywhere, smiling children, markets, etc. Very easy to get a taxi whenever necessary, and I never paid more than $1.00. Where in the world can that happen?

Besides everything I've already mentioned, would you believe that the room rate, including Internet and breakfast, was under $40/day?
I would absolutely stay again at this hotel.

• Liked — The employees; the location
  • Stayed October 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Joel1950dc
Montreal
Reviewed 24 August 2005

Stayed only two nights at the Xi'an Sino Pearl hotel while travelling with a student tour group. The hotel had friendly service, spoke english, a wonderful breakfast buffet (complete with scrambled eggs and waffles and maple syrup) and the restaurant served us 30 hungry students a delicious dinner banquet. during your stay there i recommend going for a foot massage.

A word of warning though, the hotel isn't in the nicest of districts in Xi'an, so wondering around solo at night is not recommended.

• Stayed May 2005