All reviewseast winghorizon clubwest lakeclassic hotelbit datedhealth clubchinasuwestlakelakesidetaxismandarin
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I loved this hotel. We recieved fresh fruit in our room daily. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Loved how close we were to West Lake. When my hubby was off to work I walked around the lake and went to a temple near the hotel. We had dinner at the italian restaurant there on the property and it was nice.We also had breakfast at the hotel and they had a large variety to choose from the buffet. Overall we had a very nice stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
杭州香格里拉饭店, 总经理 at Shangri La Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time in sharing your kind feedback with us. We are delighted to hear that you have taken the opportunity to stay in our hotel and had a very memorable experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel Hangzhou soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

My third time here in recent years. Rarely do I have severe criticism for Shangri-La but this needs serious attention to stay in business, in my view. My suggestions for areas that absolutely need attention:

-Warmth of welcome at ground floor reception level and helpfulness of porters was poor (no smiles, or special efforts to help almost reluctance).

-No escorting to room from Horizon Level check in, just point and go.

-No delivery of newspapers, indeed some not until afternoon.

-Turndown is done at same time as bed making – I really don’t want to see my bed turned down at 11.30am! Why cannot turndown be done later and the room refreshed in early evening as is normal?

-The rooms and bathrooms are very outdated (but in part this is part of the ‘charm’); but the place does not help itself as hotel information is poorly displayed; no special touches.

-No characteristic Shangri-La fragrance (presumably due to lack of air circulation system) so the hotel smells and has a decidedly musty air.

-Total lack of engagement of staff with client outside the confines of the Horizon Club (at one point I thought I must have become invisible) and within the Horizon Club minimal interaction and attention (one has to ask for everything).

- I tried to make a reservation at the Shang for lunch but was told I would still need to be there for 12 midday as a table could not be guaranteed – so it seems a reservation could not be made. This is astonishing. I went at 12 it was not busy.

-The restaurant service was mediocre - many staff standing around but no one giving service. Our order was taken wrongly so we corrected, drinks took ages to arrive.

The only thing that is undeniably good is the location and view – for an out of city centre location this is nice. The product even in it’s well worn state could be better if there was a buzz in the staff.

Clearly things need to change before I will come back and I assume business is destined to decline. Regrettably I can't recommend to stay here.

The new Shangri La in the city opens in 2015.

Room Tip: East Wing lake view is best if you dare to stay!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank TechnoProf

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for choosing the Shangr i-La Hotel Hangzhou, and for sharing with us your experience. I am truly sorry that your stay did not meet our usual high standards. Your constructive comments have been discussed with the team and appropriate actions have been taken to remedy to this kind of situation in future. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again should your travels bring you back to Hangzhou.
Yours truly,

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Adjacent to the picturesque West Lake, what more you can ask?

This is an established hotel for years. The facilities and amenities are not chic, yet the location is superb to get access and enjoy the West Lake scenic environment. If you are on the executive floor, be sure to visit the executive lounge to get a panoramic view of West Lake!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Reviewed 4 September 2013

The building that sits on the premise was built to accommodate Mao but he never came. Then the building was taken over and managed by Shangri-La as its first ever hotel in mainland China. Having said that, this hotel's charm is also its own worst enemy.

Let's check the positive things about this hotel:
* The location is right next to the West Lake with bike rentals,boat rentals, and small shops nearby. This is also the not-so-crowded-and-chaotic part of the West Lake.
* Staff were attentive and accommodating to your needs.
* While taste is so-so, breakfast service was quite elaborate. You have plenty of choices.
* Rooms are big and spacious
* Overall, the hotel is kept clean

Now, let's get analyze what the hotel can improve:
* This hotel is really showing its age. It seriously needs a major renovation. Though grand, the feeling that I (and my friends) had upon entering the premise was as if we were taken back to the 70's or the 80's. Ceiling was low, lighting is dark, dark wood panels, grandma style wall paper, etc.The exterior of this hotel also does not scream the modern and luxurious image Shangri-La brand strives for
* Inconsistent service. I came with my friends and we booked multiple rooms. Some rooms received welcome fruit basket, some rooms received newspapers, some rooms didn't get anything at all.
* Swimming pool is indoor. Why would you have indoor swimming pool when you have nice big garden outside? Plus, Hangzhou is so nice and beautiful
*The rooms that are facing the west lake do face the west lake. unfortunately, the trees are so big and tall it covered the view towards the lake.

All in all, this hotel is just a so-so. Too bad the famous shangri-la service is not supported by the hardware. Would I come back again and stay? Depends. only if the price is cheaper and the hotel is refurbished

Room Tip: ask for room on the top floor and on the west wing. otherwise you won't get the lake view that you pay for.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank NLY39739

Dear Guest

We will certainly share this review with all colleagues concerned and look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel Hangzhou soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed here for one night as part of a business visit to China. It was perfectly good for business and additionally was the only hotel in China I would have liked to stay at on my own money and in my own time. It came across as an elegant rather old fashioned hotel with courteous staff. I was upgraded from the most basic room to one with a mountain view which had a balcony. The room was huge and the bed the biggest I have ever slept on - easily nine foot across (two double beds but with one mattress). The bathroom was adequate, but not big. Breakfasts were in a glass fronted room down in the garden via a covered walkway. The breakfasts had a very western presentation with everything from pastries, pancakes, eggs, bacon, toast etc that a western guest would expect plus delicious fruit and no doubt traditional chinese breakfast. I felt very comfortable with the ambiance and the service in the restaurant - the team cleared quickly but didn't rush you. They came round with coffee refills. I liked that you could walk out round the lake and that there were Chinese families amongst the guests (at least on the Saturday I left). Only disappointment was that the spa wasn't open in the mornings. The hotel was quite spread out over two main buildings.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business