“not so good”

Ranked #685 of 2,386 Hotels in Hangzhou
New York City, New York
“not so good”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Chinese friend told me it the five star hotel. absolutely not! The building and interior is a typical 2-3 star hotel. comfortable but not pleasant. The lobby was so noisy with four- five different wedding couples and guests. smoking people.. The breakfast has many choices that was good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I styed here for 2 nights on business.
A very good location for sightseeing.
The rooms were very big with a huge bathroom. The rooms had a lounge area and was very big in relation to other hotels in the area.
Breakfast not brilliant for western tastes.
Hotel staff very efficient but you have to wait for someone to check your room before you check out. (Trusting, I'm not sure!!)

I would stay again as location near town and lakes was very good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2013

My mother and I stayed for 5 nights during our trip to Hangzhou. Since we were sharing a room, I booked for two twin beds. I also booked a Deluxe room instead of a Standard room, as I wanted a larger room. I was a bit apprehensive about this hotel before we arrived as there were very limited reviews in English, and the reviews were very different.
First thing to note is that NONE of the staff speak English. Since I speak Chinese this was not a problem for me, but it could have been a deal breaker for some. Since they could not speak English, the front desk couldn't read that my booking was for a twin room. They gave us a beautiful room on the 18th floor (club breakfast was on the 20th floor), which would have been perfect except that it had a king sized bed. Therefore, I had to leave my mother with the luggage trolley in the room and go back down with the bellboy to arrange for a twin room as booked. The front desk promptly changed us to a twin room, but they had none left on the same floor, and I was given one on the 8th floor. They had obviously originally set aside one of the better rooms for us, as the second room was older, and not as clean as the first. However, being further away from the 20th floor was no issue, as this hotel had some of the fastest hotel lifts in my experience. Almost no wait at all for a lift up or down, any time of day. Anyway, their lack of English was so pronounced that upon leaving, they couldn't understand when I used the term "check out" instead of Chinese. Be for warned if you don't speak Chinese !
The room was spacious, comfortable soft beds(hard to find in China), the bathroom had two sinks, bathtub, a shower room with rain shower, I was very happy with everything. Some reviews said that the air-conditioning was too hot and can't be adjusted. It is central heating, but I found the temperature set just perfectly.
Housekeeping was great, cleaned the room promptly and did a great job. Gave me an adaptor extention board for the entire stay, and lent us a knife for fruit almost every night. No complaints there.
The one thing that I was most upset about was the guards at the front of the hotel. They are obviously glorified parking attendents. The hotel has a driveway and parking spots because it has a famous restaurant inside where weddings and events are held. The guards put removable bollards to cover the entry of the driveway. This was not the issue. The issue is that that would make a big fuss about removing the bollards to let your taxi enter the driveway, and a lot of taxis just dumped us on the side of a very busy street because they couldn't be bothered arguing with these "guards". Apparently these bollards only get removed for BMW, Mercedes or other such fancy cars. Getting a taxi to stop when going out was a nightmare because the hotel is on a corner, and they are not allowed to stop in front of the hotel, and the guards wouldn't let them into the driveway. They would just drive past empty rather than stop. It was so bad that on the day we left, we had 5 suitcases and the guards refused to stop a cab for us, or remove the bollards for a taxi to come in. I had to flag my own taxi by literally standing in front of it as it came round the corner , and the bellboy had to wheel the luggage trolley onto the road so we could get the luggage in the taxi. So if management is reading this, you are a HOTEL. Let taxis in, and fire those guards !!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sarahhobart
Kunming, China
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This hotel has a fairly good location near West Lake and decent rooms. Price includes an abundant Chinese breakfast buffet. When I first arrived, It looked to be a good value for the money. But there was a problem. The air conditioning didn't work.

The control in the room could not adjust temperature. It was just a knob that adjusted fan speed to low, medium or high. The air conditioning duct pumped out hot air. I asked for help with it and was told nothing could be done. It was centrally controlled for the entire hotel.

I know that in China government buildings are often regulated like this; by the calendar instead of by how it feels outside. Knowing that did not help much. Suffered through one hot night, then checked out the next morning to try and find comfort elsewhere.

Another recent reviewer reported problems at check in. I did not have any trouble with check in or check out. (But I speak Chinese.)

Room Tip: Rooms facing the west get hot afternoon sun. You can see the lake from high floors on west facing ro...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Although I booked my room through a Chinese agency (ctrip), reception staff at first were unable to "find my reservation". A few enquiries later, a slip of paper turned up, confirming my reservation. All along, they made me feel like an intruder. Thereupon, none of their equipment managed to read my Visa card, forcing me to pay cash for the first night. The room they finally gave must have been the worst on offer, right above the airco installation (and noise) , with incredibly filthy windows.

The breakfast wasn't terrific either.

Overall, the worst hotel I had on my 3 week China trip, and definitely very bad value.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo