“Wow. Amazing Service and a Fabulous Hotel.”

Banyan Tree Hangzhou
Ranked #44 of 2,403 Hotels in Hangzhou
Encino
“Wow. Amazing Service and a Fabulous Hotel.”
Reviewed 13 April 2011

My wife and I stayed here in between sight seeing in Shanghai and Beijing. We were not sure if we should stay at the Banyan Tree, Four Seasons or Aman and we finally decided on the Banyan Tree because of its Romance Package. We are thrilled with our decision. The Banyan Tree is located in the wetlands away from the crowds of West Lake and not as isolated as Aman which is near the popular temple. The grounds at the Banyan Tree are breathtaking and impeccable. Both the suites and the villas are incredibly spacious and lavish. My wife and I both received several spa treatments which were world class. The spa facility is state of the art. Pom is an elite masseuse. The breakfast buffet is good but very Asian-centric. What truly distinguishes the Banyan Tree, however, is the service. It starts at the top with Desmond and runs all the way through to housekeeping and the spa. Every detail is handled and the staff is focused on making the quality of your stay fantastic. My wife is a travel agent and she is a Banyon Tree believer. Following this experience, she will enthusiastically recommend the Banyon Tree Hangzhou to all of her clients.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EncinoJason

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Great property with all the necessities of an enjoyable vacation coupled with impeccable service.

Room Tip: Talk to hotel directly
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2011

As you would expect from a Banyan Tree property the reception and concierge staff excel in their approach. Friendly without being intrusive and yet very service orientated. No request being too difficult. We took our mountain bikes and they happily stored them without any fuss. This hotel is located on the edge of the wetlands, a peaceful nature reserve, ideal for cycling around. The tour provided by the hotel was excellent. The well designed rooms are enormous, each with a water view in very tranquil settings. All rooms can easily accommodate a family of 3 people with the villas suitable for extended families. The amenities provided by the hotel included a toiletries bag and slippers in the signature banyan tree design. The restaurant staff speak English but were very helpful as we tried out our Mandarin, suggesting the correct way and pronunciation! The Chinese restaurant was excellent and the international food was ok - not quite the 5 star standard I expected. However, the Spa is amazing. Well trained therapists from both Thailand and China giving the Banyan tree experience. Definitely worth visiting.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Passionflower200050
london
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Booked and paid for a 90min treatment ( not cheap) which actually only took 60 min, they tried to argue that walking to and from the treatment room, getting changed before and after, drinking tea etc was all part of the 90 mins. Had to argue a discount. Won't be going there again in a hurry.

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank tigersLondon
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Hangzhou, responded to this review, 10 January 2011
Dear tigersLondon

Thank you very much for sharing your valuable feedback regarding your recent visit to the Spa at Banyan Tree Hangzhou.

Please allow me, first and foremost, to extend our apologies for the disappointment you have experienced during your spa treatment with the assurance that we continuously strive to improve our service based on feedback such as yours. It is indeed disheartening to know our service was not up to your expectations. These shortcomings have been raised to our Spa Manager’s attention for improvement and training.

Once again, my apologies for the lapse in service and I certainly do hope that despite these inconveniences, you had a relaxing stay in Hangzhou.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Hangzhou and allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable Banyan Tree experience.

Kind Regards,

Desmond Tan

Area General Manager
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 26 December 2010

My husband and I just took advantage of the Romance package available at the Banyan Tree Hangzhou. I had read all of the reviews before going, so I was not sure what to expect, but I have to say that overall I was extremely impressed with the resort and its outstanding hospitality.

When we arrived, we got immediately upgraded from our Premier Water Terrace room to a 2-bedroom villa with outdoor spa jet pool. The hotel was a bit quieter that week as we went on an off-season, but it was still an extremely generous gesture. With this upgrade, we had the choice of in villa dining or in villa massage, but we opted to use the regular facilities anyway.

The outdoor bath is amazing. It's perfectly designed and I really felt like it was bathing in an outdoor hot springs, which I am a big fan of. The temperature was perfect.

