“Surprisingly fun”
Review of Moerenuma Park

Moerenuma Park
Ranked #1 of 446 things to do in Sapporo
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I thought the design/architecture sounded interesting enough to warrant the roughly one hour of subway and bus travel to warrant going, but we ended up staying longer and had a great time. This is the opposite of an electronic arcade; you make your own fun. The hills, glass pyramid and fountains are a feast for the eyes and as KanoSouthCarolina says, the people watching is fun. You can stretch your legs on a rental bike $2 for 2 hours (free park admission) and it's fun to make a circuit or two on the 4 km perimeter bike path. Don't miss the sea fountain... I don't want to post a spoiler but I've never seen a fountain do what it does. It starts at 15 after the hour during summer months and lasts 40 minutes. Stay past the big initial geyser. Food choices were really limited; bring snacks. The whole park is sculpture and very cool.

The Tohu subway line from Sapporo station has English signs and it's just 3 stops out. The bus pulls up right outside and -again - it has a sign in English as well as an English announcement. You won't get lost.

5  Thank betsysSacramento
"cherry blossoms"
"sunny day"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We rented bikes to cycling around the park to save time and really enjoyed it. Beautiful landscape. Could not believe that this place used to be garbage dump site. The fountain show is nice and not to be missed.

I lost my glasses somewhere in the park, and got it back from information centre. There was really someone who cares!

2  Thank asianchef
Reviewed 3 July 2013

This was a great park for walking and relaxing. It is a wonderful People watching park that is well used by the local Sapporans. It is also close the shopping and restaurants. It also has music venues and at the time of our visit it had a flower festival going on with many presentations sponsored by companies, it was an amazing display of Floral Artistry.

1  Thank KanoSouthCarolina
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We obtained a 1-day subway and bus pass for Sapporo and headed straight to Moerenuma Park. The park is gorgeous and not to be missed! Some of the playgrounds and sculptures were designed by Isamu Noguchi. Fantastic views at the top of "Play Mountain" and "Mt. Moere". We rented bikes within the park and had the most gorgeous summer ride. It was safe for my 8-year-old daughter since the park is closed to vehicles. Playgrounds for children are dotted throughout the park and my daughter had a field day! We wish we could have stayed longer.

2  Thank hamandjelly
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 January 2013

After I came back from my trip to Moerenuma Park, I shared with the hotel front desk abut my experience & she laughed. It seems that Sapporo citizens know about Moerenuma's desolate & forlorn winter, not the tourists. Here's why: - (1) Strong wind picking up & lifting snow off the ground & into your face so you could not open your eyes, especially if you are walking in a direction that is opposite to the wind, (2) Deep snow that reached almost all the way to your knees. This is terrible if you are not wearing winter boots that reach all the way to your knees. (3) It was almost deserted when I went; the only people I saw were those inside the Glass Pyramid & those playing snow sleigh on the hill in front of the Glass Pyramid. The rest of the park was deserted, well almost. The further you walk away from the Glass Pyramid, the deeper the snow got. So you find your feet suddenly sinking deeply into the snow. I think this is because hardly anyone walks around in winter, so the snow just accummulated & accummlated. Now can you imagine what will happen if you got stuck in the deep snow? Nobody is going to come to your rescue.

I only went to 3 attractions, out of the many there - Glass Pyramid, Moerenuma Mountain & Tetra Mound. I did not manage to go near Tetra Mound because the snow was too deep. What a pity.

If you need to use the toilet, use it all you want inside the Glass Pyramid because once you are outside, there is no freaking toilet in the freezing cold. Oh, all the eateries are closed (!) during winter. So you gotta bring your own food. And bring plenty because one tends to burn more calories during winter. Otherwise, the only food will be the hot potato potage from the vending machine.

20  Thank Harumi18