“It was ok”

Ranked #47 of 166 Hotels / Ryokan in Sapporo
Silver Spring, Maryland
“It was ok”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The location of the hotel was ideal. Away from the crowds of the Ice Festival. Service was outstanding. However the prices in the restaurants was higher than other hotels in downtown Sapporo. But the ease and convenience made it worth it for me. Easy from the Airport and easy to the event. I was hoping the breakfast buffet would be a bit more American.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This hotel is approximately 30-40 mins train ride from Sapporo Chitose airport and it situated pretty much next door to Shin Sapporo Station. One slight difficulty I found during my stay was when I need to wheeled my luggages from the station to the hotel lobby. A heavy thick snow and icy walkway can be a challenge.

I booked 2 rooms for 3 nights stay and was lucky enough to get an upgrade to corner suite (#2804) for one of my room. The check in agent was superb and very friendly in helping me to locate a nice and high floor room. My other room also on this floor #2810. I like to specially thank her, Mijung Han, massively for such a nice hospitality and welcoming gesture. Despite a hotel is full on occupancy since its coincide with Sapporo snow festival. She also gave me a nice suggestion on different restaurants around the area.

The room is nice in size with a coffee table and sofa in one corner. View of a snowy Sapporo was nice. Bathroom is on a small scale and I found the material inside to be cheapish and plasticky. Beside the bed was a small machine with electric plug which I tried to figure out but not sure what it was...may be an air purifier? My other room also has this machine.

Breakfast is complimentary for platinum member and I found the selections to be nice with selection of Japanese and Western. Japanese consists of boiled rice or plain rice, Japanese pickles, 2 type of fishes, boiled tofu, miso soup and so on. I particularly enjoy the pastries (croissant in particular) which I ended up having over 3 pieces/morning. Staff at a restaurants are all friendly and hard working. May be this is normal for Japanese cultures.

I visited the hotel's spa down B1 level on several occasion as its complimentary access for platinum guest. Other guest or outsider people needs to pay I think depends on which facilities they want to use. I see a menu pricing at a spa's counter starting from JPY 2,900. The spa is quite relaxing with hot and cold plunge pool, hot/warm water jacuzzi and sauna. Changing room is large and offer nice Japanese style bathtub. It also comes with relaxation area with bar area.

One thing the hotel needs to be improved on is a provision of in room wifi. I was told only wifi available is the lobby area and at night its rather funny to see a whole herd of people sitting down in the chairs everywhere to go on their tablets/phones/ipads. Surely it does not cost huge amount of money to install a router at a hotel so guest can use wifi from their rooms!!

I will return to stay in the future. Yes, I definitely would should I return to Sapporo again. Thanks once again to Mijung for your kind upgrade.

Room Tip: Higher room give nice view of Sapporo City esp nice in a snowy weather.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night on our trip to Japan. We had just arrived from the airport and this was extremely easy to get to- only a few stops away from the airport on the JR train and there are signs for the hotel once you exit the terminal, so we had no trouble finding it. It is not too far out of the city center, with access to the Tozai line that takes your straight to Odori and other sights. The lobby is quite grand and looks fairly new. The staff we somewhat friendly, but not overly so.

The one bad experience we had was checking in. We arrived at the hotel at 2:45 and went to the front desk to check in. We waited about 10 minutes in line to get to the desk. The front desk agent greeted us warmly and had great English. However, she told us that the standard check in time was 3pm and that we had to wait 15 more minutes to get our passports copied and get our room key. She asked if we planned to go out and what time we would return to get the room key, but we just decided to wait in the lobby a few minutes as we wanted to get our things settled before going out. I can completely understand if the room wasn't ready, but I couldn't understand why she couldn't copy our passports first and just hand us the keys at 3pm. While we were waiting we went over to the concierge desk to ask some questions and at 3pm we went over to the front desk again where we had to queue for another 20 minutes to get our passports copied and get the room key. Also, at peak check-in time 3pm, it seemed that they were understaffed, as only two agents were there to handle a whole group of people that were waiting to check in. Seems there can be some improvement there.

