“Entertaining and instructive”

Zhejiang Natural Museum
Ranked #77 of 372 things to do in Hangzhou
Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

I brought my 6 years old son and my wife. My son has a deep knowledge of animals and plants, especially about dinosaurs as we watch often documentaries on TV, read books and even play games. I wanted him to have a better understanding of the size of the animals and appreciating the varieties of flora and fauna inhabitating our planet from the prehistoric age to current times. It was a fantastic experience and he enjoyed a lot. Going around the museum two times and we walked a total of 3.8km. my feet were painful but my heart full of joy in seeing the excitement in my son's eyes.

Reviewed 13 December 2017

I visited the museum for less than 2 hours. The museum is very dusty I can I felt it; The dust is most probably caused by the renovation that is in-progress. I would recommend visiting this museum as it is FOC and there are nice exhibits.

There is a dinosaur section which I find extremely interesting as there are 2 - 3 exhibition halls filled with full bodied skeletons of dinosaurs from the land and sea. There is also an exhibit on how the dinosaur becomes extinct and how the earth evolved.

The exhibition that shocked me most is on the theme of sex education. Jars of semi-form embryos are on display. There is a dried male and female body as well as a male and female body that is preserved in a glass coffee. I think there are less frightening way to display the male and female genitals. I would suggest that the museum post some type of warning signs at the exhibit entrance.

Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Not much English, not even Latin names for dinosaurs, not many exhibits, mostly aimed at children. Nonetheless a pleasant place for a short visit.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

... plenty to see inside this Museum, all nicely laid out along a prescribed route. the kids will love the dinosaur bits! Nothing compared to its counterpart in New York, but also not a bad place to spend a couple of hours. Crowds can be overwhelming on weekends and (especially) holidays!

See more reviews
Reviewed 31 October 2015

This should be titled "Natural History Museum" and not "Natural Museum." China has opened a number of provincial-level natural history museums in the last few years. This is one of them. It has several good dinosaur skeletons like the giant sauropod Omeisaurus, some dinosaur eggs, a nice Mammoth skeleton, a number of Paleozoic fossils like Trilobites and Cephalopods, but mostly a number of dioramas of ancient and modern animal life, most of them life-size. The ancient humanoids are a bit hokey and the Great White Shark looks like he swallowed a cardboard box, but if you have children, they should be impressed with the dioramas. The Provincial History Museum is also next door and is well worth a visit.

1  Thank Gary T