“Very good hotel”

Zhejiang Xizi Hotel
Ranked #35 of 2,446 Hotels in Hangzhou
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I went there during my trip in china because i wanted to offer myself one very good hotel (in the others cities i went in youth hostels) and it was i seen in the pictures in the website. The room was big, with TV, internet, beautiful bathroom and other services. The room-service is also very good, the restaurant too. There is a swimming-pool and a fitness center. Everything is calm, there were not a lot of people. The surrounding is wonderfull with the lake and big gardens. The Leifeng pagoda is just near the hotel and is very good to visit. The only negative points is that my air conditionning was bloked very cold and even with 3 intervention, nobody could change this.
I recommend it for romantic trips.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo

An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 31 March 2009

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed 11 October 2008

Stating life threatening asthma and allergy concerns, my Chinese speaking colleage requested a non-smoking room at this hotel for a critical business trip in Hangzhou, a beautiful city.

It took us two days to reach Hangzhou by plane for this occasion, and when we arrived, we found that the halls were dim and dirty and smelled like smoke. Our room was a SMOKING room, with the beds unmade, and ashes all over the tables. The walls were badly cracking (we had reserved one of their more expensive rooms) and the floor was dirty.

When we asked for another room due to our health issues, we were denied. Furthermore, the hotel refused to return our payment for the room (we had to pay in advance for our booking). This incident cost us several hours and lost us our business meeting that we had travelled so far for.

We do not recommend booking this hotel, unless you smoke (heavily). The location is great, but the condition of the hotel is poor by any standard.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank Time-and-Away
Reviewed 9 September 2008

If you want to experience West Lake, this is the hotel. The room we stayed in was literally 20 feet from the lake. Great view. Perhaps these were some of the better rooms, but with the exchange rates in our favor, pay for the best and it's still cheap for what you get. The hotel apparently was/is used for state events. Some military big shots were there when we stayed so we had to go through a bit more security that usual getting in. They also wouldn't let us walk towards the boat docks. I'm sure that doesn't happen all the time. This hotel is spotless, pristine, actually. The condition of the hotel and the quality of the fixtures was top notch. If there is any criticism, the hotel seemed TOO perfect. It also seemed like there weren't many guests. We were only there a couple of nights, but I think if your destination is West Lake, this would be a good spot. The grounds are big and if you like to take long strolls in a beautiful setting next to the lake, this is the place. The only restaurant we went to was the Western one for breakfast. They did a good job. I'm not sure how their English was. I was with my Chinese wife, so she did all the talking.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2008

The location of this hotel on the south side of the West Lake is superb. There are magnificent views from the large garden park in which the hotel is set. The hotel consists of a Reception building, an indoor swimming pool (which looks very different from the picture on the website), 2 restaurants (Chinese and Western), a teahouse and around 8 very large villa's with rooms for guests. Villa number 6 is near the Reception and has mainly standard guest rooms and some larger rooms. No views on the lake from this building. Best building is number 1 where all the high guests are staying. Number 3 and number 8 are right on the lake side, so some of their rooms must have superb views.
Our rooms were all reasonably clean.

The things we did not like about this hotel: the staff in the reception building. It is a typical Chinese government kept hotel and the staff is not trained in hospitality towards guests. They were very unfriendly and even downright rude once when I wanted to extend our stay. They plainly told me I did not have enough money on the credit card so I could not stay more nights. As my credit card has not limit I was quite flustered by their remark. After some pushing from my side they were finally willing to extend our stay in the hotel. Later they said they wanted to change our rooms because they had a group coming in and they needed our rooms. I was not willing to pack my things and change rooms and they insisted they only had vacant rooms in the higher price class, we would have to pay 1425Y instead of the 837Y we were paying per room. I refused. I had noticed that there was plenty of vancancy during our stay, so why not find some other rooms for the arriving guests. Finally we were allowed to keep 2 of the rooms and 1 of our party had to move.
Furthermore in order to get a taxi you need to walk to the street outside the hotel. And when re entering the hotel compound do not forget to bring the booklet with the roomcard or else they will not let you in.
Internet is not free of charge as their info on the booking site says and also there is no bowling alley on the hotel grounds.
The restaurants are a good options, though it is much cheaper to dine in the city. The Chinese food was good qualtiy, the Western style restaurant only offered buffet, which looked good but is overpriced. Breakfast is in the Western restaurant.
One last thing: when booking you can choose between smoking and non-smoking. However as we found out, a non-smoking room means you are not smoking in the room during your stay. But in case you would like to smoke, ashtrays and matches are provided.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank LinAnna
Reviewed 9 April 2008

Upon arrival, until departure the staff were professional and courtous.This hotel located nearby the West Lake, so it has absolutely incredibly beautiful, tranquil Chinese garden which extremely well kept and attractive.Besides, the price here is reasonable and accessible.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo