“Good Location and comfortable”

Shangri La Hotel Hangzhou
Ranked #27 of 2,386 Hotels in Hangzhou
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
“Good Location and comfortable”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Shangri la is located bang on west lake, just cross the lake and you can walk along the lake. good hotel, nice food, you get lot of options no matter what type of food you eat. rooms are comfortable and lot of famous restaurants are nearby.

Room Tip: try to negotiate for a lake facing room, although you have to pay extra
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

no complaints whatsoever regards this hotel, rooms were super, bar area sound and even tried out the swimming pool. if going to Hangzhou, you wont go far wrong using this hotel. the location of the hotel is right on the west lake.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We were very disappointed with this Shangri-la hotel. It does not have the look nor the feel of a Shangri-la Hotel. It was below and indeed a sub-standard Shangri-la!

Starting with our arrival, which was early morning around 1 a.m., there was no one to help with the luggage. The room looked old. In fact I believe there has been no change since my last stay in 2006. The coffee house, where we had our breakfast, was cramped. The spread was ordinary although the service staff was good. They were attentive and helpful but you need to know the language, otherwise it can be frustrating. The lunch buffet spread was alright. But being in China we were wary of the meats served.

The toiletries in our room were lacking. It was basic and did not have shavers or emery board nor did they offer complimentary shoeshine. If they did, it was not made known to us. The toiletries were also not replenished daily as some days the shampoo, conditioner, body lotion were not refreshed. Even if they were unable or unwilling to provide new containers, they should top-up the shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. The same goes with the dental set. The bedroom slippers were not packed and we had no way of knowing if those provided were new or recycled. No newspapers were provided. Being a 5 star hotel and more so, a Shangri-la, it was disappointing to say the least.

As we stayed there for a week, we expect, they should appreciate our custom!

Room Tip: Choose the East Wing facing the West Lake.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank rhclim
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel has probably been cashing in on its lake front location for years but it's a stretch to call this a 5 star hotel, well not in the modern sense. The hotel is tired and out of date, it's like visiting a childhood memory and realising it was better in concept than actuality.
The rooms are filled with dated furniture (think chunky fake wooden pieces), the bathroom has medium-sized thin towels, ugly pre-packaged toiletries and room decor sports a boring beige colour scheme. The old 80s dial-up internet cord still hangs from the wall.
Breakfast is decent but to get to the venue you must walk 200m down an ugly Perspex covered alley way made of unsightly orange bricks. There's a few lonely fish tanks along the way which adds no atmosphere rather it makes the trek for food seem even more sad.
Aside from appearances, there seems to be no consistency to the service. From my bedroom, I could hear cleaning attendants speaking extremely loud during morning duties. As I approached the hotel after a morning jog around the lake, back staff were obviously hanging out socialising in a back area. They were speaking so loud it was like walking into an end of year party.
If I return to hangzhou again, I will definitely seek another option.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank melbournetraveller20
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We have been to Hangzhou several times in recent years, and this was the first time we stayed in Shangri-La. The hotel was known as Hangzhou Hotel when my parents stayed there some 30 years ago. The old-style hotel is a bit dated, but it is grand and very different from the modern high-rise hotels in the city area. Our room on the third floor was big and with a balcony facing the West Lake (though the view was not that great because trees were blocking the view). The international buffet breakfast was excellent in terms of choices (Western, Chinese and local specialities) and taste. The main advantage of staying in Shangri-La is its proximity to the West Lake. Leaving the hotel and crossing the road, you reach the West Lake. We stayed there for two nights, We got up early in the morning and strolled along the Su Causeway and Bai Causeway for several hours. Early April is a very good time to visit the West Lake as peach blossoms are in full bloom. There are many places in the lake area where you can hire a boat (RMB150 or USD25 per hour), which accommodates 4 or even 6 persons. We hired one for a two-hour ride from the Xiling Bridge area (near the hotel) to the Hua Gang (Flower Harbour) area, with a 20-minute stop at the Xiao Ying Zhou Isle. Several tourist attraction spots such as 'Autumn Moon Over the Calm Lake', 'Lotus Breeze in Winding Courtyard', 'General Yue Fei Temple', Lou Wai Lou (Pavilion beyond Pavilion) Restaurant, and venue for the 'West Lake Impression' show are all within walking distance from the hotel. If you want to enjoy the West Lake at your own pace, Shangri-La is a good choice. We really enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suathong
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 8 April 2014

we came to have a buffet lunch at this hotel as we came for a rest from shanghai, when we came to have lunch 11:00, we had to wait 45 minutes outside as it was 'not ready' even though everything looked ready and had been set out, when we finally got in and went for our food it was horrible, you have mostly native hangzhou cuisine like toad and fish but you have almost nothing else. it was a horrible experience and i am 100% sure that i will never come to eat here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kirkwoodnicolas
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here, I had been staying at another hotel in Hangzhou and really wasnt happy, I looked on Trip Advisor and this came up as an option and at a price to slightly cheaper than the hotel I was currently staying at. So I booked a room quickly and then took a cab over to the hotel. I arrived hours before a normal check in time, they assigned me a room quickly and upgraded us from the cheapest room I could book, I would've been satisfied with a mountain view room to an executive suite with water view. I figured I would have to wait a few hours to get a room but they moved me right in, and brought in all the luggage for myself and my boyfriend who was at work. The room was spectacular, and clean and well stocked with towels and such. The area where this hotel is, is out of this world beautiful, in my opinion the best part of the Lake, it is quite but has access to lots of activities, like walking on the Su causeway, or going out in a boat, or renting a bike to ride around and see the Pagoda's, Temples, and Museum all around West Lake. There is also a handy and beautiful Starbucks just a stones throw away from the hotel. The business office booked our train ticket back to Shanghai, and had the tickets delivered to the hotel. They also pre-booked our taxi to the train station as getting a taxi in Hangzhou can be very very difficult at times. When I review the earlier hotel I stayed at in Hangzhou I will discuss that this hotel, had me wait for 1.5 hrs in the lobby to get a taxi, but not the Shangri La. The staff at both the front desk, business office, and concierge were superb. The only downfall was the restaurant, we had dinner at the China Garden, the smell for the buffet is pretty bad, and we ordered a la carte but the server was very week, and brought out my meal 10 minutes before my boyfriends so we couldn't even eat our meal together, however after living in China for a few months this is a very normal thing, but doesn't mean it should continue. Loved this hotel, I will definitely stay here next time I go to West Lake. I have already sent 2 friends to stay here, and they also enjoyed their stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple