“Very good hotel”

Ranked #8 of 2,365 Hotels in Hangzhou
London, United Kingdom
“Very good hotel”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

A very modern and clean hotel that is very comfortable and is fitted with your own coffee machine and ipod/iphone dock. I love the details that the hotel take care of, including the little chinese tea pot and cups which offered us the opportunity to try the famous Xihu Longqing tea. The room is spacious and the bed is comfortable. The service is also good. I really look forward to going back to this hotel every time. A cab ride from Hangzhou train station costs around RMB30, and takes about 15-20 minutes depending on traffic. There was a cabbie who wanted to charge us RMB200. So, be careful. The only downside to this hotel is that it is a little far from the attractions (to me at least) and there is no nearby underground station, but the hotel is so nice, it makes up for this slight disadvantage.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KLWanderer
Pplufeng, General Manager at The East Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear KLWanderer,

Many thanks for posting your tripadvisor review.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your lovely comments.I will share all your positive comments with the team.

Safe travels and please do let us know should your travels bring you back to Hangzhou again. I would personally like to offer you my assistance for any future reservation set up.

Lu Feng

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 11 July 2014

May 2014 was my second time to stay at the East Hotel and I have to say that the service was as memorable as the first time. Pleasant staff and helpful until the late hours of night/ all very cheerful.
Our room/ the CEO room was outstanding and spacious. The bathroom design was fab and we loved the bathtub.
The free minibar is the icing on the cake!
One slight remark would be that the CEO room could do with some more lighting as it is still a little too dark in the room at night.
A second TV would be helpful either in the bathroom or the living room as just one in the bedroom for a room that size seems too sparing! Otherwise, well done for yet another wonderful stay East Hotel. Looking forward to staying with you again in the future!
By the way- the fragrance that lingers in the hotel is one to be remembered. Every soothing to the mind and soul!

Room Tip: I believe any room you choose will be most satisfying!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie M
Pplufeng, General Manager at The East Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Charlie M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review about your visit. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to provide the feedback about your stay with us.Also for your long time support. It was most helpful.

I was delighted to read that you were extremely satisfied and pleased with the services provided to you by our staff.Thank you for your comment in regards to the lights in our CEO room & TV as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The East Hotel when your travels bring you back in Hangzhou.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed in the hotel during the last week of June in Hangzhou. What attracted me was not only the glorious decorations but also the fantastic service! The staff at the front desk and Concierge were so friendly that I received more than expected. A special thanks to Xavier, the Chief Concierge. He used his knowledge to give us many useful advises which made us be so clear of each corner of the city. Strongly recommended. I will not hesitate to introduce the hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: In the afternoon it'll be a little difficult to find a cab. To call the staff using the mobile a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert T
Pplufeng, General Manager at The East Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Robert T,

It is wonderful to hear such helpful feedback,we much appreciate your positive comments. So glad you enjoyed your experience. Hotel will try every effort to make a better level of service quality. We sincerely look forward to your next stay with us.

Warm Regards,

General Manage
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I spent three nights at East Hotel Hangzhou, and had a great stay. Upon arrival, a very friendly and helpful intern, who spoke perfect English, accompanied me to my room and explained all the facilities. The room was spacious, clean and with everything you could ask for. The bed and pillow were very comfortable, the bathroom spacious and functional and the armchair was superb. The lights could be controlled from various spots around the room, and the Internet was fast and reliant. The minibar was complimentary and was refilled every day, with juice, soft drinks and beer. There was also a fancy coffee machine in the room, but no capsules. I did not quite get that – was I supposed to buy them myself? I left the “lid” open for housekeeping to see, but they just pushed it down. It was also a nice Chinese tea set in the room, with the famous Longjing tea and the mineral water that complements it. When I had used the tea, they did not refill that either.

The hotel is new, but already it is possible to see that things will soon begin to look “worn down”. The desk chair had stains; the nightstand was full of scratches etc. In a year or two, this hotel is going to look years older than it really is. A pity, really.

The receptionists and staff were all extremely helpful and friendly. They helped me book train tickets, and answered every question promptly. This was, for me, where the hotel really stood out. The location was not the best – but it was an easy taxi ride out to the West Lake etc. (RMB15). You could also rent a bike at the hotel for free, and get to the lake in about 20 minutes. I recommend taking a taxi, and rent a bike at the lake. The only problem with the hotel (and it turned out to be a major one) was that almost none of the taxi drivers knew where it was. Even when I presented them with the “business card” from the hotel, with a map, they refused to take me. One day I tried for almost an hour (and asked over 20 taxis), and found the whole thing very stressful. In the end I wrote down the address for Marriott Hotel in Chinese, which is 15 minutes’ walk away. That did the trick.

If you walk out from hotel and turn left, you will see a bakery (Casa Miel) almost immediately. After two minutes’, there is a gate on you left hand side. Walk through it, and you will find a convenience store on your right hand side. Right next to the gate (on the street), there is a great little Chinese steamed bun stand (RMB1,5). Write down the word for “meat”, if you prefer that to spinach.

I would definitely recommend the hotel to other travellers. I got an excellent price (RMB400), and the taxis not knowing where the hotel is, can only get better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank TheSuitcase
lucia z, General Manager at The East Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear TheSuitcase,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your recent stay at The East Hotel Hangzhou on tripadvisor.com

I am delighted to know that your stay was a pleasant one and that you recommend us to other.Sorry for the capsules and did not refill the tea. Hotel will try every effort to make a better level of service quality.

We hope to see you soon again and do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservations here at West Lake.

LuFeng
Deventer
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Hangzhou is a very big city. Please make sure the location you need or want to go to is close to the hotel, since travelling might take a long time.
The hotel is very nice. Cheap for value they offer and well kept.
Breakfast is not included, but if you are going to use it anyway, it's not expensive. You will be asked to pick from a menu and can take additionally from the buffet as well.
Certainly will be going back if my destination is close.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MenM B
lucia z, General Manager at The East Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear MenM B,

Many thanks for posting your tripadvisor review.

West Calder, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was a very nice hotel, much nicer than expected and I won't hesitate to stay again next time I'm in Hangzhou. The rooms were spacious, very well decorated and appointed, excellent in room facilities including free mini bar. Bathroom was huge, nice touches like electric screens and curtains. All in, I wished I'd had more time, excellent rates as well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Dyet92,

Thank you very much for your kind review and description of our hotel here on Tripadvisor. Great to hear that you had a nice stay and that our service team took well care of you. I will be more than happy to share your wonderful comments with everyone here. Do let me know if I can be of any assistance for a future return, and thank you again for sharing your experience.

Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 15 June 2014

From the moment you arrive, the service at this hotel is outstanding. The room facilities are of a very high standard with the most comfortable bed we slept in while travelling around China. A special mention to Xavier the concierge who helped us with all aspects of our stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Pplufeng, Public Relations Manager at The East Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Bradley D,