“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 2,333 Hotels in Hangzhou
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the weekend and as were booking two rooms I wanted a really nice hotel but didn't want to pay loads of money. Having read lots of previous reviews on The East, my fingers were tightly crossed as I walked into the hotel and our rooms. I really needn't have worried. The rooms were as described if not better, my husband and I had a deluxe king and it was fab. The kids (18 & 20 so a bit fussy) had the business twin and they loved it as the single beds were bigger than expected. The staff were all extremely helpful and very friendly, and really couldn't have done anymore to help. The food at breakfast was good and plentiful and very good value for money. The free tea coffee and mini bar was really appreciated. Would definitely be recommending this hotel to anybody thinking of visiting Hangzhou. Other people had made comments about not being able to get taxis we didn't have this problem and with the shuttle bus service to West Lake every morning it all made for a very enjoyable stay. Thank you The East Hotel.

Room Tip: The deluxe king comes with a bath, shower and two wash basins. The beds are really comfy
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CraftyDeb
Pplufeng, General Manager at The East Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear CraftyDeb,

Thank you so much for your generous review here on TripAdvisor, and all the kind things that you wrote about our hotel here in Hangzhou. As you can imagine, I was just delighted to read that you and your children were so happy with the Hotel, and that you were pleased with the service provided to you by our staff.

I will be delighted to share your comments with everyone here, who will be much encouraged to know that their hard work is so greatly appreciated. Thank you again for taking the trouble to write such a nice review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hangzhou when your travels bring you back in our direction.

Lu Feng

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

EAST HOTEL definitely deserves to be ranked No 1 of the 1895 hotels in Hangzhou on service alone. I was lucky enough to stay two nights last month, thanks to Tripadvisor. Whilst the hotel is ideal in every way (clean, quiet, good size rooms, large well planned bathrooms, all the amenities you could want, a calm and well run Reception, plus an excellent breakfast) the service is a knockout. Every staff member makes you feel welcomed and valued and the fabulous Xavier is a real star. The professionalism starts from the moment you walk in the door and the care and attention doesn't stop until you leave. Thank you to everyone and a special Hello to Xavier.
R. Kavanagh, Canberra Australia

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Robin K
Pplufeng, General Manager at The East Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Robin K,

Thank you very much for your kind review and description of our hotel here on Tripadvisor. Great to hear that you had a nice stay and that our service team took well care of you. I will be more than happy to share your wonderful comments with everyone here. Do let me know if I can be of any assistance for a future return, and thank you again for sharing your experience.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for one night and arrived very late as my plane was delayed. The hotel room was no less than brilliant and it is not often that I wished I could stay longer to enjoy it. Top quality finish and very nice layout with one of the nicest bathrooms I have seen in a hotel of this level. 5 stars and they do not even charge me for the beer I had from the mini bar which is a nice touch.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Sfd1975
Pplufeng, General Manager at The East Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Sfd1975,

It is wonderful to hear such helpful feedback,we much appreciate your positive comments. So glad you enjoyed your experience. Hotel will try every effort to make a better level of service quality. We sincerely look forward to your next stay with us.

Warm Regards,

General Manage
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

A very modern and clean hotel that is very comfortable and is fitted with your own coffee machine and ipod/iphone dock. I love the details that the hotel take care of, including the little chinese tea pot and cups which offered us the opportunity to try the famous Xihu Longqing tea. The room is spacious and the bed is comfortable. The service is also good. I really look forward to going back to this hotel every time. A cab ride from Hangzhou train station costs around RMB30, and takes about 15-20 minutes depending on traffic. There was a cabbie who wanted to charge us RMB200. So, be careful. The only downside to this hotel is that it is a little far from the attractions (to me at least) and there is no nearby underground station, but the hotel is so nice, it makes up for this slight disadvantage.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KLWanderer
Pplufeng, General Manager at The East Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear KLWanderer,

Many thanks for posting your tripadvisor review.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your lovely comments.I will share all your positive comments with the team.

Safe travels and please do let us know should your travels bring you back to Hangzhou again. I would personally like to offer you my assistance for any future reservation set up.