Other than checking in, we were satisfied with other aspects of our stay. The concierge spoke English well enough to help us out with directions and getting our luggage for us that had been delayed at the airport. The room is spacious and cozy and we were upgraded to a room with a nice view of the city. Overall, great stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Shanghai
Reviewed 28 December 2013

The main positive (and negative) of this hotel is its location. It is adjacent the Shin-Sapporo JR train station (and subway stop). This is one stop from the Sapporo JR train station (about 5 - 10 minutes, about $2.50 o/w) and about half hour from the airport (if you take the rapid airport express train, which is about $8.50 o/w). Signs at the train station point you easily to the hotel. Maybe two blocks total walk to hotel entrance from the train itself. Note though that sidewalks aren't necessarily fully shoveled of snow , so might need to drag your suitcase through or over about an inch of it in the winter.

Hotel itself is mediocre. I faced the train station and so had a hard time sleeping. Every 2 minutes would hear a rumble of a train passing. Rooms/bathrooms, like most Japanese hotels, are small. Didn't see a gym but there is a sauna area in basement (additional charge). Not enough outlets in the room for a modern road warrior with lots of gadgets to charge (or a family with lots of phones/tablets).

Also, in-room safe was not actually attached to anything. So, you could put stuff in the safe, but a thief could just take the safe with him/her and open it later. I have a great photo of myself holding it that I posted on Weixin. Of course, Japan is super-safe, so don't really need a safe I guess.

Breakfast was ok. Usual Asian hotel spread including salad, miso soup, egg station, etc. Was able to get a cappuccino, so that's a plus.

Except for train station, don't know what is nearby. Headed into Sapporo for dinner. Lots of restaurants at the Sapporo train station and malls nearby thereto.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. It is not actually in Sapporo and it is still half hour from the airport, so doesn't make a good transit hotel or sightseeing hotel to overcome other deficiencies. Main reason I chose this hotel was loyalty to SPG. Don't think that is enough of a reason for next time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LiangShanBo
Thirai, Director of Rooms at Hotel Emisia Sapporo, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at Sheraton Sapporo Hotel and thank you for taking your time to share your feedback during your stay.

We do our best to provide great service and try to make our guest stays comfortable.

Again, thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to Sheraton Sapporo Hotel in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Very nice hotel, massive.

Just next to subway / bus station, the hotel is well signposted from there.

Room is very nice and big and so comfy.

The downside is no WI-FI available, cannot use mobile phone to connect to WIFI, just only use Ethernet cable to connct to the laptop

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thirai, Director of Rooms at Hotel Emisia Sapporo, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Sheraton Sapporo Hotel and also thank you for sharing your feedback.

For Wireless Internet Access, we are working on and trying our best to provide access as soon as possible. Also, you are able to access internet with Wifi at the lobby area.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Sapporo Hotel in the near future.

Hong Kong
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in an upgraded corner room with 2 beds. Room was nice sized but bathroom was a little small with slightly low water pressure. Had a car so getting around was no issue at all. However, it must be noted it isn't exactly in the city center proper so there isn't much you can do on food around the area though there are some fairly decent restaurants nearby.

Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment though - apart from the delicious croissants, most of the other stuff was meh....

Room Tip: Do note that the sound of the passing trains are quite audible from rooms facing the JR line so requ...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank flitting_bird
Thirai, Director of Rooms at Hotel Emisia Sapporo, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay at the Sheraton Sapporo Hotel.
Your comments is very important to provide best service to guest.

We do try our best to maintain our facility to make guest stay confortable.
Look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Sapporo Hotel in the near future.

Bandung
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed 2 nights at his hotel. Checked in at 12.00pm but the room was not ready. We leaved our luggage at concierge and we went to Sapporo city for lunch.
Located at Shin Sapporo station, traveling by train around 20-30 minutes to Sapporo City. For JR pass holder it's very convenient because traveling to Sapporo Station already covered by JR pass, no need to pay. Hotel location only 5 minutes walk from Shin Sapporo Station.
As we was SPG member, we booked the hotel from SPG web. We booked standard room, but when we arrived at the room, we upgraded to corner room that more spacious from standard room.
The room was small compared to other SPG hotel, but clean and nice. Bathroom have a bathtub. The view from corner room was also very beautiful. Wifi at lobby was free.
Overall very satisfied stayed at Sheraton Sapporo, we will stayed there when we come back to Sapporo.

Room Tip: Corner room have more space than standard room. JR Pass holder no need to pay traveling to Sapporo...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RyanD404
Thirai, Director of Rooms at Hotel Emisia Sapporo, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Sheraotn Sapporo Hotel and also thank you for sharing your experiences during your stay.

We are located at Shin-Sapporo and it is very easy to take a subway, JR train and Bus. We are able to provide some information for tour and resutaurant to make your travel easier.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Sapporo Hotel in the near future.