“Very tired”

SSAW Hotel Hubin
Ranked #748 of 2,351 Hotels in Hangzhou
“Very tired”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

We are regular Ssaw patrons and first time at this Hangzhou hotel. Great location but the rooms are very tired, and the air con really noisy. Staff very unhelpful and breakfast hot meals were cold. Could not recommend.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ecotravelz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Overall it's not a bad choice. Location: walking distance to west lake (15 min), a night market (5 min) and he fang road (20 min), convenience store around the corner (2 min), KFC and McDonalds (5 min). Being within walking distance saves the hassle of haggling with the taxi driver.
Room: small, couldn't smell any sign of smoke in a non-smoking room, clean towels, hot shower, comfy bed. No fridge in room and had to get ice from the 8th floor but the hotel did not provide ice buckets so ended up filling a plastic bag with ice and used the bathroom sink as an ice bucket for cold beer. Not very sound proof, can hear people walking through the corridor.
Service: not much service but staff attitude was acceptable but conversed in simple mandarin.
Price for value: although good location, the building itself and its amenities were not great, for a room in china, the price could be more competitive.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Mhnchoi23
Guangzhou
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

This is a terrible hotel the staff are rude. You pay for a good room with a sea view and get one facing a brick wall but still get charged the higher price. In the middle of the night you will have a screaming fight going on between a man and a woman as he beats her up outside your room. The food is terrible. The room is tacky, well the only one I saw was. Avoid this place like the plague. I booked through CTRIP and have given this review there.

Room Tip: Don't go here
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Hangzhou hotels

Yuyao
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed here for 3 days and 2 nights this past week, and honestly I wish I could have stayed longer. For the price, wasn't expecting much but upon arrival I was pleasantly surprised. I booked through the booking.com website and received a rate about 600 kuai cheaper than if I had booked at the hotel.

When I got to my room, I noticed that it didn't look like what I thought I had reserved. Even though the room was nice and modern, I wanted to get the room that I believed I had reserved. When I went down to the reception desk, I talked to the woman at the front desk, and she 'upgraded' me for free. My 2nd room had a full seating area, and even more amenities than I had anticipated.

The room was nice, clean, and modernly furnished. The air was cold, and quick to spread around the room. They had several 3 English channels including the BBC News, HBO, and a Japanese English Channel that was based in Tokyo. My bay window had a great view of the city, and I quite enjoyed pouring my tea in the morning from the tea set that was available.

On my 2nd day I went to the breakfast cafe on the 12th floor. Although it isn't 'western' per say, it is sufficient. You can order eggs, they have toast, cereals, croissants, fruit, coffee, and some traditional Chinese options if you would like to try.

The hotel is located on JieFang Road, which runs perpendicular to Hubin Rd, where all the action is. It was a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel to the Westlake.

For a moderately priced Chinese chain hotel, it is worth it. I've had some bad experiences with local chain hotels in this price range, but I will use SSAW in the future.

Note: there are people who speak English, but I did have to use some Mandarin to help me when they weren't immediately available, so don't be shy with your speaking skills. If you don't know any Mandarin, it's okay. One of the staff will promptly get someone who can speak English effectively.

Room Tip: If you offer to pay the cost of the room in advance, they won't make you pay the full room depos...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Zürich
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Hotel rooms very old& used. Walls are thin like paper.service is very bad. No one could speak a word english. They refused to print for us the flight tickets and didn't want to pay us back the deposit (which was higher than the roomprice).

• Stayed July 2013
Siem Reap, Cambodia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

I Happened to see this hotel review on cnngo right before I go to china therefore I decided to book this small hotel thru ctrips with a good deal. I was a bit worried actually when I read some travellers review of local chain hotel in china however since this hotel got a good review from CNN so i give it a try.

The lobby, yes it is quite small as if you were staying in guest house but when i opened my room wew... it was so spacious with the view of the city. I booked Executive room which include breakfast.. breakfast it self was alright, quite number of food to be choosen.. only it was abit difficult to find the restaurant you have to go to 12 floor first then climb up to the 13 floor.

The location is sooo convenient and strategic. it is a stone away from the XiHU Lake and along the way you will find some local restaurant, KFC and even starbuck, meaning you dont have to spend for a transport.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Penang Island, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

We stayed at Ssaw Hubin, Hangzhou for 5 days. It is a small Chinese brand hotel with many Ssaw across China. It is very convenient at Ssaw Hubin though it is not at Hubin Road where many upper end Hotels are located. It is at Jiefeng Road which is one of the busy streets in the city. There are many shopping centres and restaurants in the vicinity . The front dest staff though speak very little English they are helpful . We have private transport arranged by them to Wuzhen. The price was reasonable compare to booking online by Tour Company. We were able to leave our luggage at the Hotel for a few days when we went to Shanghai and Suzhou. The buffet breakfast consists of varieties of local food and limited Western style BF. Hotel guests are mainly local Chinese with few foreigners. Being local habits they speak loudly in public places like in the lobby,restaurant and even in confined area in the lift. Overall comment was Satisfactory and Comfortable. Public transport is very convenient to use. Could get taxi easily .We will definitely stay at Ssaw Hubin during our next visit.

Room Tip: Make sure it is a Non smoking room on higher floor. We are very happy with Room 6826 at the end of 8...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple