“Not a bad stay”

Ranked #140 of 165 Hotels / Ryokan in Sapporo
Singapore
“Not a bad stay”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

From hotel to convenient store is about 10mins walk.

Hotel room looks new. Bathroom and toilet is separated. Room size is considered standard as I have difficulty to walk if 2 huge luggage are placed on the floor. Sheets & towel are clean to be used.

Behind the hotel, there is a stream and you can hear the water flowing sound from the nearby stream.

Dinner and Breakfast served by the hotel has a widespread of choices. The hall is huge enough to accommodate a huge crowd of dinners.

WiFi connection provided in the lobby was strong and there is no trouble with the connection.

However, you may need to be patience with the concierge queue. You may need to wait about 10mins or more just to make a simple enquiry.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shannahs_SG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel for the first night of our family trip to Japan in July 2011. We booked two rooms at 5000 Yen per person. Dinner/breakfast buffets were included.

When we arrived by our rental car we could not locate the entrance to the hotel at all even with GPS. From the outside the hotel looked great, modern and grand. However, once inside, it was so outdated that it reminded me of the hotels that my family stayed in our trip to Japan 30 years ago.

The two rooms that we stayed were clean but very old. However, we knew we would be given outdated rooms without view so it didn't bother us. What bothered us was our rooms were so close to the kitchen that we could smell the kitchen in the corridor. All the amenities are clean but, again, dated. The TV, fridge, table, window curtains sparked the memory of the 60's.

What I could not tolerate is their management of hot spring. You have to take the towels in your room to the spa. In case if you forget, you have to go back to your room to get them because you won't find any spare towel in the changing room, except those in the baskets of other bathers. What happened was our towels got stolen THREE TIMES! The first time was when my sister just placed her stuff in the basket and went to washroom. She returned only to find her two towels were gone! Since she did not speak Japanese I volunteered to ask for help. I was told to go to the front desk to get new towels (by another bather) while she was changing. I came back with new towels and found mine were gone this time! I had to go to the front desk again to ask for another two towels. It was really depressing!

The next morning same thing happened again. When I returned from the hot spring, totally wet, and found things in my basket fiddled with no sight of the towels. I had to put on the yukata and ran to the front desk for towels again! This time one of my hairpin was gone, too. The management could have put some spare towels in the changing room, like what the other ryokans usually do, to stop people from taking things direct from other people's baskets. Moreover, there was NO staff around to help me when things happened.

When my sister and I returned from the lady's hot spring to the room that night, my father and my husband were already there. My father fell in the men's hot spring and bled quite a lot. Other Japanese bathers helped my dad to the men's changing room while my husband ran to the front desk for first-aid. The front desk just gave him Q-tips, cotton, bandaids, and rubbing alcohol. The clerk took down our room number and offered no further help. We had to go to a convenience store to buy some more bandage for future use because it was the first night we were in Japan.

The hot spring itself, to put it nicely, was hot. You probably won't get a very relaxing feeling while bathing there because you have to worry about whether your towels will be in the same place or not.

The food in the buffet was acceptable.

I would never want to go back unless the management does something to help prevent five-finger discount, fix their service problem and be more customer-oriented. It was a nightmare when we stayed there and we definitely would not want to revisit our nightmare again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank beeru

Travellers are raving about these Sapporo hotels