“excellent service and facilities - a real surprise”

New Century Grand Hotel
Ranked #32 of 2,391 Hotels in Hangzhou
Detroit, Michigan
“excellent service and facilities - a real surprise”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This is a large and locally managed 5 star hotel in Xiaoshan, and it was a real surprise. Refined, warm hospitality throughout (except the pool, more on that later), nice rooms, and excellent facilities made for a very pleasant 10 day stay for our group.

The room was clean and featured a very comfortable bed and soft linens, nice see-through bathroom, and good work desk. The internet was sometimes slow and unreliable, but at least it was free. English TV channels were limited to CNN, HBO, Showtime, National Geographic, Discovery, and ESPN.

We tried the Japanese restaurant in the hotel, which had very good sushi although it was overpriced. The steakhouse was VERY overpriced and had virtually no customers every time we walked by it. There is a Pizza Hut around the corner, but other eating establishments outside the hotel required a 5-10 minute walk. The subway is currently being constructed outside the hotel which made getting around somewhat inconvenient. The breakfast buffet was good although not the best I've ever had. There is a decent selection of Western and Chinese choices, and the Chinese choices were generally much better. The breads and muffins were stale, indicating that they are not very popular and are recycled from the last few days.

Health facilities: the glass-walled gym could use a renovation but it has a decent selection of weightlifting equipment and cardio machines. The indoor pool is the only black spot in an otherwise excellent hotel. It is a 25 m Olympic-style pool in a spacious skylit room, which sounds good on paper but it is frequently crowded with lap swimmers and the changing facilities are dirty and moldy, with a harsh attendant barking orders at you about how to open and close the lockers and where to put your slippers.

If you're not a swimmer, the New Century Grand Hotel is a great choice for business stays in the Xiaoshan area. It is a large and bustling hotel but the well-trained staff took great care of you, smiling and greeting you and in the lobby, hallways, and restaurants. Note that there are two New Century hotels in this city; this one is called the New Century Grand hotel, the other one is merely the New Century hotel (4 star).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank gwwyjjliu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Liverpool
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

I understand that it is arrogant to expect staff to speak English to a greater level than to go through the checking in process, but what frustrates me about the the new century is they have a number of European students (i presume as they are in their early twenties) wandering around doing basic jobs like collecting plates in the dining area, and when you speak to them their English is perfect... So why in a hotel with a large amount of westerners in it, do they not think it wise to have one on the front desk as part of the team of 6-8 staff already present?
Admittedly my annoyance to this has only been found on my second stay in the hotel, when the outside temperature was much higher 38oC and seemed to make the rooms hotter with it. I like my room to be 20oC at night if possible and therefore used the AC control in the room to dial this in. I went down for dinner and returned to find the air flowing in had not changed in temperature and on measuring the temperature in the room with a thermometer I had with me for work, I measured a very hot 26oC! I turned the dial to the lowest setting of 10oC and attempted to go to sleep on the comfortable bed with a large fluffy duvet on it.
After a restless and sweaty couple of hours sleep, I gave up and hoped that changing my room in the morning would rectify my AC problems, so in the morning I inquired whether the AC was broken in my room or that it was set at one temperature across the whole hotel and that it could not be changed in the room. To this I had blank expressions from all the staff and the response was to change my room. This was a pain as it meant re-packing my suitcase and dragging my bags up to the next floor to an identical room with an indentical temperature and lack of controls!
After another poor nights sleep I again inquired at the front desk whether the temperature is preset and finally got the answer of yes it is and changing rooms again won't help. I then asked if getting a thinner quilt/duvet/blanket or sheet would be possible, but all these words did not seem to be in their vocabulary so I started acting out the process of getting into bed and pulling a sheet over me etc. this finally worked but I was told that this is not available. I was given a fan for my room which helped slightly but was a bit noisy.
Everything else about the hotel is fine, with the breakfast covering Chinese and western tastes, with my only slight complaint being the omelette station being hard to get service at and normally resulting in a ten minute wait due to him constantly making fried eggs and not having time to switch to anything else.
Overall I will not stay in the New Century again, as it is 35mins travel to the factory that we visit and really not worth the trip.

• Stayed July 2013
Cranford, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights on business and was impressed by this place as a hotel. I was NOT impressed by the restaurants, but this is a hotel review so I digress. The rooms were very clean and cozy, the bathroom nice, and a pretty stunning view of the green mountains and temples in the distance. My shower was sloped wrongly, so the water pooled and leaked on to the floor a little, which is my one main complaint. Health facilities were impressive for a hotel.

The thing that struck me as odd about this hotel were the No Smoking signs EVERYWHERE in the hotel, and Chinese men smoking EVERYWHERE in the hotel. I mean, elevators, lobby, restaurants, everywhere. So if you're allergic to smoke, be prepared for this and be sure to request a non-smoking floor which still has ash trays everywhere but seemed, at least to me, to be void of stink. It seems like this is the norm in this area of China, though, so I'm not sure you'll find a real non-smoking hotel around.

I would recommend eating elsewhere for all meals aside from breakfast though. That was decent.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Hong Kong
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Though I frequently travel in China (at least once a month), I've always stayed at foreign branded hotels - trusting in the quality of service etc...Had a conference here in Hangzhou which was organised in this hotel. Expecting less, when I arrived, the interior fittings were of or better than most 4 star internationally branded hotels. The rooms - definitely above or the same as those of international brands. However, although the in hotel restaurants were more catered for domestic tourists, it wasn't bad at all. Service, certainly wouldn't be of high end international hotel standards but still, I would say that they try. Give it another year or two, and I am sure it would be on par with the rest of them.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Cumberland, Rhode Island
Reviewed 9 May 2013

All in all this is a very nice property. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable and quiet. The restuarants are clean and the food tasty with enough items in the breakfast buffet to suit a Western palate.

The only complaint I would have would be regarding the gym facilities. The facilities are adequate and in good working order. However they are located with quite far away from any staff and not within sightlines of staff as well. I was in the gym alone and felt a bit vulnerable when a gentleman arrived wearing street clothes and walked around the facility for 15 minutes while I was there. Maybe I was just being a bit paranoid as a woman alone in a foreign country with little language skills can be...but I did not visit the gym my second day becasue of this.

Also, beverage are not complimentary in the gym including bottled (warm) water although complimentary water is available in your room. I purchased a bottle fro 20RMB, but had to walk to other side of the hotel to charge it to my room. Very strange.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Trust me: Do whatever you can for the high floor/upgrade. I was upgraded to the executive level floors. I had a marble staircase to my floor, which blew my mind. It was a more luxurious experience than my visits to the Pallazzo in Vegas. Free wifi, enormous bathroom.

The view at night and in the morning from the room was incredible - lush, green surroundings with a snaking jogging path below. Mountains in the distance. For dinner, head next door to the hot pot restaurant - my best meal while in China. Authentic and cheap.

PRO's:
-Good service
-Substantially Upgraded without even asking. Made me feel like I was a president or something.
-OUTSTANDING view.
-Comfortable bed.
-Free wifi (now, about Facebook and Twitter access...hmm)
-Great running route right outside (avoid the gym; just go outside)

CON's:
- Alright breakfast. Didn't make my heart flutter, but it was continental and provided all the options. Quality wasn't be best (stale bread, etc.)

Room Tip: Do whatever you can (specifically, ask at the front desk) to get the executive floor and the dazzlin...