“How can you go wrong with a museum dedicated to beer?”

Sapporo Beer Museum
Private Sapporo Custom One-Day Tour by Chartered Vehicle
Ranked #14 of 375 things to do in Sapporo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Sapporo is Japan’s most popular beer; this interactive museum includes a tour and beer-tasting.
Seoul, South Korea
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“How can you go wrong with a museum dedicated to beer?”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I visited this 'museum' on one of the last snowy days in early April and I must admit that our initial reason and motivation for going was to sample the beer. In fact, the old factory grounds and building have been well preserved and the small exhibition on the history of the company was very well done.They do have a rather quirky part of the exhibition that is made up of animation like characters living in a beer making paradise! It was a bit strange as they all looked like children- and a couple of them appear to have passed out from too much beer... I guess no place in Japan would be complete without a few obligatory animation characters!

On the walls of another exhibition room leading to the beer hall, all of the posters from past to present are on display. It was rather interesting to see how advertisements/strategies have changed over the decades. Some from long ago were actually rather provocative, but what I noticed most was the sudden gap of any posters during the World War II period. I was left wondering what that meant. Were there no posters then? or for some reason is it no longer appropriate to show posters/promotions from that time?
Once you get to the sample hall, there is a vending machine for tickets that are given to the attendant in exchange for beer. We selected the sample selection of 3 beers for 500 yen. This comes with one free snack- you can choose either a small packet of crackers OR a small packet of locally produced soft cheese, but you cannot have both a packet of cheese and a packet of crackers unless you have two separate tickets for beer!
Overall, we had a good time and enjoyed both the displays and refreshing beer samples. We also had a great lunch at one of the restaurants that make up the complex. This is a small museum promoting beer with a pretty good gift shop for souvenirs and for what it is, it was lovely!

Visited April 2014

• Thai first
Nha Trang, Vietnam
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Must see for beer lovers”
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

First up, we considered not going due to previous reviews mentioning no English tours. Confident in my Japanese ability, we went anyway.

I needn't have worried. When we got there we were given English translations of each display. I found it much more pleasant to go at my ownpace than follow a group.

Downstairs you can taste beers for a good price, although a bit expensive by Japanese standards. I was surprised to find they don't serve meals or food other than ice cream and complimentary cheese or crackers. We hadn't had lunch and made do with souvenir food.

It was a good way to spend a few hours and a must do if in Sapporo.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Jade0919
Akita, Japan
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Hmm...”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

It was interesting, bug if you have been to a beer museum or factory previously, it's quite similar. The beer ice-cream though was a nice experience xP

Visited February 2014
1 Thank KogumaChan
Kensington, Maryland
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“Enjoyable detour”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Having read the previous reviews, I knew what to expect, but went anyway. I had to. Who, from America, goes to Sapporo and doesn't go on the beer tour? It was the only thing on my checklist for Sapporo after spending 2 weeks of snowboarding up in the mountains. It's primarily a tour of the place where the beer used to get made. This is not an active brewery. You get the whole story (in English, if you like, on the supplementary printouts). You can go eat at the Bier Garten (which is directly next door--I went to the wrong place) after if you like. As for the tasting, you get quite a bit of beer for a good price in the tasting. I got the "flight" of 3 beers for 500 yen (about USD$5). It was more beer than I was expecting. Sadly, they all tasted the same (I'm not much of a beer connoisseur, so I'm sure one of them had an oaky flavor or something). In any case, hit up the beer museum, then the bier garten, and then the mall next door. It will make a fun little afternoon excursion.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank TammyS3
Singapore
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Enjoyable tour”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The museum tour is free and the main hall showcases the making of beer in a very cute way by using figurines. Unfortunately the explanation was all in Japanese and you need to refer to another document provided by the staff.

You can taste their beer but they only have 3 types of alcoholic ones, and a couple of non-alcoholic beers. You can sample by paying either 500 yen for a flute of 3 glasses, or 200 yen for a glass, where you can buy the coupon from a vending machine on the 1st level. For kids, they can get their ice cream while waiting for their parents to sample the beers. For those bored with beer, you may also shop at their souvenir shop, which carries quite unique products.

I quite enjoyed the tour and it's a pleasant place to spend an hour or 2 if you are interested to know more about the history of Sapporo beer making.

Visited December 2013