“Awesome people, very helpful” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Touran Backpacker Hostel
Ranked #29 of 561 Hangzhou B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Awesome people, very helpful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed in January 2014. It was around $30 for a room for myself and I was impressed with the quality of the rooms and service. I was able to rent a bike after putting down a deposit which was returned in full. The staff also helped me book a train ticket back to Shanghai and showed me where I needed to catch the bus. Highly recommend this for budget travelers/backpackers. If you are going there by taxi, make sure you write the address in Chinese as well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jeff B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Yes it was secluded from downtown but peaceful corner. The staff was so nice! I had checked out, left my luggage with them so i could bike to the downtown market with their rented bike. Came back super sweaty and had to get to the airport very fast. They trew me a towel and said: go wash! They taught me some chinese symbols logic. The living area had bookshelves of awesome writers, travel books etc. It smelled like cat pee and the breakfast wasnt too exciting but overall super happy to be there. Met a croatian traveler with whom i shared a beer or two. I would recommend to anyone go there. They are lovely!!

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jeannni
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I've stayed at 6 hostels in China and this is my favorite. The location is very close to West Lake and the staff is extremely friendly. They helped plan my day trips and assisted me in buying tickets to Impression West Lake. You can also walk to the show from here. Its an hour walk but the scenery along the way is awesome. I will definitely stay here again the next time I'm in Hangzhou!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

staff was very friendly and good spoke good english, atmosphere in the hotel is very good, i had met few american girls with who i am stll in touch, just sleep was very bad, because one chinese guy was snoring so hard. but it is not the fault of the hostel. :) and breakfast was very delicious

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hostel almost a week after planning to stay only a night or two. The rooms and facilities are certainly decent, just avoid the rooms downstairs if you can as they aren't quite as good (but still fine).

What really sets this hostel apart is the excellent staff. They are so friendly and willing to help with everything. When I couldn't get my train and all the rooms were booked up due to the Chinese holiday they invited me to stay on the sofas and helped me to get there the next day. Owen took us on a few great nights out in the city, and it was fun to meet and hang out with Lucy, Michael and Candy.

They also have the best dog I've ever seen and a kitten running around.

The only real downside was the location, which is a little out of the city but you can get a bus, taxi or bicycle easily to the city and lake.

Overall I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone else.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Suzhou, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

The location is perfect if you want to be within walking distance of the more scenic attractions in the area - the mountains! Transport links into the city are good too, just a short bus ride into the centre.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. The room I had (private double) was a little small but very clean and included an en-suite. The common area is furnished with comfy couches and I found the other guests very friendly - I met one guest who was a long time resident and he invited a few of us to a nearby club which turned into a really great night!

The food on offer at the hostel is also pretty good, and they serve until pretty late which is handy. All in all it's a great hostel!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Beijing, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed here for one night during our roadtrip through a couple southern cities over the Chinese New Year and were happy to find the hostel with what appears to be a full team of staffers. Our private room was a little small, and had some sad and dreary looking furniture. Mostly clean, but we didn't bother to look too close (which is the case for the bathroom as well). Fortunately, we don't spend more time than needed in the rooms or the lobby. The location is alright, but you'd think it was the perfect spot, since every hostel is located on the same hill side with them. You can take a bike out and reach the lake and tea fields easily.

The staff was pretty great all around, except for when we mentioned several times about how we were driving in and not one person on the phone thought it would be wise to mention the altered traffic pattern on their street, causing us to take a 45 min detour through gridlocked traffic. On the other hand, they did hold that parking spot for us (worth mentioning the free parking?) and they did treat us to a round of coffee in the morning.

Overall, a very average place staffed with hard working people in an alright location. If I return to Hangzhou soon, I will consider staying here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends