“Beautiful hotel, but where are the people?”

Intercontinental Kunming
Ranked #2 of 1,204 Hotels in Kunming
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, but I'm wondering where all the people are, it seems so empty. The staff service and the front desk and in the restaurants was great. However, we went out to sit on the lounge chairs in the lagoon area and where surprised to find there was no service there for towels and even for drinks. It is a bit weird that the pool is primarily an indoor pool and you can't swim in the man-made lagoon, but it sure looked like a place you can relax under the beautiful cabanas. It was a perfect weather day for it too.

The location near Danchi Lake is nice, a bit a walk, but certainly worth it. I'd recommend the Sleeping Beauty Chinese Restaurant too, but the service isn't quite up to international standards.

However, be aware that if you arrive at the train station, no taxis want to take you there because of the traffic in getting to the location.

Room Tip: Getting taxis to the location is a challenge as the traffic to the area is a problem for them. A lo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dljhk
NeilHoughton, General Manager at Intercontinental Kunming, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear dlijhk,

Thank you very much for staying with us. We are proud that you enjoyed parts of hotel's services. However, we do feel sorry that we let you down in some aspects.

We have passed the service issue to certain department and I am sure we will deliver more trainings on that to our staffs. When you visit us next time, you may find our improvement on that.

Moreover, for the taxi problem, please understand that the transportation in Kunming do have problems at peak times, if you need any transportation service, please kinldy contact our concierge service, the team will be more than pleased to help you out on that.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind regards,
Neil Houghton

There are newer reviews for Intercontinental Kunming

Reviewed 12 June 2014

IC Kunming provides the unexpected in this rather unattractive city. A very nice, grand facility in a park like setting overlooking the lake. Large rooms and bathrooms, very nice service levels by mostly English speaking staff, Excellent breakfast offerings in " The Market".

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed there for a total of four nights having travelled to Tibet in between. Overall, I am impressed with state of art decor, tasteful design of costumes and welled trained staff.

Dining is exellent
The cafe definitely deserves a thumb up. Supervisors were eager to please and went out of their way to help even with directions to the lake. The breakfast buffet table incorporated local delicacies and had a variety that surpassed all other five stars. Chains have the shortcoming of being too standardized and tend to serve the same things in buffet. As a tourist, I'd love to try local food, within the comfort and clean environment even if price is five times of that available outside the hotel walls.

Perfection marred by a bit of dishonesty
That brings us to taxi business. It costs RMB110 to travel to the airport by meter. The front desk told me all taxis going to airport do not go by meter and would charge RMB150-180 and that the price is negotiated with the driver with the hotel having nothing to do with this. This is blatant misrepresentation. All taxis are eager to have long haul business and the hotel did have a degree of control over their associated taxis through contract.

When I found the telephone number online and called for a taxi myself around midnight, within 20 minutes a confirmation of reservation is received. Some may think I am making a big fuss over a small amount. I don't mind tipping and people staying at such a hotel don't mind paying for good service and value as long as the pricing is transparent. I do mind being conned. If you tell me you will charge for reservation, it is perfectly fine but I hate being treated as a fool.

Overall, excellent hotel and I would stay there again. Having to arrange my own transportation is a bit off though. Wifi is also close to nonexistent.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank winnie s
NeilHoughton, General Manager at Intercontinental Kunming, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear winnie s,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and your kind review.

I would like to clarify the taxi situation in Kunming. Firstly we do not have any control over them and we have no arrangement with them whatsoever.
The fact is that despite the run to the airport being a good distance they do not always have a paid return journey.
Therefore they mostly refuse to put the meter on and make a charge of somewhere up to 200RMB, as the team member advised you.
Whilst this is not how they are supposed to operate as mandated by the government, this is common practice in Kunming. We have reported drivers for this appraoch and nothing happens. So our approach is to make our guests aware of the situation, and try to ensure a cap of 200RMB is not exceeded.

The practice adopted by taxi drivers in Kumning is adpoted elsewhere across China and indeed the world, whilst it is not right it is not a massive rip off in the big scheme of things with about a 50RMB / $8USD suppliment on a 35/40 minute journey.

I hope this helps set out the situation with regard to taxis and the fact that we have no control and no relationship with them. We do offer hotel cars to/ from the airport, but these are much more expensive as the cars are new and luxury brands. 700RMB is the charge when we collect you from the arrivals hall.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and you would return, despite this taxi situation.

Kind regards,
Neil Houghton

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Location a bit out of the way, but close to lake and some attractions
Great facilities, generally helpful staff
Excellent breakfast offering
Concierge Denny was extremely helpful, but difficult to get information and arrange trips as no travel agency services at hotel or nearby, mainly catering to local clientele
Taxi transport tricky at peak times, need to use local app to bid 'tips' up to 20 rmb to secure one (shuttle bus would be really helpful)
Cycled to Dianchi lakeshore, also took cable car across to Xishan forest park, quite enjoyable

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HVHK
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My host chose a hotel for me in downtown but relying on reviews on tripadvisor, I opted for this very beautiful hotel located in the quieter parts of town but within easy reach. I wasn't disappointed in any way. Hghly recommended though the size may be disorienting.

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the reception unless you don't mind a walk.
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This Intercontinental Hotel is the most impressive I have stayed. Because is very close to Lake , no tall buildings are permitted then the hotel is spread out a in large area. You have to walk quite bit if your room is far away from the lobby. On the other hand is a good exercise go and back to the nice restaurants. The entire building is very impressive: big, large, wide. You feel like in the an imperial castle. And the service and food is outstanding. Although a little far from downtown, is highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you don't walk so much, ask for a room in the closer section of the hotel.
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel is a bit far out ..... but if you need to relax, it is worth it. Arrived with a head cold after a multi-stop travel in China. Was worried as we drove and drove from the airport...then relaxed as we arrived in the beautiful site. The size is a bit overwhelming (including the lobby area), but it's beautiful. The room was superb, and between the great bath, bed and dinner and then lovely cafe breakfast (though hard to find the cafe!)....I left feeling a new person and read for the next step of the trip.