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

May 2014 was my second time to stay at the East Hotel and I have to say that the service was as memorable as the first time. Pleasant staff and helpful until the late hours of night/ all very cheerful.
Our room/ the CEO room was outstanding and spacious. The bathroom design was fab and we loved the bathtub.
The free minibar is the icing on the cake!
One slight remark would be that the CEO room could do with some more lighting as it is still a little too dark in the room at night.
A second TV would be helpful either in the bathroom or the living room as just one in the bedroom for a room that size seems too sparing! Otherwise, well done for yet another wonderful stay East Hotel. Looking forward to staying with you again in the future!
By the way- the fragrance that lingers in the hotel is one to be remembered. Every soothing to the mind and soul!

Room Tip: I believe any room you choose will be most satisfying!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Charlie M
Pplufeng, General Manager at The East Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Charlie M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review about your visit. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to provide the feedback about your stay with us.Also for your long time support. It was most helpful.

I was delighted to read that you were extremely satisfied and pleased with the services provided to you by our staff.Thank you for your comment in regards to the lights in our CEO room & TV as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The East Hotel when your travels bring you back in Hangzhou.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed in the hotel during the last week of June in Hangzhou. What attracted me was not only the glorious decorations but also the fantastic service! The staff at the front desk and Concierge were so friendly that I received more than expected. A special thanks to Xavier, the Chief Concierge. He used his knowledge to give us many useful advises which made us be so clear of each corner of the city. Strongly recommended. I will not hesitate to introduce the hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: In the afternoon it'll be a little difficult to find a cab. To call the staff using the mobile a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Robert T
Pplufeng, General Manager at The East Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Robert T,

Warm Regards,

General Manage
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I spent three nights at East Hotel Hangzhou, and had a great stay. Upon arrival, a very friendly and helpful intern, who spoke perfect English, accompanied me to my room and explained all the facilities. The room was spacious, clean and with everything you could ask for. The bed and pillow were very comfortable, the bathroom spacious and functional and the armchair was superb. The lights could be controlled from various spots around the room, and the Internet was fast and reliant. The minibar was complimentary and was refilled every day, with juice, soft drinks and beer. There was also a fancy coffee machine in the room, but no capsules. I did not quite get that – was I supposed to buy them myself? I left the “lid” open for housekeeping to see, but they just pushed it down. It was also a nice Chinese tea set in the room, with the famous Longjing tea and the mineral water that complements it. When I had used the tea, they did not refill that either.

The hotel is new, but already it is possible to see that things will soon begin to look “worn down”. The desk chair had stains; the nightstand was full of scratches etc. In a year or two, this hotel is going to look years older than it really is. A pity, really.

The receptionists and staff were all extremely helpful and friendly. They helped me book train tickets, and answered every question promptly. This was, for me, where the hotel really stood out. The location was not the best – but it was an easy taxi ride out to the West Lake etc. (RMB15). You could also rent a bike at the hotel for free, and get to the lake in about 20 minutes. I recommend taking a taxi, and rent a bike at the lake. The only problem with the hotel (and it turned out to be a major one) was that almost none of the taxi drivers knew where it was. Even when I presented them with the “business card” from the hotel, with a map, they refused to take me. One day I tried for almost an hour (and asked over 20 taxis), and found the whole thing very stressful. In the end I wrote down the address for Marriott Hotel in Chinese, which is 15 minutes’ walk away. That did the trick.

If you walk out from hotel and turn left, you will see a bakery (Casa Miel) almost immediately. After two minutes’, there is a gate on you left hand side. Walk through it, and you will find a convenience store on your right hand side. Right next to the gate (on the street), there is a great little Chinese steamed bun stand (RMB1,5). Write down the word for “meat”, if you prefer that to spinach.

I would definitely recommend the hotel to other travellers. I got an excellent price (RMB400), and the taxis not knowing where the hotel is, can only get better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
      Cleanliness
4 Thank TheSuitcase
lucia z, General Manager at The East Hotel Hangzhou, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear TheSuitcase,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your recent stay at The East Hotel Hangzhou on tripadvisor.com

I am delighted to know that your stay was a pleasant one and that you recommend us to other.Sorry for the capsules and did not refill the tea. Hotel will try every effort to make a better level of service quality.

We hope to see you soon again and do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservations here at West Lake.

LuFeng