“Modern boutique hotel in a very convenient location”

Cross Hotel Sapporo
Ranked #8 of 171 Hotels / Ryokan in Sapporo
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I stayed at the Cross Hotel for a total of 6 nights recently during the Sapporo Snow Festival. The hotel is a easy 7-10 minute walk from the JR Sapporo station. We arrived via the airport express and wheeled our suitcase to the hotel. Not exactly a walk in the park given the icy and snowy conditions, but nevertheless, we managed to do so. The hotel is easily found, it's essentially one straight road directly from the station's South exit. It is 5-7 minutes walk to Odori park, where all the action was taking place. From Odori Park, Susukino is another 3-5 minutes walk. So from the hotel, everywhere is easily walkable and we found no need to take the subway within the city center.

As we got there early, we checked in, dropped our bags with the receptionists, and took a walk around. We got back after lunch at around 2 pm and was informed our room was ready and our bags are already in the room.

We stayed in a Deluxe Twin room. The room was very spacious and as the deluxe rooms were located at the far end of the floor, away from the lift lobby, so it's very quiet. More than enough space to walk around and to open up our 2 huge suitcases. There's a sitting area as well as a small entrance area in the room. There's coffee/tea making facilities and the usual small refrigerator, but they didn't stock it up with drinks and snacks at cut-throat prices as most hotels were wont to do. The fridge was empty which allowed us to stock up our own drinks and snacks. Amenities were generous and well thought out, and the room was very quiet despite the full occupancy of the hotel. Beds were comfy and there was also a selection of pillows (we were given the typical Japanese pillows which were half filled with beans, but I found a pair of soft feather pillows in the wardrobe). The airconditioning works, so there was no unpleasant experience of an overheated room, which tends to happen during winter in a lot of hotels. There is a large daiyoukojou (public bath) on the top floor of the hotel, which afforded a lovely view of Sapporo city whilst you soak. The water however smelled chlorinated, so I don't think it's a natural mineral onsen as such.

Receptionists and front desk staff were very helpful and friendly, assisted us in restaurant bookings, and suggested alternatives when our first choice was unavailable. Provided maps, directions, recommendations for sightseeing and things to do. Plenty of eateries around the hotel. If the hotel breakfast gets a bit monotonous after a couple of days, there is an excellent bakery (Swan bakery) right next to the hotel. There are also convenience stores at both ends of the block, so stocking up on drinks and such is not a problem.

Our stay was broken up by a few overnight short trips to areas around Sapporo. Every time we re-checked in the following day at around 1-2 pm, we were told the room was ready and our bags were already in the room. We were not charged extra on the one occasion when we checked in well before the check in time.

On one occasion, I left my diamond earrings behind in our room. In a state of panic, I called up the hotel, and was told they had found them and had locked them up for safe keeping. Upon my return the next day, my earrings were indeed packaged up nicely ready for my collection. Needless to say, I was most relieved and commend them on their level of service (and honesty!)

All in all, a very very good experience with this hotel. I would definitely choose Cross Hotel when I am next in Sapporo again.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and book the Deluxe Twin Room. It's a bit weird to sleep on separate beds fr...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WYMC

Reviewed 30 January 2012

The hotel just located in the hear of Sapporo, within 10 mins walk from JR station.
The room is clean and there is a big bathing room in the top floor with the great view.

There are two nice restaurants just next to the hotel and open till 10pm and 11pm, one is selling dumpling and the other is selling BBQ food.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2012

My friend and I stayed here for 2 or 3 nights to end our hokkaido trip. It was great. We got in prior to check in time, they've checked us in but the rooms weren't ready so we left our luggage at the front desk for safekeeping then headed out for lunch. When we got back, the luggage was already in our room waiting.

The room was very clean and much more toiletries were provided than your typical North American chain hotel. Loved the rooftop bath!

Location was great. We were within walking distance to large malls, main train terminal, post office right behind the building and best of all, a very yummy bakery just beside the hotel.

We very much enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Cross Hotel is located somewhere between Sapporo and Odori Station, so you'll have to walk a short distance to get there (slightly difficult with snow on the ground). We dropped our luggage at reception before heading to Otaru for a night and they were very attentive to send it to our room before we checked in the next day. The room was stylish and clean. Toiletries in room was nice. You could have a good view of Sapporo from the onsen.
There's free wifi in the lobby, but somewhat inconsistent at times. The staff were quick to attend to our questions and give recommendations for food. They'll give a 500yen voucher for daimaru if you opt out of housekeeping.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank linglinglingling
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Hotel is located not far from Sapporo Station; very central location in Sapporo.

The service was excellent & the rooms were comfortable. I love the minimalist deco. Stayed here for 2 nights in October, on the first day arriving in Hokkaido, then 4 days later on our last night in Hokkaido.

On the top floor there is an onsen, relaxing to soak in the bath with the fantastic view of Sapporo at night.
Despite the rooms & everything being small, it was very comfortable & clean.
The toiletries are good & I was so impressed with the shower Gel & shampoo / conditioner provided that I tried to find it in shops. Later, after checking with the reception, I learned that it was not available in retail in Hokkaido, only in Tokyo. I later emailed the hotel with the same inquiry & they replied with links to an online store in Japan. Excellent follow up service.
Parking is free for hotel guests, they have a parking service at the hotel.

Next to the hotel, there is a Post office with an ATM machine that serves international ATM customers.

Overall, I was quite happy staying at this hotel. On our last day, we got up late & was 25 mins late for our check out & had to pay an extra 1500 yen. Not a big deal, but something to note if you are going to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank wzahk
Reviewed 1 December 2011

After traveling 15 hours we finally arrived at the hotel at 11am. We were told that the rooms were full and they couldn't check us in till 2pm.

Fair enough and we went out for lunch. Being tired and cold we came back at 1230pm to wait. We found out the the rooms were ready, but they wanted to charge us extra 1,500 yen for it.

So the rooms were available. They just wanted more money.

Ridiculous. We had nothing but great experience since stepping into Japan and this is a terrible let down.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank TravelAllDay2011
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Coming to this hotel during the day you will feel a bit of out of place but in the evening it is an adult lounge. It is going to be a good waiting area when meeting your clients etc. They use black and red as their theme and scattering expensive designer chairs in the area. The view from the roof top bath was really nice. Staff are well educated and they are so helpful. Now my reservations: everything was so stylish at the sacrifice of practicality. I found their phone in the room so difficult to use particularly when hanging up. Switches in the room are somehow on the headboard at the end of the other side of the room so it was very awkward. The wash basin was a beautiful glass but it was too shallow so it splashes water whatever you do. And their breakfast was same everyday so I had to go out to eat although I paid for all breakfast during my stay.

Room Tip: Higher the floor the better view you will get.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business