However, the villa itself was really outstanding. The rooms, bathrooms and interior decoration were beautiful, and we really felt we were in another world. There is a nice terrace facing the wetlands, and the room technology and wifi internet was top notch with no glitches. I also appreciated the heavy double paned windows and floor heating which kept the room very warm and insulated - sometimes a detail overlooked in China. To reference the past reviews, I did notice a slight smell from one of the bathrooms, which might have been the way the construction of the sewage pipes were done, and some of the floor tiles showed some water stains, both of which are common problems in China. However, these were small details and overall everything was quite luxurious and clean. Bathroom amenities were high quality and generous, free bottled water in the rooms were plentiful, and the showers were awesome, complete with steam function.

The beds are extremely comfortable with top quality linens and a very nice turndown service. However, as another review mentioned, there were a few mosquitos at night which I think is just hard to control in the wetlands. A little insect repellant at night kept me sleeping undisturbed.

The spa massage included in the package was amazing. The masseuses are extremely well trained and knowledgable. The experience was luxurious and pampering, and the bath and pool facilities were also great. The gym is quite well fitted out with quality equipment, and we also took advantage of the yoga room which was a nice touch.

Because it was my husband's birthday, the staff was so generous as to send a big cake to our room. We had not informed them of any special occassion beforehand, but they still were prepared to offer this sweet gesture when they had seen my husband's birthday on his passport.

We received English newspapers, and I felt overall the food was quite good. We definitely ate well while we were there. In two short nights it felt like we knew all the staff, and the general manager was always present, making sure no detail was overlooked.

Yes, the resort and facilities and really beautiful and top-notch. However, I was even more impressed by the warm and hospitable service, and the efforts of the entire staff to make our stay as pleasant as it could be. Can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mirabellalee
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Nice rooms, facilities, but a little dated. We did the romance package. Largely well executed, except the food at the restaurant was aweful. Construction surrounding the hotel takes away from the setting a bit. Hotel is also quite far away from the town and lake. Service is very good overall, but missed a few beats (vs. other hotels of this caliber). Some misses due to language barrier, others not, but most were minor. For instance, there were always maintenatce people with their tools strewn about in the hall way all day. Morning paper delivery was a Chinese paper instead of an English paper (which they had available). Concierge not super helpful because they don't have local menus, etc to help you get an idea of restaurant recommendations. I don't have major gripes except the food - just a bunch of minor things that made this hotel just average for a 5 star. Would probably try the Aman if I went back again. Or even better, the Four Seasons that is opening in October and has a better location.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Hangzhou, responded to this review, 29 September 2010
Dear JManly,

We would like to thank you for staying with us at Banyan Tree Hangzhou and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

The construction by other resorts in the vicinity is scheduled to be completed by the 1st quarter of 2011. We will coordinate closely with the construction teams to reduce the noise and impact to our guests.

Banyan Tree Hangzhou is located in the Xixi National Wetland, which is in the west part of Hangzhou city. It is around 20 minutes drive-way from downtown. These 20 minutes entitle you a priceless tranquility away from the city’s hustle and bustle.

Paying extra attention to details differ us from other five star hotels in this industry. I am very sorry that we failed in this occasion. We will arrange specific training to ensure that all our associates are capable of delivering services at the Banyan Tree brand standards.

We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you back and witness our improvement at Banyan Tree Hangzhou.

Yours sincerely,

Desmond Tan
Area General manager
Banyan tree Hangzhou
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 26 August 2010

This hotel is a bit isolated -off the main Hangzhou city centre and the huge Sheraton construction coming up next door is a bit of a spoiler. But once inside, this place is an oasis of calm. Lovely arches over placid waters, a cool and inviting lobby area (with cool towels on welcome-sorely needed in the August heat!), immediately you kind of leave the outside world behind. And the rooms are just plain gorgeous. They are HUGE! by far,the largest hotel room i've stayed in in a long long time with a balcony overlooking the water and gardens, a sitting room with lovely lights, a dining area, sleeping room and the most magnificent stately open bathroom. The bathroom is decadent, with the works available in terms of toiletries, an open bathtub , shower/sauna area and huge mirrors. By far, my most favourite place! I was here for a conference and really regretted that i didnt have more time to lounge around the room. I heard great reviews of the spa although I didnt have time to use it.
This is a great hotel for a quiet spa weekend, or just a romantic getaway. The sunset over the hotel waters and arches was truly memorable. One of the most charming places I've stayed at.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business