Nukumori-no-Yado Furukawa
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
Kuriya Suizan(Sapporo)
View Hotel
All reviewstraditional japanese styleexcellent onsenprivate onsensitting areacrabjapanese hospitalitymassage chairwagyu beefsashimihot springsfree shuttletatamiryokanfutonbathskaisekiyukata
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We checked in on the 9th August for our grand finale night, the tenth night in Hokkaido. It was drizzling and about 4-5 staff came running to the entrance to greet, sheltered us and carried our bags and luggages.
The ryokan, big and beautiful with tasteful decorations, together with friendly and helpful staff, looked a picture of warmth and comfort.
We were shown to our tatami rooms and briefed the different places to go for our meals and onsen. After we settled down, one staff came to make tea for us. Toiletries include hair and skin care, sun blocks, feet cooling gels, snoring plasters, mani and pedicure cure packs and many others. A massage chair was also provided in our room.
We changed into yugatas provided and proceeded to the onsen. It was big with indoor and outdoor pools, dressing areas were provided with simple skin care, toothbrushes, shower caps, cold drinking water and even drinking vinegar. We had a good time and thereafter continued to our private dinning room.
Dinner was a 10-course kaiseki, every single dish was tastefully presented and explained by the senior lady staff in attendance. The sashimi of different fishes, peony prawns, sea urchin, was beyond words of description. A wedge of grapefruit was a unique way to end the sashimi and to prepare us for the next dish. Each dish had its own "melting point" in each of our hearts, an experience that would lingered on in our lives.
The buffet breakfast had a good and extensive spread of Japanese cuisines. Staff helped around guests with their food, one very senior male staff even came to ask if we would like to have sushi.
We left about 9am for our flight home. Again the staff assisted in our luggages and bags and waved and bowed while our bus moved along.
Yes, we would definitely like to come back again! We had made a wise choice to stay in this ryokan, a decision with no regrets, but only sweet memories.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank centrisleng
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Japan gives you a choice of "western v. Japanese style" in hotel accommodations. Furukawa offers both; it is a small hotel with many traditional Japanese touches. The staff is always there to greet at every entry you pass through. Kaiseki style dinner and abundant breakfast are amazing, The onsen is uncrowded with sweeping mountain views. Our family vacation here was tranquil, charming and reminiscent of our stay in Shirakawa-Go. Furukawa is the best choice onsen stay in outside of Sapporo!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Imelda A
Reviewed 6 May 2013

My wife and I stayed in this onsen in 06May2013 and found that all the staff from the front desk to the lovely waitress are very friendly and helpful, we felt very warm here and like homed. We will definitely come back and recommend to our friends.

A couple from Hong Kong SAR

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ivan N
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We fell in love with this place the moment we walked in. This is a small onsen hotel in Jozankei and its full of charm and character. We like the japanese decor in the hotel.
Room is japanese style where one sleep on a futon which is comfortable for us.
The kaiseki dinner and buffet breakfast is excellent, good food and great service too.
We came here for the onsen, and spend most of our time here. It was really wonderful soaking in the hot spring water in winter. My favourite is the outdoor onsen.
Hotel provide free bus shuttle from Sapporo which is only an hour ride away. The next morning, we took the same free shuttle back to Sapporo.
This is a wonderful onsen hotel in Jozankei, and if you like onsen, dont miss it. Its worthwhile to spend a night here, just to relax, enjoy the onsen and the delicious kaiseki dinner and buffet breakfast here. There is nothing to see or do in Jozankei, and this place is all about onsen only.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whereisfatboy
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I travel solo quite a bit, so it matters to me how welcoming and comfortable my accommodation is, especially in a country where you don't speak the language.

Furukawa was my first ryokan experience, and I was so delighted with my stay there. The staff were meticulous and helpful, and made every effort to make my stay so warm and pleasant. I didn't feel in the least awkward being one of the few foreign guests in the ryokan.

The onsen baths were pleasant, relaxing and so invigorating. I especially enjoyed the outdoor spa onsen which came as part of a promotional package with my stay.

The food was excellent and dinner was kaiseki-style, I believe. And after a hard day of skiing, a relaxing onsen bath and sumptuous dinner were absolutely the loveliest icing on the cake.

This ryokan was really one of the highlights of my time in Sapporo.

• Stayed: January 2013