“luxurious”
Review of Green Lake Hotel

Green Lake Hotel
Ranked #4 of 1,241 Hotels in Kunming
Reviewed 29 August 2014

actually I did not stay in the hotel, but the taxi driver brought me to this hotel - by mistake. once I got into it - I was very impressed and felt that I would want to stay there if I did not have already booked another one which was much more modest.
the location is alos very good - near the green Lake of Kunming.
I also recommend to pass in Kunming the city in your way to Jing Hong, Lijiand and Dali. Then from Kunming you may want to use the train (even the night one). This is a nice way to meet the locals in a direct way. also gets you cheaply to the place that you want to get.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is a well-run large hotel, luxurious yet also meant for business travelers. All the amenities including a very large indoor pool, excellent restaurants, a string quartet playing in the lobby tea salon, etc. Fancier than what we normally look for, and certainly not a small boutique trendy hotel, but a nice change. What makes it absolutely super is that it's across from Cuihu Park (Green Lake Park), a central Kunming gem of a park where you can stroll at all hours and watch people dance, practice taichi, exercise, etc.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FellowTaveler2
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Green Lake hotel has made huge improvements over the 10 years I have visited. Overlooking the Green Lake which is green in the summer because of the vegetation. The rooms are well furnished and the quite, the bed comfortable and there is a choice of pillows.
Food is of a good standard this includes the Western food they cook in the coffee shop. Pricing is a little expensive but you take into account what they provide it is probably ok. Would recommend the hotel if you was a very good standard.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2014

the location is great, parks, downtown, markets, etc. are in walking distance, or you take a bus stopping right in front

almost everything was as you can expect from a 5-star hotel:
- the service was very good but not bothering
- the room was very comfortable, the view not that spectacular though
- breakfast was good, but choices seemed a little bit limited for a hotel this class
- some minor bathroom amenities could have been provided as well (e.g., hair tie, facial care)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 July 2014

A nice hotel in a good location. The building is grandiose (not sure why the check-in counter is at the back, a bit incovenient to check in/out with luggage!), the staff were courteous, and the room is practical (lots of light switches!). Decent internet connection. I did hear my neighbours (esp. shower) but other than that, slept well. I thought there was no hot water (spent 10 mins running the shower when I realized that the blue/red (cold/hot) water indicator was reversed and I was running cold water for 10 mins! I was impressed with the TV monitor in the bathroom but that TV unfortunately did not have the same wide selection of channels as the one in the bedroom. I was not impressed with breakfast, however (if you like Asian breakfast, fine, but I don't, and the selection of Western breakfast items were limited). Coffee was awful.

I would recommend this hotel people looking for a nice place to stay in Kunming.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our family stayed here for 2 weeks in May /June 2014. We loved having Green Lake just outside the front door and plenty of restaurants within walking distance. The hotel was clean, comfortable with perhaps the softest beds in China. It had all the comforts you would expect in a Western hotel and then some. There was a television in the bathtub! The breakfast buffet had plenty of variety of Asian and Western breakfast foods. The buffet staff was slow to provide service. The housekeeping staff was excellent. We enjoyed the tea room for high tea and the tea table provided in our room. The pool was very clean and of good length for lap swimmers. Yes, they do require you wear a swim cap and shower before entry. My only complaint would be that they allowed smoking in the lobby, restaurants and other public areas.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor with a great view of the lake and a nice breeze. We did enjoy hearing mus...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our 3 day stay at this outstanding hotel. The room was luxurious and clean, the room service was excellent and all the staff at the hotel were very helpful. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast and for dinner and would highly recommend the food. While we were not expecting anyone to speak English, we were delighted to have conversations with a particularly friendly member of staff who gave us some excellent advice about where to shop and the lifestyle in this special city. The location was lovely as the hotel looks out over the Green Lake where people gather throughout the day and night to sing, dance, play badminton and cards. We would love to return one day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple