“Excellence in Hangzhou!!”

Ranked #2 of 2,391 Hotels in Hangzhou
La Jolla, CA
“Excellence in Hangzhou!!”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Well, Four Seasons surely gets an award for the right manager in Peter Draminsky at the Four Seasons Hotel in Hangzhou at West Lake! Before making our reservation, I was particularly impressed that he personally responded to all the comments listed in Trip Advisor. Our family visited over the Christmas holidays and we were there for both my husband and daughter's birthdays in late December. We received such a warm and inviting welcome from the staff upon our arrival and Peter personally greeted us as well. We wanted to see the Lingyin Buddhist Temple the afternoon of our arrival and it was clear that we might miss the opportunity so the hotel swiftly organized a driver to drop us off so we could fit in a tour before the temple closed for the evening. The temple and grounds were well worth the effort. We dined at both the restaurants at the hotel and I must say, the piece de resistance was after a fantastic Chinese dinner in the furtherest restaurant from our room, my feet were suffering from "new shoe syndrome" and as I was walking back to our room in my stocking feet, I was intercepted by the concierge desk and presented with a new pair of slippers! Nice touch! I 'm not sure if the restaurant called to alert them that I was walking, essentially barefoot, or they just keep a stash of slippers on hand. In addition to the fantastic massage in their beautifully appointed spa facility ( our daughter received a 90 minute facial along side me), we rode the hotel bicycles around the lake. On my husband's birthday, the hotel delivered a chilled bottle of champagne to the room along with the most amazing petit pastries presented in Four Seasons fashion. We checked out on my daughter's 24th birthday and, before we could get into the car, Peter presented her with a box of incredible truffles. It was like arm wrestling to get a piece but all my chocolate cravings were rewarded. All in all, it was a wonderful experience and the personal touches Peter added made us feel like very treasured guests, especially since we were a world away from our California home.

Room Tip: We were able to get two adjoining rooms so our family could be together. They were located a fair d...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
PeterDraminsky, General Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Caroline,

Thank you indeed for taking the time and trouble to write such a wonderful review following your visit to Four Seasons Hotel Hangzhou at West Lake. You are far too generous - whatever success we manage to achieve has very little to do with me, and everything to do with the efforts of our people. All of us at Four Seasons would agree that our least senior employees (in terms of formal position) often have the greatest impact on the experience and enjoyment of our guests.

I am absolutely delighted to read that you were so pleased with your celebration stay, and I will of course take great pleasure in sharing your comments with the staff, who will be much encouraged by your kind words.

Thank you again for taking the trouble to write here on TripAdvisor; we much appreciate it. I hope that we'll have to chance to welcome you back to Hangzhou before long!

Peter Draminsky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Pretty grounds that blend in nicely with West Lake. The hotel itself has a business feel. We were there during a heat wave, so were not able to take advantage of all the outdoor dining/drinking options. Be warned: bottled water is very expensive at the restaurants (+$40!)

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
PeterDraminsky, General Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear travelJaclyn,

Many thanks for your positive feedback on tripadvisor.com

We are delighted to hear that you liked the physical aspects of our hotel and we are glad to know that you also appreciated the design of the hotel blending in well with West Lake.

For your mineral water I would certainly like to know more, since we serve complimentary distilled water in our outlets and usually charge USD 9,- for imported Italian and French water. Please feel free to contact me at generalmanager.han@fourseasons.com,

Also don't hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of any assistance. I would be delighted to arrange any future visit to Four Seasons Hotel Hangzhou or any other Four Seasons Hotels.

Peter C. Draminsky
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Four Seasons is always my first choice when going on business trip in Hangzhou. It is conveniently located next to the west lake but the set up makes the hotel very secluded. It has only two floors and a big garden, making it much less "business like". It is by far my favorite Four Seasons hotel in China, given its unique layout, attention to details (great gym and pool, well designed rooms and amenities, and even down to the nice coffee/tea selection and shampoo/conditioner sets in the room). The spa rooms are designed as individual pavilions floating on water in the basement of the 2-storey building, completing the "Chinese Garden" Theme. The building is beautiful with a unified theme and the service is very attentive. I look forward to staying at the Four Seasons Hanghzou again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Eva Y
PeterDraminsky, General Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Eva Y

Thank you for having taken the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at The Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake with the tripadvisor.com community.

You emphasized in your review the unique layout and attention to details; many thanks! We are also particularly happy to know that our product and attentive service appealed to you.

We would love to welcome you back soon again. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I may assist with any future reservation at Four Seasons or any other Four Seasons Hotels.

Australia
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I have not yet checked out of this hotel but have seen enough to know that this is an excellent hotel. Its premises and decor are stylish and elegant, its service level is very high, its restaurants are good quality.

Thank you so much.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
PeterDraminsky, General Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear ashfield_gp

Many thanks for your feedback on tripadvisor.com

We much appreciate your positive comments – especially the notes about service level being very high.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me in the future again if I can be of any assistance. I would be delighted to welcome you personally during a return visit.

West Linn, Oregon
Reviewed 15 December 2013

was part of a 4 city dog and pony show that was a once in a life time experience. attending countless conferences at destination resorts this one counted. after 3 days of exceptional breakfast buffets, i discovered 2 more rooms i clean missed. the excursions followed personal schedules and though it was my first trip to China, this was an enchanting part of a learning trip that gave more than could be expected.

Room Tip: gat a suite.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
PeterDraminsky, General Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear edmund c

Thank you for your kind note in regards to your visit here with us at Four Seasons Hotel Hangzhou at West Lake. I especially appreciate your positive words about our breakfast buffet since we have just completed a new layout and upgrade to cater for both local and foreign guests. I will be delighted to pass your kind words to the team. Do let me know if I can be of any assistance during your next stay here in Hangzhou!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at The Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake for our kids-free holiday. I celebrated my birthday at the hotel and I had a most memorable one! The staff made sure my birthday celebration was perfect from fulfilling my room request, to the special Chinese birthday buns at the Jin Sha Restaurant, to helping my husband to arrange a birthday cake and the surprise of walking into a beautifully candle lit room after the dinner!
The hotel is set in such a beautiful ground that we fell in love with it straight away! The gardens are so beautiful. The location is perfect too with a short walk to the main part of West Lake. It is also close to Long Jing Tea plantation and Ling Yin Temple by car.
The Chinese Restaurant Jin Sha is our favourite restaurant in Hangzhou. Very fine food matched with very fine service.
We hope to take our kids next time to The Four Seasons Hangzhou for a family holiday!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
PeterDraminsky, General Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear traveltann

Thank you so much for your kind review ; We are obviously delighted to know that we exceeded your expectations during your last stay. We are particularly pleased to know that your birthday "get-away' celebrations was memorable and perfect. We are very blessed to work with such an experienced team who always try to make the special occasions stand out. Rest assured I will personally thank the team in Jin Sha for all their fantastic work. Thank you again for sharing and do let us know if we can ever assist with any future visits (maybe with the kids this time?) here at the West Lake or any other Four Seasons.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed at the Four Seasons Hangzhou this past weekend and I had an amazing experience. When we first arrived, we were greeted by the friendly staff and was taken to the room by one of the staff member. We were surprised by the amazing view the hotel had despite the weekend pollution/smog as it still had some unique scenes in Hangzhou.

When we asked where the best restaurant to experience, they recommended their restaurant, Jin Sha. At first we thought every hotel would recommend their own restaurant, however after browsing Dianping (Yelp of China), it had really good reviews so we decided to give it a try. I must say it is definitely a must try! Highly recommended.

We were able to rent bicycles for free to ride around the West Lake which was a good experience as well.

The only disappointment was the room service - late night dining and breakfast as there weren't that many good selections to choose from coming from a five star hotel.

Overall, we would definitely come back again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Ian L

Many thanks for your positive feedback here on tripadvisor.

We are delighted to hear that you liked the friendly staff and the amazing views from the hotel as well as your recommendation of our Chinese restaurant, Jin Sha. It will be my pleasure to share your kind words.

Thank you for also letting us know about your In-room Dining experience. We will definately look into this, and review where we can improve on the menu selections.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of any assistance. I would be delighted to arrange any future weekend visits to the Fours Seasons Hotel Hangzhou at West Lake or any other Four Seasons.