“never, never again”

Victoria Regal Hotel Zhejiang
Ranked #918 of 2,443 Hotels in Hangzhou
Reviewed 26 September 2012

The hotel lobby has no taste at all, it is not a 4 star standard anyway. We arrived at lunch, so we just took lunch in the hotel, a very low class chinese restaurant is in the corner of the lobby, the price is scaring, I odered a beef steak for my son, it costed 32 Euro, the most part of this piece he had to leave it off, Igot a vegetable dish,it was like rubber. it costed about 10 Euro.When I went to my room, I found out that our room was behind the advertisement placard of this hotel, the window was full of dust, the desk was broken, the phone does not work, the door could not be closed, we had our room changed, then we had a room with broken furniture and broken basin. It is so awful, I asked agodo to give me some refund.At reception desk they didn't want to change money for me, because I hold a chinese passport, I am a oversee chinese for 21 years, so I had to use my son's German passport to change money, I gave the clark a lesson, the lobby manager was present, I did not get any appologies.Also the advertised on every webside that they have a swimmimg pool, but there was a fountain in the lobby, I could put my feet in it.
The only good thing is its location, it is near West Lake, but we have to use mosquito device all the night. And the porter was a friendly boy.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed one night at the hotel and it was a pleasant surprise. The location is really great – only 5 min walk from the west lake and 11 RBM in a taxi from the train station (if you are arriving with high speed train from Shanghai).
The room is rather large, the bed is very comfortable and the bathroom is huge. There was no WIFI in the room but you could connect by cable.
The breakfast was included in the price for our room but was very Chinese – not much to choose from when you are piky western travelers like we are ;-)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night and I didn't really like it. Overall, the building was very nice and had a futuristic feel to it. The room was very visually pleasing, but I had some issues. When I walked into my hotem room, it smelled very musty and like smoke (it was a non smoking room). I took off my shoes (I was wearing socks) and the carpet was wet with water. There was a smaller carpet and when I moved that, there was a big water stain underneath it. That bathroom was really nice, however, the walk in shower I had was plugged or something, because the water wouldn't drain fast enough and I assume that perhaps the previous guest had the same problem hence why when I initially arrived, the carpet was wet. When I looked at the wall that was shared from the main room and bathroom, the wall paper was slightly lifting and you could tell mold was underneath the wall paper. Also, my AC didn't work and when I had someone come up to check the issues in my room, we were not very successful in communicating with one another. We had arrived at the hotel by like 10 pm there weren't any other rooms available to switch to. So the staff at least tried. Breakfast was ok. They had different items so that was pleasant. Their apples were brined though, so that was a weird surprise. Drinks at the bar were very expensive. No English channels on the television and wi-fi available in the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The hotel is an acceptable 4* by Chinese standards. It was our first experience of the disconcerting practice in China to demand deposits greater than the hotel bill in advance, in this case a credit card deposit of 1800 yuan for a stay of two days booked on cTrip for 1186 yuan. We were astonished, but arriving late with nowhere else to sleep we presented the card.

I later found this to be standard practice in China. Be aware of it, and make sure you get the deposit cancelled or returned (sometimes we used cash) on departure.

The room was adequate but not spacious, with a view to the street through decoration slats. The bathroom was standard. There were some English language TV channels; very limited English at reception which caused a few communication problems. Free internet.

Location was close to banks and a short walk to shops and restaurants. Not quite as close to West Lake as other comments implied.

A tip if going to the railway. Take the cab to Honglou Hotel, next to the station, instead of to the heavily polluted underground drop off point. The trip will be quicker and cheaper.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loral
Reviewed 10 March 2012

The hotel has a good location for visiting west lake and downtown. It not far away from west lake , only 5-mins walk. There is a bus stop and bicycle stop in the front of hotel. Some bus routes lead to famous scenes of west lake. Or you can rent a bicycle to go cycling the lake. For city trip, just walk to south of hotel, you will find Hefang Street (old down town), Wushan Square(it is also a large bus stop). For shopping, you can find a large department store opposite the hotel.

We ordered 2 superior rooms. But the travel website we ordered provides an upgrade plan and room price(not included breakfast) is the same as superior room. So we were lucky to get a Suite. Its room is modern, wide tiny and fashion style. The bed is King size and comfortable. The most interesting thing is TV which used cable TV and collected all of TV channels in China and many movie channels. In bath room, the tub is great as resort. The shower is individual. One thing is important, the room provides some travel stuff (included some magazines and tea bags)which printed CNY price. It means that they will showed in the bill if you used.

For train station transportation, we can't find any public transportation can use. It is pity for the hotel, the transportation between railway station you can choose is taxi. We recommand that take a taxi on the road or taxi stop of railway station. Some driver will persuade you to take his car in railway station. It is possible they are charged high price or illegal.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This is a very good hotel. Although the staff are not fluent in English, it is so convenient for Westerners. It is situated in the middle of downtown Hangzhou which is great. In a 1 kilometer radius, you can get to City Life (Western supermarket), Starbucks, Subway, West Lake area of Xi Hu Tian Di and Eurdora (Western restaurant) as well as Burger King and other International restaurants. A short walk to the south is Hefang Street (walking street for tourists), Wushan Square and a restaurant street with a huge variety of Chinese restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Robert A
Reviewed 25 July 2011

My wife, 10-year-old daughter, and I stayed here for one night, as a recommended must-see between Xi' An and Shanghai. It's a good older, somewhat elegant hotel. Its location is wonderful, just a few blocks to West Lake and Hangzhou's old town, and a few blocks to a nice, lush, hilly park, where locals gather on mornings for tai chi and open air ballroom dancing. The hotel also is right across the street from the Westlake Intime shopping center, strong for everything from shoes to tea service goods. Our room was clean and updated, featuring a clawfoot tub and a standup shower. The tub and bahtroom were separated from the bedroom by a sliding wooden door, giving the room a bit of a mountain resort feel. The hotel has a nice older bar, where we enjjoyed some relaxation time before dinner. The Tsing Taos were among the more expensive we saw at hotels in the country, at 38 RMB (6.4 RMB to the US dollar) for a regular-sized bottle. The hotel, like others, also had massage services, and the prices were only somewhat more expensive than some we had seen in several Chinese cities during our three-week visit to the country. The breakfast buffet was included in our room rate, but not exceptional. The hotel offered free Wifi in the lobby, but not in the rooms, but the Wifi rarely worked while we were there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family