Amanfayun
US$132
US$527
US$488
Agoda.com
All reviewsold villagetea houselingyin templeaman resortswestern restaurantbamboo massagevillage roomluxury resortvillage experiencenon hotel guestsheated floorsunesco world heritagelistening to the birdstraditional chinesebamboo forestcultural eventsdaily activities
Reviewed 7 July 2014

If you are not planning a trip to Hangzhou, think again. This is one hotel that is worth the detour from Shanghai. It is a village that has been taken over by Aman. Each unit is its own house in the village. The restaurants are their own structures as well. The hotel is near many of the key sights in Hangzhou. The food is excellent, service impeccable. This ranks as one of the best and most interesting hotel experiences I ever had.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Antionio10
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Everything is fine, besides 10-20 worm (millipede) on our bed.
Hotel changed another room for us in the evening 9:30pm.
It's lucky we haven't got on the bed yet.
Esther from Taiwan

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Estherhsiehale
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Everything was perfect, especially the service, which is always top notch at Aman Properties.
Staying here made feel like I was living in an old ancient Chinese village hundreds of years ago.
The property itself is quiet and secluded and the rock grotto sculptures just outside the property are simply magnificent! I loved that I could walk right out of my villa and follow the temple trail to beautiful temples and shrines.

The spa was one of the best I've ever been to. The restaurants were all wonderful, except for The Vegetarian House, which had the most amazing food art I've ever seen, but was a bit too bland for my taste (and I am vegetarian).

TIP: I was here in July and it was scorching and very crowded just a few minutes outside of the property. Consider visiting when it's not so hot!

For my personal photos of this property and more on Hangzhou, please visit my travel blog here:

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Misha G
Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you are looking for marble and opulence, go elsewhere. Many fine resorts will meet your needs.

If you prefer peacefulness, and a connection with the past, and you are willing to open your mind, you risk being enchanted with your stay at Amanfayun. While wandering through the property, don't be surprised to hear a caged bird greet you in Mandarin. If you cross the river through less traveled paths and take a short climb, you'll be rewarded by your own discovery of giant, carved Buddhas adorning the granite hillside. With the gongs from the nearby Temple at dawn, this surprise was simply magical.

I dined on the property for several meals, and the food was fine. The staff will guide you if you prefer restaurant staff who speak English, though the more rustic Steam Room staff still managed to cross the language chasm to assure a fine experience.

I was fortunate to be upgraded to a Villa, with a courtyard overlooking the river, and a patio stretching towards the hillside planted with tea plants.

I was in China for two weeks after this, and I had wished that I had stayed here last, rather than first, so that I could have returned home with this remarkable peaceful experience fresh in my mind.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank DocAnn
Reviewed 15 March 2014

If you have had the good fortune of staying at other Amans, you will be deeply disappointed at this property which appears for local consumption as much as those who have higher expectations.

The location is nice and it's great to be able to walk right to the temples.

The rooms are somewhere between strange and just badly designed. The lighting is horrible and the bathroom is extremely strange -- it's just a corner of the room with no doors.

Service was fair as was the meals. Spa was nice and we liked our guide.

But again this absolutely is not at the level of a typical Aman so if those are your expectations you will be deeply disappointed.

Room Tip: just don't go here. They are apparently working on the villas so maybe someday the rooms will be better.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple